shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this overkill for cleaning diamonds?!

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Fellow PSers please enlighten me. This is how i clean my diamond rings. Every morning when i wake up, i place my rings in this beautiful crystal bowl which contains bottled water and some Palmolive. I let it sit there for about 30 minutes to an hour, dry them off with a lint free cloth and go. I must say, the diamonds look gorgeous! By the end of the day, it seems like the diamonds have accumulated grime already, which is not surprising sincd diamonds have spent the majority of their lives in a pigsty but i digress. Thennnnnn, every saturday, i use the Diamond Dazzle stick and then immediately place the rings in an ultrasonic bath that also contains water and Palmolive, followed by the steamer. The rings are set in platinum 900. Is this safe or am i being too rough with the rings? I should also mention that it is a halo ring set in pave all around the ring 360 degrees, complete with two matching pave eternity wedding bands. Again, my concern is that by cleaning the rings so often, the setting and/or diamonds will be affected. Am i just being paranoid?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Water, a soft toothbrush and some liquid soft won’t damage your diamonds or platinium. The only concern I have with the ultrasonic cleaners is that they work on micro vibrations. I’m not sure if, over time and frequent use, that it might have an effect on the setting ie loosen the prongs perhaps for any melee you have. Little diamonds don’t have “much” holding them in. Maybe someone who is in the trade might chime in with their professional thoughts on ultrasonic cleaners.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean my rings, thoroughly (with dawn dish soap, windex, rubbing alcohol, shined with a lint-free cloth) every 2-3 Days, unless something happens to the diamonds, and they get filthy & I have to clean them, sooner.
In between, I use rubbing alcohol on the diamonds, and shine with a lint-free cloth. Any lint or speckles of anything disappear, and they look brand new!
Not sure if there is such a thing as over-cleaning your jewelry, but I’m certain it could contribute to loose prongs, or loose stones, at some point.
That can be avoided with regular inspection at a jeweler to ensure your prongs are tight, the metal is strong, and your diamonds are secure.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s great that you are keeping your rings sparkly clean! Soaking in mild dish soap and the Dazzle Stik are no problem for your platinum settings and diamonds or the steamer. The step that concerns me is the ultrasonic with your pave. Be careful as they can be vibrated loose and fall out.

Edit: Oops @Bron357 I was typing basically the samething when you responded. So I’ll just second it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I concur with the ultrasonic use - particularly with pave. And always be sure that the rings are rinsed thoroughly after being soaked in soapy water!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ultrasonic is a big NO for pave.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a fan of the dazzle stick. For me it does not clean as well as Dawn and almost appears to leave a slight film. With a step cut that difference seems more noticeable.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I clean my jewelry in professional ultrasonic daily. The only time I do not is when I am travelling, then I use an electric or any soft toothbrush and dish soap and always thoroughly rinse and dry with lint free cloth or paper towels.

It is very important to rinse diamonds after using any chemical agent whether dish soap or anything else and dry, otherwise you either get a film all over which will also attract more grease or you get stains.

Like I mentioned here before and ultrasonic is NOT a no at all. I clean my pave daily in it, whether it is halo, micropave on the shank, on a necklace, whereever and most people own a home ultrasonic which is much more gentle than the pro versions and usually without heat. Sometimes I leave them in a long time like after a long trip and have not had a problem for years.

The main thing is the condition/quality of setting. The best setters can make mistakes too and here and there a stone can fall out, yes they do usually test them out in an ultra. Yes, if there is a faulty or damaged setting, a stone can fall out but at least it will be in the ultra. I knocked small stones out using a hard toothbrush too hard. The steam can also blow a stone out of a lose setting. The ultrasonic itself does NOT damage stones or settings, a stone can come out from an already lose setting in it just like in other circumstances too. Remember to always clean your pieces one by one to avoid damage though. Rinse after this too and dry.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would a channel set diamond band be okay - some of the diamonds look like they're almost touching and I'm worried the micro vibrations could chip/scratch the edges.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It is very important to rinse diamonds after using any chemical agent whether dish soap or anything else and dry, otherwise you either get a film all over which will also attract more grease or you get stains.
Very true, good rinse is essential!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In my opinion an ultrasonic is essential especially if you do not clean your jewelry every day or very regularly. Anything else such as a steamer is extra.
Tanalasta if the stones are set well, it is not a problem.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your ring is getting notably dull and needs daily cleaning, I'm left to wonder what you are encountering during your day. Do you wear it at all times (cooking, showering, exercising, etc.)? Is is your work that is casing the yuck?

I think that a daily scrub in palmolive (assuming we are talking the old fashion green kind with no lotions -- if not -- switch to blue dawn), with a soft toothbrush and rinsing well is a great way to clean the ring. I would be very cautious about the Dazzle stick. They contain a polymer that builds up and can be a beast to remove. I reserve them for my oldest vintage rings that can use a little glossing over the flaws. I love the applicator and have dumped out the solution and use the nice stiff bristles.

