shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond setter for real??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Well...I posted about a month ago, when I received a beautiful 1.76 carat diamond set in white gold, with four prongs (split prongs) that I LOVED, however, after wearing it for 2-3 days, one of the prongs broke off. I was told that the setter tried to modify the prongs to resemble a pic I showed him (Leon Mege type claws), and apparently it can''t be done? I mean he did it, but they were tapered too thin, so they told me they would re-order the same head in platinum from Stuller, and re-set the diamond but they couldn''t taper the prongs to a point, or thinner as I wanted (for the sake of durability, and security for the diamond). I picked up the ring today, and it doesn''t look even similar to the first ring I received! The stone looks more square now, sits up MUCH higher (which I don''t like), and looking face down, resembles a flower! I don''t know what to do!! If I take it to my regular jeweler/manufacturer, can he use the same head, but split the prongs like they were intended..and perhaps lower the diamond a bit, or is this platinum head totally unusable now. I inlcuded pics, as you will see, I think the same head, but set a bit differently, makes the ring look very different/ It''s as if he squared the prongs right off...they don''t come up an over the diamond at all...they look more like fistail prongs to me..sitting outside of the diamond. Any help, advice? What would you do? BTW, this is the thirs time the ring went back, he made it the wrong size initially, and then had to resize, then taper the gold, since one side was wider, then fix the prong (which meant re-setting the diamond). Thanks for letting me vent!

My original setting.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Here is what it NOW looks like!

after reset with the same head.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Profile to show how high it now sits (why can't I figure out how to post more than one pic per post)? Sorry...

profile of ring now.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah! Those are some huge prongs! I think the bench person went overboard with trying to play it safe.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, really not liking the top view of the new prongs. The side view looks nice...but the top...
6.gif
...definitely not anything like the first version! After this many mistakes, I don''t know if I''d go back to the same jeweler...though they should shoulder the cost of getting it right.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s honesty, keep it coming..really..I am quite upset, and they seem to look at me like I am being too picky..trying to get it right. I loved the ring the first time, so why can''t he make it look the same now? If I look at Stuller''s pics of diamonds set in the head, they still have the split look, and curve up and over the edge of the diamond. If I already paid for it in full (when I first received the ring), and now it looks so different, what are my options? I know they probably won''t take it back and try it again...do I bring it to another benchman and pay him to try to get it right? Will I have to fork out hundreds for a new Stuller head if this can''t be reused? Ahhhhhhh...I am so confused as to what to do!! Thanks

K9

Brilliant_Rock
WHAT THE?!?!
6.gif

Ok, THAT''S just not right. There''s not enough prong over the stone now IMO. It looks weird. I would definitely have them drop the stone down a bit and try to "wrap" the prongs over the crown better.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Can a professional chime in here? Can a benchman lower the diamond, and set it right, without having to order a brand new head? Thanks

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
39.gif
I''m so sorry that you are having such a hard time getting what you want.

I really hope that everything turns out well for you... I think if I were in your position I would take it to someone else even if that meant shelling out the extra $$$.... I would want someone who knew what they were doing. The original pic of your ring looks so good with those delicate prongs. I know that those can be made without being fragile.

G/L with everything.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks posh...I was thinking that someone must be able to do the claw like prongs, even though I was told by the lady at the jewelry store, that they can''t because they aren''t strong enough. My concern is, what If I bring it to a different professional, and he accidently chips or breaks the diamond..then where do I stand? At least if that happened by the store''s diamond setter, they would have to replace it. Do I insure it, then have the work done...I don''t even know if insurance would cover that.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry and I don''t think you''re being too picky.

I take it that you bought the stone at this store? If so try again. Most insurance companies won''t insure a loose diamond. Or maybe give up and talk with Leon? Yes an expensive option. But the pictures of his work are so fine.
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not like the stone set up that high. I might go to another jeweler.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2007 7:19:25 PM
Author: beau13
Thanks posh...I was thinking that someone must be able to do the claw like prongs, even though I was told by the lady at the jewelry store, that they can''t because they aren''t strong enough. My concern is, what If I bring it to a different professional, and he accidently chips or breaks the diamond..then where do I stand? At least if that happened by the store''s diamond setter, they would have to replace it. Do I insure it, then have the work done...I don''t even know if insurance would cover that.

YES!!!

Since your diamond is set into a ring you can go insure it. Then once they (whoever you decide on) re-sets the diamond, the diamond will be covered by the insurance. (Please someone tell me if I am wrong, but this is the impression I have gotten from reading about insurance questions on this forum)...

