shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond OK?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ready2AskHer

Rough_Rock
Hi, I've been lurking and now I'm ready to ask you questions!!!! This a a great site and you guys keep it interesting and full of good knowledge.
I am ready to ask her but I know so little about diamonds. Please help this guy figure out what diamond to purchase?

I'm looking at THIS DIAMOND. I went and saw it in person.
It is:
Round Brilliant
0.90 carat
6.18x6.25x3.84
GIA certified
laser inscription GIA registry number
F color
VS2 Clarity
Excellent Cut
report says there is a "Cloud, Feather"
Polish is Very Good
Symmetry is Very Good
Flourescence None
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.8%
Pavillion angle: 41.0 degrees
crown angle: 33.5 degrees
Crown height: 15%
Pavillion depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 55%
Lower half: 85%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, Faceted (3.6%)
Culet: Very Small

I would really appreaciate your input, as you are the experts. Is there anything about the diamond that scares you or stands out at you? I ran the specs through the HCA (cut advisor) and it receives a score of 1.1 whatever that means. The two things that worry me are the "Very Small Culet" and the "Thin to Slightly Thick Girdle". Is a very small cutlet anything to worry about? Is a "Thin" girdle a risk (should I only go with medium to slightly thick?)? Thanks guys...I can't wait to ask her!!!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can do better on price:
look at
this

or this.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
This could be a nice diamond. You didn''t provide the details of the cut specs to get lots of opinions. I did a quick check and the price is in the ball park. Have you seen any pics of the stone?

Whiteflash has some nice stones in their Expert Slection that look comparable and provide a lot of info online, like this F SI1. If nothing else this should give you a comparison. Most SI1''s are just fine, and can be good value, but you''d have to ask if it is "eye-clean".

To asnwer your questions, unless you are planning a tension setting rather than a prong setting, a thin girdle should be fine. Ask the vendor to give you more details about how much is thin and if it looks dangerously thin. It is unually only extremely thin that you have to be concerned with. A small culet is fine also -- nothing to worry about.

Ready2AskHer

Rough_Rock
Pink Flamingo and Lop,
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I checked them out. I would like to stay VS if I can, even though I realize that it's just a letter on a paper that might be graded differently on a different occasion. There's just something about being more confident that it's eye-clean that makes me feel better. Oh, I added all the diamond specs above that are on the grading report.
Derek

Small

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=GIA-14741760

If you like VS then I did a search and a few showed up in your range but I only posted this one.
Don''t know how you feel about "I" color but this one looked pretty good. I''m a G/H color girl myself with RB but an I should face up white and especially a well cut RB like this one. Check the girdle though... I usually like thin to thick or med to thick and this one is thin to med which probably isn''t a concern but if it interests you I''d ask.
Just another option to look at. I''d contine comparing if you aren''t in a super big hurry and then if this is the one you keep coming back to then pull the trigger. 1.1 on the HCA is good so no worries there.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you loved the looks of it I dont see a reason to reject it.
Should be a very bright diamond

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I did not think the price was completely off considering the high color and clarity. The specs look good. Very small culet should not be a worry. The girdle is fine. It''s only extremely thin that can be a worry. HCA likes it, which is what the 1.1 means. Should be a good performer. You''ve seen it. What did you think of it?

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results