shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Yesterday I visited a reputable gem and jewellery shop selling a variety of cut and uncut stones. I wandered around admiring all the beauty when I saw the sapphires. There were four pink sapphires for sale, all under a carat, all heat treated only. But there was something different about one of them. It was peach colored, a clear mixture of pink and orange. I bought it. Is it possible that jewellers in South Africa would let a pad slip through their fingers without knowing its true worth???

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, one of the largest red diamonds ever found was once sold as a garnet, so it''s possible, but look out for a possible hint of brown, inclusions that could affect the gem''s durability, making sure it''s certed etc.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is possible (and I hope so for you) but there are other explanations:-

1. It could have fluorescence which will make it appear pink/peach/brown all at the same time and then more to one colour in certain lighting conditions;
2. It could be BE diffused. One of the most typically replicated "looks" is that of a Padparadscha.
3. It could be a garnet or another gemstone (highly doubtful but you never know)!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is possible but the chance of it is slim. Perhaps they suspect it has been treated with more than just regular heat? Perhaps they know the colouring will not pass muster with the labs as padparadscha? Just because it is pink and orange does not automatically mean it is a padparadscha; there are a set of requirements that it must meet before deserving that designation.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2010 6:30:23 AM
Author:kribbie
Yesterday I visited a reputable gem and jewellery shop selling a variety of cut and uncut stones. I wandered around admiring all the beauty when I saw the sapphires. There were four pink sapphires for sale, all under a carat, all heat treated only. But there was something different about one of them. It was peach colored, a clear mixture of pink and orange. I bought it. Is it possible that jewellers in South Africa would let a pad slip through their fingers without knowing its true worth???
Peach isn''t a mixture of pink and orange, but more pink and brown. It could have been a lower quality pink/peach sapphire. Besides, these days, who knows what exempifies a padaparadcha? I''ve seen so many various hues of pink/orange sapphires and some were called padparadscha and were not.
33.gif

gnopals

Rough_Rock
If you could post a picture we might have a better idea, but yes I see no reason why it couldn''t be possible especially in that part of the world. As stated though it could also be BE treated or suspected as being so and without a lab test or more info about its history you couldn''t be 100% sure. It would be nice to see a pic regardless.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I will post a pic asap so you can all give me your opinions.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know but the color sounds pretty.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
All in different lighting... Wow, this stone was hard to photograph!!!

Pad (1) (Large).jpg

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
another... it was a bit dark

Pad (2) (Large).jpg

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
It has a large window, some extinction and silk, but it is still pretty.
1.gif

Pad (Large).jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea, but it sure is pretty!~

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that looks EXACTLY like a Pad I bought recently (untreated). If you search the forum you'll find my pictures. Curiously it's the same cut as well!!!

Can you check to see whether it fluoresces? Mine has very very very strong fluor which is why it has so many personalities!

I haven't lost mine have I?
33.gif
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It would take an expert to determine wether it fits the criteria to be called a pad, but in my non-expert opinion it sure looks like one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have inclusions (I think you said silk)? It could still be BE-treated with inclusions, but if it has absolutely none, that's suspect of a synthetic. I really would send it to a lab, otherwise, detemining it's worth is futile.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Sure is pretty, whatever it is!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I can''t help you, but I just wanted to tell you that it is very pretty!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I love the color!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice photographs...I wanted to say it has the color of a debutante''s blush. Soft and pastel. Wish you luck with identification!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
It looks very pretty, no matter what it ends up being called. What do you plan to do with it?

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I am no expert but it looks too pale to be BE treated. I recently bought a stone that, though sold as natural, is pretty obviously BE treated. The color on the stone is quite saturated and perfect 50/50 orangepink.

Your stone looks rather more like the natural pads I have seen. You may have gotten very lucky!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 10:17:52 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Well that looks EXACTLY like a Pad I bought recently (untreated). If you search the forum you''ll find my pictures. Curiously it''s the same cut as well!!!

Can you check to see whether it fluoresces? Mine has very very very strong fluor which is why it has so many personalities!

I haven''t lost mine have I?
33.gif
9.gif
2.gif
They are similar aren''t they?
How do I check that?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure looks a pastel light orange pink to me in your pictures too. Unless you are willing to send it to a lab for paperwork and spend close to $200 for it, we’ll never know for sure, but at this point, I’d say you may well have snagged a deal on this sapphire.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 10:42:32 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Does it have inclusions (I think you said silk)? It could still be BE-treated with inclusions, but if it has absolutely none, that''s suspect of a synthetic. I really would send it to a lab, otherwise, detemining it''s worth is futile.
The third picture shows a few of the inclusions I can see.
I am trying to find a lab here, I''m not keen to ship it overseas. In SA, things get "misplaced" in customs all the time.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results