shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond going to be adequate?

ouperkins1

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am currently looking a loose diamond to fit into a ring that my girlfriend has fallen in love with.

I'm in search for an oval diamond to fit into a 18 carat rose gold halo setting.
(Approximate dimensions of the Morganite stone in place currently is 10 X 8 )

I have found a diamond online that is a little smaller than the dimensions of the aforementioned morganite stone but my jeweler has assured me wound fit without any gapping along the halo. It seems as if my jeweler is hesitant for me to use the diamond I found online because of the depth of the diamond (and possibly because she wants the business as well? ). I was wondering what some other opinions may be of this diamond. The jeweler was concerned about the possibility of a 'bow-tie' effect and that refractory light would be lost out of the side of the diamond.

I've included a copy of the pdf from the GIA report. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

(My jeweler is recommending a stone that is Color: I, VS2, 9.4 X 7.00 x 4.4 , and is approximately $1600 more than the one I found online).

Thanks for any help in advance !

~Aaron

Attachments

• 1.71 h vvs1.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 36

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have any images of the diamond?

ouperkins1

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I don't have any images of the diamond. I can have it sent overnight, but don't have it locally.

Do you think it's worth having it sent to me? Or would I be better going with the diamond I've seen at the local jeweler's but is 1500 more.

Thanks for your help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most shallow oval diamonds will have a bowtie. If the diamond is super shallow it could be a pronounced one-- which might account for why the diamond is priced so low. Without pictures it will be hard to tell you anything.

You jeweler sounds like a good one actually. It sounds like the reservation they have with purchasing online is that you want a fancy, an oval, and you can't buy one from the numbers you have to see them to know if you have a good one... so your jeweler is probably concerned because most online jewelers (like blue nile) won't have the diamonds in front of them and can't examine them for you.

I would either use a company like James Allen or GOG or ERD if I was buying a fancy online. Or buy one through a good local jeweler.

It sounds like you are getting good advice and ignoring it.

If you want to get that one in... do so, making sure you have a good return policy. But if you don't even know what a bowtie is and you are shopping for an oval... you aren't educated enough. And you aren't likely to make good decisons.

TELL ME... would you shop for a race car if you didn't know the difference between a manual and automatic transmission. Or if you didn't even know what a transmission IS?

THAT is where you are at.

So either trust your local jeweler or get educated on ovals REALLY QUICK so you know what you are doing and so you don't spend a ton of money on something that you know nothing about.

ouperkins1

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information. That's definitely what I needed to hear.

It is true that I know very little about diamonds. I'm just looking to save money if possible.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results