shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this sapphire too dark?

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased this from Caysie at CVB ID as a potential center stone for my SO's engagement ring-to-be. VVS2, 2.78 carats, teal blue. The stone is just the right size, and she loves the sparkle, but we're both concerned it would be too dark when set. I've got a photo of it in the case, plus photos taken under florescent and incandescent light. It's dark outside and due to be cloudy tomorrow, so no natural light. Besides, we figure she'd be looking at it indoors most of the time anyway.

Incandescent:

Sapphire01.jpg

Florescent:

Sapphire02.jpg

In the box:

Sapphire03.jpg

Thoughts? She wants it set in yellow gold, ideally something like Caysie's "Jessica" setting. This is our first attempt at gemstone buying for the ring, and I want to make sure she's got something awesome that she'll love!

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is too dark for my tastes. No doubt there is somebody out there who loves dark teals, but if you have any doubts about the stone, don't go through with the purchase. Keep looking until you're sure you've "got something awesome that she'll love". =)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say it’s too dark but I prefer medium blue. Generally speaking dark sapphires will look darker when set.

If Caysie is doing your setting, you should ask her about this in terms of how you plan to set it.

ETA: it is a beautiful dark stone. Do you love it is the question.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s too dark for me. I’m glad you’re thinking about indoors because she likely won’t have it outside in natural light all the time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 3 stone sapphire ring that is too dark
it really bugs me
Maybe keep looking if you have even the slightest doubt

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's too dark and undersaturated. Dark is OK if it's pure blue (or even teal, in this case) and not gray, imo. That said, it could be an excellent value. An attractive stone in that size range should be five figures.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that it’s too dark. If you have doubts now, they’ll continue later. Like @Daisys and Diamonds , I had a three stone that was too dark and ended up paying a lot to replace the stone (my options were limited as I needed a certain size as my husband was attached to the setting). Go with your gut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When in doubt, trust your gut. We all have preferences and for me, that particular stone is too dark and will most likely not look any better once set.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Probably is if you are already doubtful now. Will you be returning?

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
GF is going to take another look at it today, but I've told her that if she doesn't adore it, we should return it. Lots of fish in the sea (though not a lot of 2.78 ct sapphires for less than $2k). It's a great size for the price, but she needs something that makes her heart sing when she looks at it every day. I'm sure somebody else will snap it up in a heartbeat.

I don't plan to propose until the end of the year, but I saw this stone and it seemed like an amazing buy I didn't want to pass up. If I send it back, I've got plenty of time to find something else, and I'm sure I'll make a new thread with various options :) She's never had a gemstone ring before and is very excited about it, so I want it to be stunning!

Edit: I'm sure in my price range ($2.5-3K) I'll be looking at spinel, but does anyone have recommendations for another type of stone that could be reasonably durable for an engagement ring? She's not super clumsy (unlike me, lol), and loves teal rather than the true blue of a regular sapphire. We've looked at Montana sapphires, but of course at the size she prefers they're out of my price range. I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

wrap the pavilion and just up to the girdle of the stone carefully in aluminum or gold tone foil. Not an exact science - but a good approximation. The setting you chose is pretty closed up, I think?

From the pictures, the sapphire looks lovely in strong lighting, and I’m sure you know, not that many look stunning in all various lightings. It sounds like you are aware of trade offs and that’ll make your journey easier. Be sure to keep color likes/dislikes and what’s acceptable to you and your SO well over what you read here and possibly hear from the vendor.

Have you expressed your thoughts to CVB? Maybe she has alternate stone available?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Edit: I'm sure in my price range ($2.5-3K) I'll be looking at spinel, but does anyone have recommendations for another type of stone that could be reasonably durable for an engagement ring? She's not super clumsy (unlike me, lol), and loves teal rather than the true blue of a regular sapphire. We've looked at Montana sapphires, but of course at the size she prefers they're out of my price range. I'm open to suggestions!
If she is open to a pear shaped stone, this one looks like beautiful blue/green and it‘s well cut, plus it’s 25% off right now.
64C4F407-3F52-4A61-A313-47BE77204B82.jpeg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tbh these colored sapphires resemble the Burmese blue spinels that carry some green in them, though your stone is sparklier. These colored spinels are much more affordable too.

Go with your gut feel!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphires tend to drive me nuts because of the differences in how they look indoors vs outdoors, etc. I usually take the least flattering look in whatever lighting and decide if I can live with it, and also consider where I will be wearing it. If you're questioning it now, do you think you'll always be wondering about the color? Would you prefer a stone that made you say, "Wow!" when you first saw it?

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! We shipped it back yesterday. I'll stay on the lookout. She's never been into gemstones, so she said it doesn't know what it means to see a stone that makes your heart sing. I said that you know it when it happens.

I just hope we don't run into too many duds. That $40 return Fedex shipping hurt :???:

@2Neezers that's a gorgeous color! She doesn't want a pear shape, though, since her one ring is also a lovely jade pear. Her favorite cut is OEC, which is a hard sell with colored stones, so luckily she's not set on it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw this on Loupe Troop. It’s a 2.5 carat blue spinel $1,100. Lovely colour with an added bonus of turning purple hued in certain fluorescent lighting conditions. Very cool.
unusual shape and cut which I think is a bonus for an engagement ring. BBEFE565-9088-44C9-85CA-D8AF0E0DA712.jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If the color must be greenish blue, then Montana are the best. Their colors are rare from any other place.

This is something else www

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Teal WWW color sample

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would rather have a baby blue or aqua than something too dark. Congratulations on your engagement and happy gem hunting!

Reactions: AV_

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Have these been mentioned?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is the kind of not too dark green/blue I expect from Montana: www The setting might be too far beyond budget, or not; another sapphire ring of the more classic violet/blue shade is well below www

you may need to log in to see details, it is rather worth the trouble IMHO

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow--I haven't been able to get on Pricescope for the last few days, so I missed the additions. I'm going through all of them now. Y'all are so helpful, thank you!!

Montana sapphires have definitely been on the list for a while, since she says they match my eyes. <3

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Just noticed - montana sapphires www

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Apologies in advance, because this thread is probably going to be updated stone by stone as I continue the hunt!

I showed her several Montana sapphires, including specimens from this thread, but her eyes didn't really light up until we ran across this:

https://www.gemrite.com/gems/348-blue-sapphire-170-cts.html

I've sent an inquiry asking for video footage of the stone in incandescent lighting, but do PSers see any warning signs before I take the leap? I know I get a 14 day refund period, but I'm assuming it doesn't come with free return shipping, and that adds up over time...

Edit: also, we're open to less expensive stone types, since she's pretty careful and durability isn't the biggest concern. I'm looking at spinel, of course, but there's also aquamarine, tourmaline, zircon...so many options!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Gemrite stone is very pretty and definitely wouldn't be overly dark and the color shift adds interest. My only hesitation would be that it is an SI clarity, which seems to be common for Umba sapphires. I would ask John at what distance can inclusions be seen by the eye? If it were my e-ring, I would want it to be eye clean at arms length.
Since you mentioned Spinel as an option, Rioux Rocks recently posted a nice looking light blue stone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results