Also, the step you are missing to checking your ring/prongs. Buy a good 10 or 20x loupe and check your setting weekly. Look at all the prongs and make sure they have good contact and are even. If you do that, then pave risk is very low. Also, as PP stated, after any cleaning and rinsing with water, I rinse with rubbing alcohol to get the water out of the tiny spaces. I probably clean my daily ring 1/week unless I get into really gross stuff. I dump it periodically in alcohol between cleanings to disinfect. Once simply does not see the world the same after several semesters of microbiology course-work.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with what rocky said. I suspect the problem is that OP is not rinsing after the soapy bath since she did not mention it.
I would never use this stick.
Both procedures leave a residue hence the dullness and like I said above this will only attract more grease.
I also use isopropyl alcohol especially before a photo session but alcohol must be rinsed as well.
When I am on a trip for over a week and can only use a toothbrush, I notice pavillion dirt I cannot get out anymore. The ultra solves the problem and also brightens chains and gold work, which is why I recommend a thorough ultrasonic cleaning at least once a week.
Sorry I am a diamond clean freak. Once you let dirt and grime build up especially on the undersides, nothing will get them out completely.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IMG_2246.JPG Alright alright y'all are so good and helpful!! Sooooo here is my setup. The heart is the dishwashing solution and the decanter is the water that I just placed my rings in for a good soak. Thanks for the tip about the rinsing!

I must say, I wear my rings to work and take them off the minute I get home. I am a professor but I am mostly behind my desk or in the classroom, not like working as a research scientist. But I do take my rings off when I lotion my hands at work. And then when I place them in the dishwashing solution, there are tiny little black specks at the bottom of the dish along with what looks like flakes of dead skin, probably because I am touching the diamonds directly. It's not a lot but it is a noticeable buildup that comes off every time I soak.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree with what rocky said. I suspect the problem is that OP is not rinsing after the soapy bath since she did not mention it.
I would never use this stick.
Both procedures leave a residue hence the dullness and like I said above this will only attract more grease.
I also use isopropyl alcohol especially before a photo session but alcohol must be rinsed as well.
When I am on a trip for over a week and can only use a toothbrush, I notice pavillion dirt I cannot get out anymore. The ultra solves the problem and also brightens chains and gold work, which is why I recommend a thorough ultrasonic cleaning at least once a week.
Sorry I am a diamond clean freak. Once you let dirt and grime build up especially on the undersides, nothing will get them out completely.

Wait, so should the last step be alcohol rinse or water rinse?! Thanks everyone for sharing these precious tips! @rockysalamander, if I have a four-prong center stone and I check it regularly with a loupe to ensure the prongs are even and doing fine like you mentioned, do you think that would minimize the possibility of the stone falling out someday? No guarantees of course but just hoping to do my best to minimize risk!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Jadesilver, sorry for being unclear, must be the flu confusing me today.

I meant that no matter what chemical you are using, I only use dishsoap (always very diluted) and isopropyl alcohol you always want to rinse it off with plenty of warm water, as in running warm water for a minute or two.

Since I clean my jewelry for macro photos too I know that not enough time, not running water and not warm enough water will result in stains and/or film.

Now of course plug the sink before you start rinsing.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So @Sunstorm what’s the point of of rinsing in isopropyl alcohol if you rinse that off too? I thought the alcohol was the final rinse and dries the water and leaves a clean surface and is the last step before drying. :confused2:.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a Steamer and can't wait to use it. Still in box. Will let you know how it works!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi @Bonfire. I am not rinsing with alcohol. I am cleaning with alcohol. The alcohol is not a last step thing, it is instead or in between cleanings. I get it that it can sound confusing because rocky mentions that she uses it as a rinse but that she also uses it in between cleanings. I may use it after the ultra but still rinse it.

Mostly I use alcohol though when I do not have an ultrasonic around, like I said for example when we do a photo shoot and I bring the jewelry as well as the alcohol and a toothbrush. I wish it could be a final rinse. I tried that and tried also blow drying after that. It did not work. It still left a film or rainbow stains. It does clean extremely well but I still have to rinse it off with water and dry it with a towel. Clean water will not leave stains if the piece has been rinsed well. Water can remain in the undersides but that does evaporate within a couple of minutes and sometimes I shake it out a bit. Hope this is clear. Now, of course we are talking when you need a piece meticulously, completely clean, grease, stain and fuzz free.

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i literally just used my 20% coupon to get the GemOr? steamer through BB&B.
I ordered it yesterday. I have been using the blue solution every day when i come home from work and I just feel like the steam will be "healthier" and quicker than the soaking and the brush scrubbing... not sure though. this one stated teh 50 psi.. so i figured that meant it was powerful and I asked Brilliantly Engaged about a steamer and they suggested it.
Susan

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was going to jump in and tell you that your liquid soap would be leaving a film that attracts dirt and skin oil like a magnet. However, Sunstorm and others beat me to it. I will say that there are some good cleaning products for jewelry that do not contain ammonia or other petroleum based products that will clean without leaving behind the film. However, diamonds are little grease magnets, so no matter how you clean them, they will need it again, SOON.

