shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this princess depth outrageous?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ava15

Rough_Rock
I''ve had my "latest" princess cut stone from the B & M store for about 3 weeks. I have a 90 day return policy.

If you have kept track of my adventure, I traded my first princess cut in because I discovered it was an I1 stone, .81 carat (e color) but with several black inclusions. (My peppered stone.)

My new stone is a .70 carat, vs2, H color, with the following dimensions: 4.72 x 4.64 x 3.69

I think this means the depth is 80%. (It is certified, but did not come with the full report, so I only have the dimensions above)

In some lighting, it seems quite smaller than my previous .80 carat one...but those black peppers were driving me nuts.

What do the princess experts think of my latest stone? My husband does not feel comfortable buying online....so I am working with my b & m store. (Or trying to....)

I like the clarity, color but wish it were larger. It is currently set in a 2.5 mm white gold cathedral. Comments?

Am I becoming a nit picky pricescoper? Unfortunately, I do not have unlimited funds...and really wanted a princess cut for my upgrade.

JogiaDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
By my calculations, the total depth percentage is 78.8%, which isn''t at all "outrageous". I''ve seen many princess cuts around the 77-78% range come out with Ideal AGS light performance.

Of course total depth doesn''t tell us a lot about how the diamond is cut, proportion info or ASET images would help.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
While the stone may be well cut, chances are it was cut to retain weight. Is your stone just the most amazing stone you''ve seen? If not, I would probably see if you could trade it. In the size you''re looking at you could easily get an I/SI stone that would face up bigger and most likely not be noticeably different in color/clarity. I think you can get a good stone at decent price from a B&M shop if you know what similar stones are going for online. Have you tried having your vendor call in a list stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can''t tell much without detailed photos or an ASET image as Jogia says, also not much by numbers. The main thing is do you love it? It sounds as if you have doubts, so might it be worth if you are tied to this store, looking at some other diamonds?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is facing up slightly small but not dramatically so (avg 4.68 mm). An average spread in the 4.80 range would be in-line with what we'd hope from well-cut 70 pointers.

Do you have information on the table and girdle? If it has a small table increased crown height could lend itself to great fire in the performance. Many beautiful princess cuts with such tables come with depths in the high 70s. If the table is large it may indicate that weight is hiding in the girdle - or the pavilion depending on how it was cut.

We can predict only-so-much without something like an ASET - and then only-so-much more. Most important is what you are seeing. Does it have life in its performance that you love? What do you see when you compare it to other princess cuts of similar size under a few different lighting conditions?

Ava15

Rough_Rock
I have ordered the full "certified report."

So, as soon as I receive it I will share the info with everyone to see what their advice is.

Ava15

Rough_Rock
I received my full report and here are the stats:

Measurement: 4.72 x 4.64 x 3.69 mm

Weight: .70 ct

Depth: 79.7%
Table: 81%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick polished
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity: VS 2

Color: H

It has two extra facets on the top and bottom of the stone. And a few featherrs here and there.
Flourescence: Moderate, Blue

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi again Ava,

Seeing the table and girdle info it looks like that depth is in the pavilion. While I''ve seen dynamite princess cut at this depth their tables are usually much smaller. Without an ASET image we can''t judge the performance qualities. What is most important is how it appears to your eyes of course.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From which lab is the grading report?

Ava15

Rough_Rock
The lab that graded the diamond is AIG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results