shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this sapphire rare?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if it is rare, but, though it may not look as spectacular in real life (and seems to be a bit on the shallow side and not terribly well cut), I certainly think it''s really neat!

"Very Rare Written About In R.W.Hughes'' Acclaimed Book"

???
Interesting. Anyone care to comment?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rare... as in "odd". I am not a sapphire cuter, but from the little I know, severe color zoning is not all that rare - just avoided whenever present. These guys made the rare decission to cut that stone anyway even if it is going to be patchy. I've see a few like this - if the color separation is visible (so that you can see patches of different colors, not overall gray blurr), they are interesting and attractive. Sort of curiosity...

Bicolor sapphire is nothing "traditional", but pieces cut rectangular to show a clear line of color separation are the usually thought from such material. It ia hard to tell if some color combination is more frequent - there are unusual curiosities made few and far between for the small public of gem freaks.
9.gif

Look here

bcs174.jpg

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
In Richard Hugues book you can find several rarity statements about colors. For exemple he say that "the finest green sapphires come from Sri lanka but are extremely rare" on page 222...
But rarity is not really a statement of quality. I can show you a lot of rare stones, but very few are valuable! Anyway if the stone is pleasant for its color and cut, has a clarity and the price that fits you, then if its a rare stone: why not? It just means that your collegue wife will probably not have the same next week... LOL
But to come back to the stone, it is clear that bicolor pink and green is not a common feature! It is a rare combination for sure.
All the best,

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Here is I have a bi-colored sapphire, too
5.gif
The colors are blue and purple.

NSappPrTund 1.60ct. 12B.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
TKC you have posted quite a number of gemstones on threads which you didnt start, why not start a thread where you post all of your loviles?

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/29/2005 2:55:18 PM
Author:TKC
Hey guys, I see a unique colored sapphire on ebay. Is this kind of color rare? Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10262&item=4998438605&rd=1

Any suggestion? The seller wrote 'Very Rare Written About In R.W.Hughes' Acclaimed Book' in the subtitle. Do you guys have any info about the subtitle? Thanks

I've never seen this stone, and since the seller did not see fit to quote the section in my book that I wrote about such stones, I am completely clueless. I guess I should be flattered, but I'm not. It's like those who quote Leviticus in the Bible as their justification to hate gays:

You shall not lie with a man as with a woman, it is an abomination.

Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13

They conveniently leave out this bit:

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

Leviticus 25:44-45

And this:

Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material.

Leviticus 19:19

It is an abomination to eat pork

Leviticus 11:7

It is an abomination to eat lobster and shrimp

Leviticus 11:10

If your brother dies, you are commanded to take his wife as your own

Deuteronomy 25:5–10

To paraphrase Elvis Costello, I used to get disgusted, now I'm just amused.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
But since their wings have got rusted,
you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/30/2005 11:43:20 PM
Author: MJO

Ah, another Elvis fan.
35.gif
Saw him play twice in ''77. His first five or six albums defined what rock ''n roll is all about. For me, Elvis is not just in the house, he never left. Deserves a place with Dylan and Lou Reed as the greatest lyricists of rock.

It''s kind of stupid, but one of my favorite cuts of his is "Motel Matches." Who could possibily have come up with that refrain:

boys everywhere fumbling with the catches
I struck lucky with motel matches
falling for you without a second look
falling out of your open pocket book
giving you away like motel matches

I wake with the siren of an emergency
though your mind is full of love
in your eyes there is a big conceit
and you know what I do
when the light outside changes from red to blue

Don''t get me started. Next thing you know, I''ve be waxing about lipstick vogue and life on the beat... (or is it the upbeat?)

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/31/2005 7:14:04 PM
Author: Richard Hughes

Date: 5/30/2005 11:43:20 PM
Author: MJO

Ah, another Elvis fan.
35.gif
Saw him play twice in ''77. His first five or six albums defined what rock ''n roll is all about. For me, Elvis is not just in the house, he never left. Deserves a place with Dylan and Lou Reed as the greatest lyricists of rock.

It''s kind of stupid, but one of my favorite cuts of his is ''Motel Matches.'' Who could possibily have come up with that refrain:

boys everywhere fumbling with the catches
I struck lucky with motel matches
falling for you without a second look
falling out of your open pocket book
giving you away like motel matches

I wake with the siren of an emergency
though your mind is full of love
in your eyes there is a big conceit
and you know what I do
when the light outside changes from red to blue

Don''t get me started. Next thing you know, I''ve be waxing about lipstick vogue and life on the beat... (or is it the upbeat?)
The two best story tellers to me are Elvis and Bruce. I never saw Elvis in concert but have seen Bruce about 30 times since I started listening to him in ''74.

Elvis has such an unbeleiveable upbeat beat to such downbeat words. It took me years to figure out that Veronica is about an old lady in a nursing home whose losing her memory. What a poet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results