I recommend the last step, with or without an ultrasonic, be a warm or hot water rinse. Then and I love to use the canned air that is sold for cleaning dust off of computer parts. It will clean off the remaining water drips and leave the diamond without water spots for a WHOLE lot less than buying a personal steamer, and no need to wait for it to heat up. If you have a personal steamer and the time to use it, blast away!

Wink

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Bonfire. I am not rinsing with alcohol. I am cleaning with alcohol. The alcohol is not a last step thing, it is instead or in between cleanings. I get it that it can sound confusing because rocky mentions that she uses it as a rinse but that she also uses it in between cleanings. I may use it after the ultra but still rinse it.
I use the alcohol for two purposes:
1) I have been handling yucky stuff and kept my rings on (just part of being a wildlife biologist and mom). I'll give the ring a scrub with my hands and whatever soap is around to get the worst off, rinse with lots of water, and then let it sit in some alcohol. Pull the ring out and viola. Clean and no longer gross. I will then do a thorough scrub once I get home.
2) After all normal cleaning, it is my last step to rinse off the water. Its is a routine thing done for lab glassware to remove all traces of water (though we'd use pure ethanol which is pretty much the same as rubbing alcohol, but with stuff added to make it undrinkable). Works a treat on compatible gems (not oil or water containing varieties).

I don't get spotting that I can see, but I'm also not taking macro photos where those drops may be visible. I'll throw my ring under the microscope at work after dunking in alcohol to check and report back. So, *I* don't rinse the alcohol off or it would just introduce water again. Its so fun to hear how each of us approaches such a routine thing like cleaning a diamond!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you Wink, now we finished our pieces to perfection :appl:.

Yeah on my forever list is the canned air, actually great that you reminded me of this step, definitely going to get some as well. I just hate the dust and fuzz I can get from paper towels and diamonds cloths even if using a clean one for each wiping. Then I loupe and here I have to go cleaning again. This definitely prevents that.

Rocky lol we are clean freaks. I am used to it because of animal rescue and also having worked with babies during Uni. I am a germ killing maniac too. But seriously I never understood why people would take a shower, wash their hair and clothes and leave their most expensive, hopefully cherished bling dirty.

srke

Shiny_Rock
Then I loupe and here I have to go cleaning again.

Yes I do this too and always feel like I can never get my ring truly clean.

Everything I do to dry the ring always leaves something behind and it bugs me to no end.
Wiping with a clean lintfree cloth always leaves a few specks or a strand or two behind. Blow drying always leaves water stains. It's slightly better if i only use distilled water to clean my ring and avoid our tap water altogether, and and then blow dry, but that's a pain and I never feel I can rinse it thoroughly without running water. And even then there are small specks left when I examine the facets closely (which is obviously not going to be noticeable normally but just bugs me to no end when I'm trying to get something clean clean and it won't cooperate!)

Haven't tried canned air yet as I didn't want to have to order in cans all the time, but I'm getting pretty close to giving it a shot as nothing else seems to do the job. Out of curiosity, for those who do dry their rings with canned air how long does a normal can usually last if you clean your ring every day?

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I read somewhere that even jewelers struggle with keeping their diamonds clean in the display case! It's like I clean my diamonds in the morning and then by the evening the rings are dirty again! I guess it's hard for diamonds to stay clean since they are so used to living in dirt for millions of years! I have learned to just appreciate my diamonds, even when they are not up to par in terms of brilliance! It is significantly lessened my frustration and I look forward to seeing the difference once they are clean, albeit for a few hours o_O

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haven't tried canned air yet as I didn't want to have to order in cans all the time, but I'm getting pretty close to giving it a shot as nothing else seems to do the job. Out of curiosity, for those who do dry their rings with canned air how long does a normal can usually last if you clean your ring every day?

We use them a lot here at HPD. Jamie, who takes our photographs may use them once, twice or more times during a photo shoot for just one piece. When I am doing videos, it is similar. Under the scope for a good look, take the ring back to the steamer if there is ANY detritus on the diamond or the mounting. By rule, none of us here will touch a ring without gloves on once it has been through its final polish, yet still, dust comes visiting and stays for the duration if not blown away without actually touching the stone.

Still, the cans last for a long time. I order them in packages of four from Amazon for less than $20. Closer to $15 I think. I ordered a pack in November of last year, I have three left in the pack and two on our desks that are still almost full. The last pack I ordered was more than two years ago.

Now a power user might go through them faster, but they last us at least six months each.

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wink
We buy canned air by the caseload from Costco or Sams Club as well. Hubby uses it to dust teddy bears for his eBay store and I use it to dry my CBI diamonds.

On another thread it seems that many women don't wear their rings in the shower. Well maybe I am weird but why not? Take a toothbrush in with you and use the bath gel to clean your diamond. Then rinse under the rain head or use the wand to rinse your body and your diamonds.

Some of my best CBI light shows have been in the shower :lol-2:

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I fell like it’s part time job just to clean diamonds.they r so high maintenance :angryfire: when I get mad at them and wanna sell everything I have , but then the sun comes out and they start to shine with those beautiful colores , I am saying ok, maybe you all worth it :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All these cleaning goes out the window after you use the restroom unless you chose not to wash your hands...:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results