shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this open bridge setting ok/safe?

miffy14

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.5ct oval diamond that I am shopping for a setting for. I am deciding between a regular basket setting with hidden halo, or this "open bridge" setting style which I've attached photos of.

More details of open bridge setting here: https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...ement-Ring-Setting/14KYellowGold/2891?q=R3190

I will be having a jeweler recreate this look and wanted to check here to make sure it's a safe setting? Any cons? Does the hole at the bottom pose a risk of losing the diamond - it seems more exposed than a basket setting?

This is my first time posting so apologies if this is the wrong place! Thank you so much.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.15.47 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.16.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.16.05 PM.png
    699.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.16.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.16.09 PM.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.16.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.16.12 PM.png
    696 KB · Views: 38

miffy14

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.5ct oval diamond that I am shopping for a setting for. I am deciding between a regular basket setting with hidden halo, or this "open bridge" setting style which I've attached photos of.

More details of open bridge setting here: https://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-...ement-Ring-Setting/14KYellowGold/2891?q=R3190

I will be having a jeweler recreate this look and wanted to check here to make sure it's a safe setting? Any cons? Does the hole at the bottom pose a risk of losing the diamond - it seems more exposed than a basket setting?

This is my first time posting so apologies if this is the wrong place! Thank you so much.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 2.15.47 PM.png

Here is the ring currently which I’m looking to get re-set.
IMG_5488.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an open basket once and a wedding band was able to sneak up there and scratch the pavilion of the center stone. So that gives me pause if you want to wear a diamond band with this … it looks like the center stone could be exposed under there. Very pretty.

miffy14

Rough_Rock
I had an open basket once and a wedding band was able to sneak up there and scratch the pavilion of the center stone. So that gives me pause if you want to wear a diamond band with this … it looks like the center stone could be exposed under there. Very pretty.
Thanks for sharing, yes I do plan to wear a diamond band with this. Each of the diamonds on the band would be about 0.1 ct. Example below.

Do you think this type of band would touch the diamond tip? Also did the diamond tip ever poke your finger? I'm curious since it's so exposed!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's probably not a good combination. The setting says its low set although it doesn't look that low to me. I would not take
the chance of putting diamonds near/under it. You could do a spacer band between your ering and the diamond band.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing, yes I do plan to wear a diamond band with this. Each of the diamonds on the band would be about 0.1 ct. Example below.

Do you think this type of band would touch the diamond tip? Also did the diamond tip ever poke your finger? I'm curious since it's so exposed!

I would definitely wear a smooth metal spacer with that band and this ering. This wedding band you linked has exposed girdles, that would give me pause right next to the setting you chose. My pavilion scratched, not the culet.

miffy14

Rough_Rock
I would definitely wear a smooth metal spacer with that band and this ering. This wedding band you linked has exposed girdles, that would give me pause right next to the setting you chose. My pavilion scratched, not the culet.

That's probably not a good combination. The setting says its low set although it doesn't look that low to me. I would not take
the chance of putting diamonds near/under it. You could do a spacer band between your ering and the diamond band.

Thanks all... now I am nervous lol. I think I will go with basket setting.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@miffy14 I'm sorry, but yes, it was heartbreaking and a lesson learned. I always use a basket or protective setting since. Come back with pictures.

miffy14

Rough_Rock
@miffy14 I'm sorry, but yes, it was heartbreaking and a lesson learned. I always use a basket or protective setting since. Come back with pictures.

I appreciate your help! Better to know now than later.

May I ask for your (and everyone else's!) thoughts on this basket setting with hidden halo? Anything I should be concerned about given my wedding band choice above?

I am also deciding between halo inside of the prongs (1st pic) or outside of the prongs (last 2 pics). I have heard that people think outside of the prongs looks like an afterthought but it looks more dazzling to me.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 5.49.45 PM.png Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 5.49.39 PM.png Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 5.49.34 PM.png

miffy14

Rough_Rock
For reference here is the wedding band I'm envisioning (but radiant instead of emerald)!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.04.35 PM.png

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@miffy14 That setting is definitely more protective of the diamond but the exposed girdles may still rub against the prongs. Over time. Keep an eye on the prongs and if needed, add a spacer?

ETA it’s a struggle we all have :)

miffy14

Rough_Rock
@miffy14 That setting is definitely more protective of the diamond but the exposed girdles may still rub against the prongs. Over time. Keep an eye on the prongs and if needed, add a spacer?

ETA it’s a struggle we all have :)

Oh! Any solutions for this? Would a French pave wedding band help?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be a bit leery of that setting. It is connected to the shank of the ring at one small point rather than being integrated into the shank. If the diamond got whacked at the right angle, the entire head and diamond could be sheared off. Is this the only setting you are considering?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I would be a bit leery of that setting. It is connected to the shank of the ring at one small point rather than being integrated into the shank. If the diamond got whacked at the right angle, the entire head and diamond could be sheared off. Is this the only setting you are considering?

Agree. If this had a donut I’d feel much better about it.

miffy14

Rough_Rock
@MissGotRocks @Tonks could you suggest a safer setting? Most settings I have seen look like the last one I posted. Any idea how can I incorporate a donut in to achieve a similar look?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Neither choice is very sturdy for everyday or long term wear. The open bridge can also catch and spread and the floating head takes one good knock and off the whole thing goes.
This is a classic Cartier cathedral, a Vatche crown, a petite Valoria 4prong an a six prong classic.
1713380994567.png 1713381048644.png 1713381125815.png 1713381179680.png

There are endless variations of solitaire. Here are two more modern variations.
The thing is having the head/basket either wed or imbedded into the shank in some way.
937732 937728

miffy14

Rough_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou thank you very much for sharing all of these, super helpful. There are many simple setting styles that I like but I just want to make sure it’s safe and you all are so insightful!

