shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this hearts and arrows?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Without hearts and arrow imaging it can be hard to tell (but a good face-on photo is usually enough to tell if it isn't). Based on the photo given, it doesn't look like this would be. Too many assymmetries

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I see arrows, but some of them are skewed. It is also a slightly less than ideal crown height at 14.5% and I think the table is large. BUT, I am not an expert. I am just mentioning what I see and then we'll see what the experts believe. Musicloveranthony, Kim and DejaWiz are the experienced ones.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In the absence of hearts and arrows scope images, you should assume the diamond isn't H&A. If the diamond was cut at that level of optical symmetry, the vendor would have a vested interest in marketing the diamond that way.
Also another thing to keep in mind is that IGI sometimes posts hearts & arrows scope images on their certs. These are stock images and NOT of the actual diamond. I feel that that causes confusion in the marketplace. They should post the scope images of the actual diamond like GCAL does for example which would be much more transparent.

Good luck!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Just an FYI, BE isn’t usually recommended here because they are a pain if you need to return something. They’re also overpriced

The same diamond is available here for half the price https://www.brilliance.com/lab-grow...ake-vvs1-clarity-igi-certified-SKU-LG19569148

Thanks for posting that. The stone probably will have hearts and arrows visible but they won't be perfect hearts and arrows. I can see some asymmetry in the arrows and that there will be slightly uneven clefts in all of the hearts and the chevrons below the hearts won't be identical. All in all it looks pretty good, though. I wouldn't buy it, though because I'm a sucker for optical symmetry

Last edited:

Felipe

Rough_Rock
With a 33.9 crown and 40.4 pavilion, this is not a H&A. But still could be nice in earrings. Too shallow for a ring because of head shadow.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a 33.9 crown and 40.4 pavilion, this is not a H&A. But still could be nice in earrings. Too shallow for a ring because of head shadow.

My understanding is that you can have H&A symmetry but not have what we could consider complementary angles. Is there
something I dont know?

Edit...probably doesn't make sense for a cutter to do this because why go through the effort to get H&A symmetry when
the angles arent that good so we dont usually see this. However, my point was, from what I understand H&A symmetry
doesn't really have anything to do with the angles. Please correct if there is something I'm not aware of!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My understanding is that you can have H&A symmetry but not have what we could consider complementary angles. Is there
something I dont know?

Edit...probably doesn't make sense for a cutter to do this because why go through the effort to get H&A symmetry when
the angles arent that good so we dont usually see this. However, my point was, from what I understand H&A symmetry
doesn't really have anything to do with the angles. Please correct if there is something I'm not aware of!

It is indeed possible to cut to H&A optical precision with non ideal cut diamonds. I have owned one that was way short of ideal cut that was cut by a cutter with a sense of humor. I bought it to show my clients how poorly a diamond could look with H&A cutting. One of them loved the concept so much he bought it.

Felipe

Rough_Rock
I have owned one that was way short of ideal cut that was cut by a cutter with a sense of humor. I bought it to show my clients how poorly a diamond could look with H&A cutting.
How was the "hearts" picture?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
H&Aish is possible with that combination, but as stated its not the best for a ring.
hnaish.jpg

Attachments

• hnaish2.jpg
    hnaish2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 12

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The arrows image is interesting because the mains are partly pointing dead center into the camera hole in the scope which is why they are part black.
hnaish2.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In comparison here is a more normal combinations arrow image.
morenormalarrowimage.jpg

Note: all the images I posted were generated using DiamCalc and not actual diamond images.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results