shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this girdle too thin to be safe??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at an AGS Ideal, .735 cts., F, VS1. Here are the specs that matter in this case:

Size: 5.79 - 5.82 x 3.60 mm
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 54.0%
Crown Angle: 34.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 0.7 - 1.2%

Is this going to be too thin of a girdle for a standard 4 prong Tiffany setting, or any setting for that matter? I keep reading about staying away from very thin girdles, but I cannot find anything on how to translate AGS girdle percentages into "very thin", "thin", "medium", etc. This diamond specs out as excellent on the HCA at 1.4, but I''m concerned about the girdle chipping, or anything else people might see as cause for concern.

Thanks!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
By the Cut Charts, I think this would qualify as a thin to medium girdle. You crunched the HCA and didn't get a "Dangerously Thin Girdle" warning, so you should be more than safe.

Diamond looks nice! Let us know what you decide.
1.gif

Edited to add: Just to be on the safe side, you might want to run the girdle thickness and setting style by the jeweler that will mount you stone. Get their opinion as well.
1.gif

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply & comments. I think the jeweler setting it would be a bit biased since it's being sold & mounted in the same store.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/28/2004 9:44:37 PM 2Bmarried wrote:

I cannot find anything on how to translate AGS girdle percentages into 'very thin', 'thin', 'medium', etc.
----------------

The respective data were posted by Leonid on THIS thread... Your stone seems very much ok for a standard setting.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Valeria

I'm on the verge of buying it tomorrow if the ideal-scope looks good. I was just unsure as to the chance of it cracking or chipping at the girdle due to it's thin measurements.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
Garry,

Thank you for your input, as well! You don't think that the 6 prong will detract from the beauty of this fairly small diamond?

Is there a girdle size (AGS %) that you would heavily favor instead, or I am being worrisome since the HCA didn't warn me of the girdle being too thin?

I know it comes up as being in the TIC range within HCA. Could you, or anybody else for that matter, tell me if that is a good middle of the road between FIC and BIC as it sounds to be (best of both worlds) ??

By the way, I'm looking forward to using the ideal-scope I just bought over this past weekend. I will let you know tomorrow evening (EST) how it tuns out!

Steve

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think a 6 prong makes the stone look rounder and the prongs need not be quite as large as a 4 prong ring.

AGS use the same % formula for a 10ct as a .30ct.
So the thin / very thin border gets you 0.04mm of girdle at the thinnest part, while the 10ct is .1mm for the same .7% thickness.

GIA might rate the 10ct as medium (that is a guess - I did not look it up in the charts) and the smaller stone as very thin.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I guess what I meant to ask was whether or not you would prefer an AGS stone with a girdle of, say, 1.0 - 1.4 %, or 1.2 - 1.6 %, or 1.1 - 1.5%, 1.3 - 1.7%, etc., etc., or any other varying range. Basically, what is a good range of % on the AGS stone to be fairly certain I won't have to worry so much, yet is not too thick. Or is there not really an easy answer to that, since I assume it still has to correlate to the other percentages and angles.

Would you buy a stone with this girdle, if all else is excellent?

Thanks!

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I suppose that would take me out of HCA's TIC range, though. Can I still rate EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, VERY GOOD on the HCA with a BIC or FIC, having a thicker girdle?

lara

Rough_Rock
I know I need to go get a sarin report, but until I do... well now I'm worried about the girdle on mine. I have it in a 4-prong. It's probably impossible to tell from this data, but can anyone guess if mine will be OK? So a sarin is the only way to tell crown and pav. angles?
5.84 X 5.78 X 3.4
T depth 58.5%
Table W 59%
CrownHeight 13%
PavDepth 43%
Girdle Thickness Med.

lara

Rough_Rock
Oh, and no culet

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Agree wholeheartedly with Garry. My e-ring RB's girdle is even thinner than yours, and that's one of the reasons I had it set in six-prong platinum. I wouldn't worry too much beyond that, though. The guru who appraised my stone (Rich Sherwood) said it would be fine, in all likelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results