Can you help me understand how the setting in your second to last photo is different from my basket? Is it because the basket/prongs are more spread out? I think I’m leaning towards this.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Your basket in this example sits more on top of the shank. These I always caution against, because I know I would destroy this ring! I'm always banging against everything by accident:lol:

1713434128728.png
The example I have actually has a small donut as opposed to a post that is embedded into the shank that matches the width. It's a subtle detail but adds stability to the design. More surface area. Hopefully, if you click on the photo it should give you a better look.
1713434195699.png

miffy14

Rough_Rock
Your basket in this example sits more on top of the shank. These I always caution against, because I know I would destroy this ring! I'm always banging against everything by accident:lol:

1713434128728.png
The example I have actually has a small donut as opposed to a post that is embedded into the shank that matches the width. It's a subtle detail but adds stability to the design. More surface area. Hopefully, if you click on the photo it should give you a better look.
1713434195699.png

Excuse my ignorance... lol, is the "donut" that you are referring to essentially the hidden halo? I am going to share this photo with my jeweler and go with this. I'm super clumsy and don't want to risk it! o_O

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Excuse my ignorance... lol, is the "donut" that you are referring to essentially the hidden halo? I am going to share this photo with my jeweler and go with this. I'm super clumsy and don't want to risk it! o_O

No, it's the little part at the bottom of the head(base of the prong/basket) that connects it to the ring shank(band) itself.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6680.jpeg

miffy14

Rough_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou @AprilBaby thank you! I see it.. the basket is basically spread out more on the shank vs the one I showed all sits right on top of the shank and would be prone to popping off.

To be even more safe, now I am even considering a cathedral. I was not into the look at all before but perhaps I can get the same look I'm going for with just the extra cathedral on the side. I do want my setting to be as low profile as possible though. Thoughts??

I need to make a decision by next Tuesday and want to make the right decision! Fiance says to just get whatever I like and that if I bang my finger on something I'm bound to be able to see it and grab any piece that falls down... lol NO. :???:

1f9bbdfc22816381254a00746de2756c.jpg

954a139cdd6be97e1d9ea05032f56d46.jpg

miffy14

Rough_Rock
Here is another option the jeweler sent..

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 9.42.40 PM.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ItsMainelyYou @AprilBaby thank you! I see it.. the basket is basically spread out more on the shank vs the one I showed all sits right on top of the shank and would be prone to popping off.

To be even more safe, now I am even considering a cathedral. I was not into the look at all before but perhaps I can get the same look I'm going for with just the extra cathedral on the side. I do want my setting to be as low profile as possible though. Thoughts??

I need to make a decision by next Tuesday and want to make the right decision! Fiance says to just get whatever I like and that if I bang my finger on something I'm bound to be able to see it and grab any piece that falls down... lol NO. :???:

1f9bbdfc22816381254a00746de2756c.jpg

954a139cdd6be97e1d9ea05032f56d46.jpg

I love this option out of the ones you've posted.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Adding the shoulders is a great idea. It makes the whole structure much stronger. The first two options are great, I would still avoid the floating head. Those can be a problem. Make sure your shank width is at least 1.8mm or more and the depth of the shank is 1.8mm. Anything thinner won't stand up as well to daily abuse.
It's good to get this stuff ironed out the first time if you can help it, so you're ahead of the game by thinking about it. Smart, smart!
anatomy_of_a_ring_shank.jpg
*And no, you won't just catch a flying head that pops off unless you're insanely lucky. Do you feel lucky? I don't.:lol:

miffy14

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for answering all my newbie questions @ItsMainelyYou !

We're getting close!!! I've decided on the below setting.. more details can be seen here (there's videos here that I couldn't attach). Does it look like a floating head to you? It's quite hard for me to tell.. it looks spread out to me?

This is a 2.5mm shank which looks lovely; however, my diamond is half that size.. it's 3ct while mine is 1.5ct. I wonder if I should go for 2.0mm instead. I don't want the shank to be so thick as to take away from my stone.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.43.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.43.57 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.44.52 PM.png

May I also get your thoughts on some other minor details? Would a pave bridge be safe? Something like the below. I know diamonds (from engagement ring) should not be rubbing against diamonds (from wedding band) but I think the bridge may be slimmer than the shank so it ends up not touching?
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.44.00 PM.png

I also want the pave hidden halo still so it would be 2 small rows of pave! (On the bridge and also on the hidden halo)

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.50.43 PM.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
2mm will be lovely and the mounting is a good one that has the structure you need!
Solid.
Pave is great, but understand that it will possibly need maintenance over time.
I personally wouldn't pave the bridge. This ties into my penchant of knocking my rings. Will it rub? I don't know without seeing the wedder, but it could. Pave weakens the metal structure and I just don't want to deal with the possibility. The hidden halo won't be directly rubbing against anything and should be fine, just get it checked every few years to make sure the bitty melee stones are still seated well(regular maintenance).
But, this is just what I would do because I know where I might run into trouble.

It's going to be beautiful.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Pave: Every time you see something glinting in the carpet your stomach will flip. You'll assume the jewelers' pose and pluck it up for inspection. A piece of tin foil or cling wrap? Glitter from a malicious source? If it looks like a crystal then an inventory will be taken immediately.
I have three such "stones" in a box and I barely own anything with tiny diamonds.
I think your beautiful and beautifully set diamond is enough. Don't take these foster children.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m still nervous of the head being held by just those tiny spidery pongs with no donut (which is a more substantial base) but it’s better than the other options by far!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results