shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this OMC or OEC?

wanderhome

Rough_Rock
I bought a ring last week and was told it's an old mine cut. After looking around more online, I'm beginning to think it's an old european cut. Or maybe something else?

As a side question, I bought it for $400. Was that an ok price? I feel good about it as I love the ring, but I don't really know. 20190126_124205.jpg 20190126_124137.jpg 20190126_124114.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Looks like an OEC to me because it seems quite round and has a nice sized culet, but more pictures would help. I think the price you paid was legendary! Do you have a guess on what the color and clarity are? Can you see any inclusions? How large is the stone in millimeters?

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that this looks like an OEC. It is rounder rather than more cushion shaped, and you can see in the last photo that the facets under the table look more flower-like than the maltese cross you usually see in mine cuts.

And $400 seems like a good price! Do you have any more information on the stone? I often see antique rings in the 0.25ct-0.33ct range for $300-$400, but this looks to be bigger.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find! Great price. I second more pics!

I have found that people who don’t know more say yah any “old” cut diamond is a mine cut (or “miner”). Mine cuts tend to be more cushion shaped, this one looks pretty round. So, like ISG above, I’d call it an OEC.

More pics !! It’s a winner!

wanderhome

Rough_Rock
I asked the woman if she had a guess on color, and she guessed J. (I don't think she was very knowledgeable about this ring, and the jeweler was not there.) I asked her to measure mm, and she said it was 5.2 or 5.3 across. (I don't remember which.) She then guessed it was a .6 carat based on that, which to my understanding would not be correct as the dimensions are different than modern brilliants, but I didn't argue. That's what made me think she didn't really know what she was talking about. I did look at it through a loupe, and there is an inclusion, but I cannot find it with my naked eye. She said she thought it was an SI1or2, I think, but again, what does she know, lol. The tag was very worn, like they had had it a long time. I wondered if maybe it was supposed to be priced at $1499, and maybe the 1 wore off. (I saw it marked as $499 and got it for $400) But then I thought maybe it was so low because it has a (maybe fisheye) shadow at certain light/angle. Here is a pic of the shadow ring. What other pics might be helpful? 20190126_132326.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a deal at $400! You did great.
It's gorgeous!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s an early OEC as it’s got the high crown :love:, and definitely a petal effect under the table but it’s not (in these pics at least) as organised and symmetrical as I’m used to seeing in “classic” OECs. It’s quite rounded too despite the cushion shape/look the setting is helping to give. You got a total bargain there for $400!!
The zoom in on this pic is glorious - look at that profile :kiss2:
502F82FF-2787-44FF-B4D4-2EB686F485B4.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked the woman if she had a guess on color, and she guessed J. (I don't think she was very knowledgeable about this ring, and the jeweler was not there.) I asked her to measure mm, and she said it was 5.2 or 5.3 across. (I don't remember which.) She then guessed it was a .6 carat based on that, which to my understanding would not be correct as the dimensions are different than modern brilliants, but I didn't argue. That's what made me think she didn't really know what she was talking about. [...]But then I thought maybe it was so low because it has a (maybe fisheye) shadow at certain light/angle. Here is a pic of the shadow ring. What other pics might be helpful? 20190126_132326.jpg
Mine does that with light from the side too. I think it’s either a girdle reflection if it’s got a frosted/brutes girdle or it’s the pavilion facets having light across them that they’re not reflecting.
Love that she’s estimated .6 - that crown is huge! I’m rubbish at guessing weight but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t far off a carat with all that weight in the crown.

wanderhome

Rough_Rock
Mine does that with light from the side too. I think it’s either a girdle reflection if it’s got a frosted/brutes girdle or it’s the pavilion facets having light across them that they’re not reflecting.
Love that she’s estimated .6 - that crown is huge! I’m rubbish at guessing weight but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t far off a carat with all that weight in the crown.

I should probably note that the ring is a size 4.5, so that is probably contributing to making the stone look larger than it is. However, after looking around more online, and comparing it more closely to my .5ct RB, I think she may have been close on the size.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find! :love: I agree with @foxinsox that it’s probably a late old mine to early old euro cut, for the same reasons. My ‘OEC’ (per GIA) was found to be the same when evaluated by @oldminer who assessed it for the vendor prior to my purchase. My understanding is that there was a bit of a ‘transitional’ period (not to be confused with transitional diamonds) between old mine & old European cuts, which makes sense if you think about it ... it’s not like, one day all the diamond cutters in the world just stopped what they were doing and said, “alright, no more ‘old miners’; let’s start doing this and call them ‘old euros’”.

One way to get a good picture is to (after cleaning & drying the diamond) place it on a window sill where the natural daylight is behind the diamond. Don’t use any flash or other non-natural lighting when taking the pics as close/clearly-focused as possible. Then come back here and post those babies! LOL :wavey:

wanderhome

Rough_Rock
I think it’s an early OEC as it’s got the high crown :love:, and definitely a petal effect under the table but it’s not (in these pics at least) as organised and symmetrical as I’m used to seeing in “classic” OECs. It’s quite rounded too despite the cushion shape/look the setting is helping to give. You got a total bargain there for $400!!
The zoom in on this pic is glorious - look at that profile :kiss2:
502F82FF-2787-44FF-B4D4-2EB686F485B4.jpeg
The roundness was the first thing that made me think it's not an OMC. And then I noticed the triangles that circle the table are pretty even, and that was more in line with OEC. You're right it's not quite as symmetrical as other OEC I've seen on here, and not quite the same checkerboard I'm used to seeing. I love it so much! I've been moony eyed ever since I got it!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The roundness was the first thing that made me think it's not an OMC. And then I noticed the triangles that circle the table are pretty even, and that was more in line with OEC. You're right it's not quite as symmetrical as other OEC I've seen on here, and not quite the same checkerboard I'm used to seeing. I love it so much! I've been moony eyed ever since I got it!
Yay! We need more pics!

wanderhome

Rough_Rock
Great find! :love: I agree with @foxinsox that it’s probably a late old mine to early old euro cut, for the same reasons. My ‘OEC’ (per GIA) was found to be the same when evaluated by @oldminer who assessed it for the vendor prior to my purchase. My understanding is that there was a bit of a ‘transitional’ period (not to be confused with transitional diamonds) between old mine & old European cuts, which makes sense if you think about it ... it’s not like, one day all the diamond cutters in the world just stopped what they were doing and said, “alright, no more ‘old miners’; let’s start doing this and call them ‘old euros’”.

One way to get a good picture is to (after cleaning & drying the diamond) place it on a window sill where the natural daylight is behind the diamond. Don’t use any flash or other non-natural lighting when taking the pics as close/clearly-focused as possible. Then come back here and post those babies! LOL :wavey:
That makes perfect sense about the changeover period. I'll take pics in a window. Thanks for the suggestion!

wanderhome

Rough_Rock
So this is a bit embarrassing, but I forgot my brother-in-law and his family are literally in the diamond and fine gemstone business. :oops2::whistle: To be fair, it's not like my sister and I discuss his job for kicks when we talk on the phone. Anyway, I sent him a picture and he and his dad agree it's an OEC. :clap: When we get a sunny day and I'm able to get good window pictures of her, I'll start a thread in show me the bling. Thank you all for your help!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, look at that profile :kiss2:
The ring is beautiful and you paid a great price, wear it in good health!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG what a yummy OEC! Chunkalicious goodness in every way. And what a sweet sweet bargain too. Enjoy all that yumminess. I am drooling over here.:love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results