shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond to much of a sacrifice of color and clarity for size??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
I found a good deal on a .75 Pear (very good cut) but it is H color and SI2 clarity. Is this giving up to much for size??

depth 60.9%
table 56%
sym. very good
pol. very good
girdle thin to med. faceted
no cutlet
l/w 1.52
7.92x5.22x3.18

Should I just stay away all together??

thanks,
Jason:((

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Without more info, you really don't know much about the cut. Granted, based on the overall depth and the table, it appears to be in the 1B range (AGA cut grade). As far as sacrificing Color and Clarity, couple of questions.

1 - What lab provided the report? GIA, AGS, EGL, IGI, none?

2 - What is important to you in clarity? Eye-clean or better?

The reason I ask the above, is that if the diamond is truly an "H" color, it shouldnt' have much, if any, noticeable color. G/H should be very near colorless, especially once mounted. However, if a lab graded it that is not well-respected, it very well may be of a lower color grade that will have noticeable yellow.

Also, an SI-2 may or may not be eye-clean. Again, if it was graded by a lab like GIA or AGS, it may not have many (or if you're lucky any!) inclusions visible to the naked eye. However, if it was graded by a lab that doesn't have a stellar reputation, it may very well be an I-1 or less.

Just some opinions from a reasonably-informed consumer. Good luck.

E

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Hi, Leonid! Trying to make an appearance every now and then!

E

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
SO YOUR SAYING I COULD GO FOR AN "H" COLOR AND I MYSELF COULD NOT TELL, BUT MAYBE I WANT TO GET BETTER ON THE CLARITY LIKE A VSI OR VS2??

THANKS,
JASON:snore:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sturkiej,

Emrldforher is asking whether you realize that SI2 clarity may be not eye clean, i.e. you might see inclusions with the naked eye.

Does this diamond comes with any grading report (GIA, EGL) and what is the price?

Otherwise there is nothing in these numbers, which says "don't buy".

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
I'm suggesting a couple of things. For one, its important to know that the grading is accurate. For me, I feel pretty confident in the accuracy of a report if its from GIA or AGS. That doesn't mean other labs don't grade accurately, but from my experience as a consumer and researching as much as possible before my purchase, other labs may not be as consistent in their grading. This is especially important if you are purchasing online and aren't viewing the stone in person.

My point about color is that for "most" people, once a stone is mounted a G/H color should really "face up" as colorless. Certainly their are some people that have better color acuity than others and may be able to tell that an "H" color has some tint when loose, but I think once its mounted, its much more difficult to tell. If your goal is to have a diamond that appears colorless when mounted, I don't think you'll go wrong with an H. Obviously its important for you to do your own color comparisons to see if you can tell the difference. Keep in mind that diamonds are graded for color "table" down by viewing through the pavilion. So, if you put a "D" colored diamond next to an "H" colored diamond in a white tray, table down next to each other, you will most likely see a difference. However, again, your diamond isn't viewed that way in real life. I don't want to influence you to an "H" color, I just want to make sure you understand how it looks and keep your options open. It all depends on your budget and what is important to you.

As for clarity, again it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want a diamond that is "eye-clean"? Is it important that if you view the diamond through a loupe that you can't see many, if any inclusions? My point about SI-2 is that again, who graded it is important. If it is truly an SI-2, you may not notice any inclusions with the naked eye. However, that grading is "on the border" such that some SI-2's may be eye-clean and some may not (even if properly graded). So, if "eye-clean" is important to you, youmay want to narrow your search up to SI-1/VS-2.

Bottom line as I stated above is that its all about what's important to you. For some, size is #1, others want a colorless "D" diamond and will sacrifice clarity, others want a diamond with no inclusions visible, even with a loupe and some choose to concede a little in all three areas.

Sorry for such a long post, but there is so much to say and think about. Good luck!

E

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
OK GUYS THIS DIAMOND HAS A GIA CERTIFICATE BUT I THINK I AM OK WITH THE COLOR BUT MAYBE NOT WITH THE CLARITY IF THERE ARE INCLUSIONS VISIBLE TO THE EYE. THANKS FOR THE HELP IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LITTLE MORE THAN A YEAR AND I AM GETTING CLOSE TO WHEN I HAD IN MIND TO PROPOSE, BUT THIS DOESN'T SEEM TO BE GETTING ANY EASIER!!!

THANKS,
JASON:errrr:

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Sturkiej,

I know its a long process. When you find "your" diamond, it will be worth it. Another question. I've seen you post about pear-shapes and also princess-cuts. Do you know what shape she wants? It may help you a little in narrowing your search. Also, are you looking on-line or locally? Good luck and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

E

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
You asked about the cut, she has always said she would like to have a pear cut which is what the search has centered around for the last year, but a few weeks ago we went together to look at some rings locally (not really to buy)just to get a feel for a size (for her finger)and just to look hands on at color and clarity, anyway on this trip she said she liked the pricess cut. So anyway back to the "not really to buy" statement I have almost totally been online looking b/c I believe it to be the best deal. So the only local stores I have been to so far ,Zales - will not buy from there and Jewelry Warehouse - expensive, I would not buy from but just went for a hands on look. If I buy locally it will be from Dem's, which has a good rep. and I will be visiting this week. I have mainly been looking at Blue Nile they have been very nice and quick to answer any questions, and I will probly go with the pear although I have seen some very nice looking princess cuts.

thanks for the help sorry this one is long,
Jason:confused:

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
I agree that buying online will most likely give you the best deal. However, is the "Dems" you are going to the Dems in South Carolina? If so, I've heard nothing but good things (online) about Steve Livingston. The main reason I was stressing the clarity is if you buy online, at least narrowing your selection to VS-2/SI-1 will help ensure that you are getting an eye-clean stone. Granted, you can send the diamond back if you aren't satisfied, but shipping costs add up if you have to continually do this.

Good luck, and hopefully you are seeing Steve at Dems!

E

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
yes, I will be going to Dems in South Carolina. I work in Columbia very close to where they are located.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results