shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this normal for a VS1? Black spot visible?

Nm06003

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here. I just got engaged recently and while staring at my ring I notice a dark spot in the center that is more visible when I tilt the stone downwards. The black spot also looks like it gets larger as i tilt it down. We bought the stone online from BN and had DK make the setting, but at VS1 triple X I shouldn't be able to see any inclusions right? I just wonder if the wrong stone was sent to us or this is just a normal reflection I'm seeing. Thanks for all the help! If it makes any difference the stone scored <2.0 on HCA according to my FI.

Edit: No culet on the stone either. I dont have the GIA report on hand. If the pictures are not good enough to see let me know and I can try to take more (sorry I'm a noob at taking photos of diamonds lol).

img_6394-1.jpg

img_6395-1.jpg

img_6397-1.jpg

img_11249.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks more like a reflection to me. Does the plot on the certificate show one inclusion in or near the center of the stone?

Nm06003

Rough_Rock
@missgotrocks Since the stone is less than 1 carat they did not include a plot in the cert :/ The first inclusion listed was a crystal though.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who certed the stone?

Nm06003

Rough_Rock
The stone was graded by GIA! Off the top of my head it was triple X, J, VS1, inclusions: crystal, cloud, pinpoint. HCA <2.0. No plotting diagram.

I just snapped these pics too! In the last two when I tilt the stone face on or to the side it doesn't show as much.

img_11250.jpg

img_11251.jpg

img_11252.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a loupe to look at the stone? If not, take it to a local jeweler and ask them to look at it, see what they see, and show it to you. From the pictures, it looks more like a facet reflection to me than an inclusion but I can't see it up close of course.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What I think you are seeing is NOT an inclusion. It may be a little windowing (light leakage), that is why it grows and shrinks with tilt.

A VS1 inclusion, even if black and in the center, would not be visible to the naked eye and would not look like what you are picturing.

Highly unlikely, but is the culet of the diamond making contact with the metal in the mounting? Or is there any foreign material sticking to the culet area?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results