carat
color
clarity

Is this leakage? (Photos included)

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all.

I recently took delivery of a very bright and lively asscher from Bluenile. Like all good PSers :D I have been examining it endlessly in different lighting, trying to satisfy myself about the light performance before deciding whether to keep it.

I do have form for noticing dark areas in diamonds after I have already had them set in jewellery and have ended up selling them on........ :roll

The diamond is in a ring style stone holder at the moment and it sits very high off the finger and allows light to enter the stone from all angles.

It's generally bright and lively with even light return across the diamond. But I have noticed in lower lighting a dark box inside the table when I view it at certain angles.

It's more obvious to my naked eye than when I photograph it, for some reason the camera doesn't show it up as well.

The times when it looks worst is when light is prevented from entering through the pavilion sideways. This is making me concerned that the dark box might become more easily apparent once the stone is set. Even if I prong set it in an open setting, the addition of side stones and metal supports will inevitably reduce light entering in to pavilion.

So my question is: what is this dark box? Is it leakage. Obstruction? Or something else? Do all asschers have it? Is this to be expected even in a good asscher? Should I be concerned about performance issues once it's set?

20190328_160825.jpg 20190328_160835.jpg 20190328_160900.jpg

Here are photos of it against a blue background. To me these dont seem to show too much leakage although I can see some blue showing through under the table: 20190325_152028.jpg 20190325_150641.jpg 20190325_150132.jpg 20190325_150048.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a link to the stone listing on BN so folks can see the diamond in motion on the BN video? That may help assess the possibilities.

ETA: it looks like a nice diamond and may just be the facets turning off & on which I think is normal but would defer to others better skilled at assessing performance.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It shows min leakage except in the last 2 pics here it is sitting on the pavilion which is normal.
Sitting on the pavilion changes the RI of that reflector.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For example in this image I pointed out the tiny spots of at least partial leakage. The rest of the stone is not showing leakage.
That is outstanding.
20190325_150641.jpg

As it rotates there will be others but if you move it slightly and it flashes then its normal.

Last edited:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For example in this image I pointed out the tiny spots of at least partial leakage. The rest of the stone is not showing leakage.
That is outstanding.
20190325_150641.jpg

As it rotates there will be others but if you move it slightly and it flashes then its normal.

Thanks Karl_K. Sounds like I dont need to be worried about suddenly seeing a drop in performance once it's set then?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:whistle:It’s a beautiful asscher. You don’t see these every day. Unless you’re Yoram.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results