I know its so hard trying to find someone competent and willing to do the work... I really do feel for you!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again Posh, I did insure it today, then took it to a goldsmith...who said all he could do was add to the top of the prongs, to make it appear to come up over the diamond...but only in a month or so, when he gets his platinum machine (not currently set up to work with platinum).I thought the diamond could be lowered and prongs re-worked, but he said the guy who set it, notched the prongs too high up, which is why there was no prong left to cover the crown. So..I am thinking ...why can''t he cut the top part of the prongs off, set it lower, and notch itt again? Is that so difficult? I really find it unfair that I might have to fork out a few hundred $$''s for another platinum head, if this one is unusable. I have only ONE other guy in town, who can do this kind of work, so maybe I will see what he thinks Monday. I sent an e-mail to the store I purchased this nightmare from, and they have not e-mailed me back yet (strange, as they usually e-mail quickly, and I sent that yesterday). Almost like they got their money, I got the ring, and everyone is supposed to be happy? NICE CUSTOMER service. At this point, my hubby is set to march in there and DEMAND a refund, and I will start searching for a new diamond, and ring mount. Thanks everyone!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I''d be really thinking about asking for a total refund. But you love the stone right?

Whatever you decide good luck!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I sent an e-mail to the store that I purchased the diamond from, to let them know I was disappointed tht the setter sent me a ring, that looks very different than the one I agreed to purchase. To make a long story short. I bought the diamond, looked at their setting, which were about 2 grams in weight, very outdated, and of NO quality, with slim picking! I even agreed to provide my own 18K roseco cathedral that weighed 8 grams , but the sales lady told me is was VERY easy for a similar mount to be made. So, a simlar one was made, weighing about 5.5-6 grams. She then told me to look at the Stuller site, for prongs, which is where I picked out the twin prong. I also advised of the correct size, but when the ring was set, the size was WAY off, the setting was not symetrical, one side was about 5mm wide, the other about 4.5mm, but to me looked ODD! So..they sent it back out to a different city to be sized correctly, shank narrowed to be symmetical, and sent back. It looked FABULOUS! It had Leon Mege type claws which I specifically asked for! 2 days later, the prong broke, and the ring had to be resent for repair.I was told, the setter should not have tapered the claws like I wanted, and to reset it, it would have to be done to "Stuller specifications" This is when the ring received a new platinum head, diamond reset into what is now looks like(sheared off at the top, no prong coverage at all) I find it insulting that she is trying to put blame on me, for any part of this. As a business they chose to contract out, so they SHOULD absorb the cost of shipping, insurance, etc, for sending it back and forth. Why would she make it sound like they were being so nice to do this for me? If their setter would have followed instructions, made it right the first time, there wouldn''t be an issue! This is the saleslady''s response, you tell me what you would do...

"I understand that you may be disappointed to a certain extent. However, from the beginning, you''ve altered how every small aspect of this ring was to be done. You altered the shaped, the thickness, the width, the height, the twin claw setting.... ALTERED!!! This was hand made not machine made. Maybe machine made would have been a better alternative for you. To have your ring come out of a mass produced mold that is perfectly symmetrical and identifiable.

You told me that you didn''t want the claws on top to be like little balls (beads) Your words were: I hate that!!! Following that statement, we discussed that we would square off the claws. So we did. Had you allowed us to set the diamond the way it''s supposed to be set!

I realize that this is an expensive ring.The expense is in the 1.76ctw diamond. I was working for you. We paid for all the shipping and insurance as well as the platinum setting without questions asked. We have tried to accommodate everything you''ve asked for and what I''m hearing from you is how disappointed you are. If you want to speak with your setter directly on this, maybe you''ll have better luck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it''s "hand made" and they were doing all these modifications for you....Why didn''t they just tell you that they couldn''t do custom? Sounds like they used a Stuller "machine made" setting and made modifications. That''s my take based on what you said.

Did you all agree on what you wanted and THEN you made changes? It sounds like that''s what she''s saying.

For what it''s worth I''m sorry you''re in this situation.
7.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
No, I brought a pic to the store with me, told them I wanted a 4mm wide carthedral shank (which they did not have on hand), with the "claws" shown in the pics I had (Leon Mege pieces). The gal said, "sure, we can make a simple setting, in the width and weight you want, and you can look at Stuller for the head, which I found..the "twin prong". It seemed very simple. Once it came back, the first time, it looked exactly like I had hoped, but it was the wrong size, and a bit uneven in width. Off for some tweeking! Then, it came back again, and fit better, looked great, wore it for 3 days, and a prong broke! This is when it went back for a third meeting with the setter, and he changed the head, and made these modifications. Again, it looked nothing like the first time I got it! Now...they are paying a local jeweler to try to fix it (showing it to him today), since they don''t want to the diamond setter to play with it again (4th time). I swear..I will have the ring looking the way I want (and initially agreed upon), sooner or later!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for all you're going through. I know I would be terribly frustrated. Don't let it taint how you feel about the ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results