shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond good enough for someone not terribly picky?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jennyt

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone!

I feel like I am already learning a lot...

Here are the specs on a diamond I am considering:

Princess cut, 1.2 carat, H color, VS1

Depth:
68.9%

Table:
77%

Girdle:
Very Thin to Thick

Culet:
None

Polish:
Very Good

Symmetry:
Very Good

Fluorescence:
Strong

Measurements:
6.07 x 5.89 x 4.06

Length / Width Ratio:

I know the table looks big, but what does that mean exactly? How is the depth? I don''t want to purchase a 1.2 carat diamond that looks smaller...Also, will the large table size affect sparkle? I don''t need something perfect, just a nice, glittery stone will do. Finally, I am considering the fluorescence a positive since I am a "winter" in color and don''t look great in warm tones. I am hoping the blue tint will make the diamond appear less warm. Thoughts?

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
I plugged your info into www.gemappraisers.com and it came up as a 2B which is better than you get in most B&M stores. The depth is fine. Is the strong fluorescence blue or another color? If it''s something other than blue you don''t want it. I don''t care for girdles that are very thin because they can break. I would consider thin to thick but not very thin to thick. You might want to consider going down in clarity as you don''t need to buy a VS1 and can save yourself some money. Just make sure you can''t see the inclusions with your naked eye and the scintillation and sparkle is fabulous. You need to see the stone to make your final decision. Good luck.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/13/2004 4:50:40 PM
Author: zoobiedo
I plugged your info into www.gemappraisers.com and it came up as a 2B which is better than you get in most B&M ...

Hi Zoobiedo,

I just wanted to point out a small part of your post that might give some reader the wrong idea.

I know you probably did'nt mean to disaparage B&M's.

For the sake of clarity, I would seperate chain store/mall stores from what I consider B&M's or independent jewelers.

As well there are many high end independents that are in malls, so being in a mall by itself is not an indication.

I would probably agree if you had said chain stores.

However, I disagree strongly with the suggestion that B&M's carry inferior diamonds.

In fact, many of the B&M's I know stock many high quality diamonds and because these diamonds are in stock, the B&M's are able to answer all relavent questions concerning the diamond not to mention they are able to show the diamonds to interested viewers without jumping thru hoops.

As well, any independent can call in any diamond from any virtual list

Thanks for listening.

Edited

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know much about princess cuts, but why wouldn't you want to be picky? The stone that you are choosing is high enough on the near-colorless scale, you chose VS1 clarity when most budget and quality conscious people would stick to VS2, SI1 and even at times SI2, and if you are posting some stats, there must be some part of you that was picky, or else you'd just buy the stone without a second thought... Just wonderin'.....

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock

Brian -

Thanks for the clarification. I really was referring to the sometimes inferior National chain mall stores of which I won''t mention any names. There are many fine B&M stores. I just was not thinking clearly when I wrote.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Girdle thickness reads "very thin to thick" - if the "very thin" part happen on the corners, this stone may well end up chipped soon enough. Not worth the risk, IMO, since there are many princess cut diamonds out there.

I have really nothing bad to say about fluorescence, but "strong" may be a bit much, while that H color grade does not really need help to look colorless. Once the stone is mounted, whatever difference there is between H and F (say) will really fade away substantially. "Medium" fluorescence is a safer bet - aside the slight "whitening" you mention, there is really no chance to see your diamond glow blue in the dark. "Strong" may well be a tad too much to bear... no teling before seeing the stone.

With no cut study for princess cuts to use for guessing brilliance... I would expect the LARGE table to make this one somewhat less brilliant and flat looking from the side. If light return is not a major concern, this may not be that bad - large tables like this show off intricate faceting on the pavilion of princess cuts.

If color is a concern, why not F/SI1 ? Like THIS ... still about 6mm for 5k (as I guessed your candidate may cost).

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

If not picky = flat, glassy stone with little fire...then yes, it will be fine.

I''m not stuck on perfect numbers, but the table should be a little smaller. 77 is BIG.

On the other hand, the stone will surely look really big.

It depends on what is most important to you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

80PrMov.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And this is one with slightly higher crown and 68% table

1.gif
(Refresh the page once if the movie does not play)

0161-12728_Mov.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ana! Your skills on the computer always amaze me!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results