shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal practice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alicat

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I put down a deposit on an EGL diamond that are getting and when I called the jeweler to ask if I could get it independently appraised, he said that it was unnecessary because he had already done an appraisal on the stone and sent it to me. the appraisal from them matched the EGL cert, but didn''t give me any extra info other than color, clarity, cut dimensions, and approximate value (which was about 1 1/2 times the price i paid for it. is this normal and acceptable for the jeweler who sells you the diamond to do the appraisal as well?

kim

Rough_Rock
hi there,
You should have an independent gemologist do an appraisal on your diamond. the jeweller that sold you the ring can & will tell you whatever he wants about the diamond. You need to be very carefull on things like this!! Good Luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
There's a term called "conflict of interest"...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/20/2003 6:39:38 PM alicat wrote:

My boyfriend and I put down a deposit on an EGL diamond that are getting and when I called the jeweler to ask if I could get it independently appraised, he said that it was unnecessary because he had already done an appraisal on the stone and sent it to me. the appraisal from them matched the EGL cert, but didn't give me any extra info other than color, clarity, cut dimensions, and approximate value (which was about 1 1/2 times the price i paid for it. is this normal and acceptable for the jeweler who sells you the diamond to do the appraisal as well?
----------------

No, that's not normal. Any jeweler who has a vested interest in the sale cannot give an objective, independent appraisal.

The appraisal he gave you is fine for insurance purposes, I'm sure. But I'd be wary of any jeweler who didn't wholeheartedly support your decision to get an independent appraisal....any jeweler who tries to discourage you from that has something to hide.

Nearly every vendor here encourages customers to get a diamond independently appraised.

Good luck whatever you decide.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
If I were you I'd get that diamond to an independent appraiser quick.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Rbjd is right and if the certificate is not an EGL-USA then I would suggest having both the color and clarity verified by a reputable appraiser.
You wont have to look further than the appraisers that contribute their time and skills to this forum to find a reputable independent.

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd (Australia)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
is this normal and acceptable for the jeweler who sells you the
diamond to do the appraisal as well?
-----------

It's pretty common, and in many instances is just a case of the jeweler trying to be helpful.

Sometimes though it is a way of the jeweler trying to keep you "in house", and avoid having any contradictory second opinions screwing up his sale.

I would have it checked out for peace of mind. Often a gemologist can give you additional information about the stone that a (non-gemologist) jeweler might have missed.

alicat

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies! I'm definitely going to get it appraised somewhere else anyway. Its a EGL-USA cert so i'm not too concerned about it, just want a second opinion.

thanks again all!
tongue.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL USA certs still do not seem as reputable for the most part as a cert from AGS or GIA...so I think you are doing the right thing by checking it out!

Good luck.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
EGL USA has improved, but is still not as strict as GIA, AGS, HRD and IGI Antwerp. Definately get the stone checked for the pace of your mind.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results