shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond fair value ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redface

Rough_Rock
The following diamond has been offered to me at UK£3500 ($6900). I am in england so presumably prices are a little above US but is this a nice diamond (on paper obviously), what should I watch for and does it sound like its in the ball park. This place also offers a 10 day money back guarantee.

GIA certified

ROUND BRILLIANT
D colour
6.25-6.30 x 3.89mm
0.95 carat

Proportions
Depth 62%
Table 59%
Girdle MED-SLIGHTLY THICK, FACETED
Culet NONE

Finish
Polish VG
Symettry VG

Clarity VS2
Charact Crystal, Cloud, Feather
Flourescence Medium Blue

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
redface,

Welcome to Pricescope,

Your post doesn't list a color. There also isn't much information included about the cut so it will be difficult for people to narrow down the pricing with much precision. You can use the database tool at the top of the page to look for other diamonds for sale that are similar to yours. Most of those are for sale by US vendors so you will need to add in the VAT and customs if you are going to use them to compare.

Happy hunting.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

redface

Rough_Rock
Of course stupid of me - colour D.

Ill check the database but if anyone has any rough comments please let me know.

Cheers

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Red,

Not sure if pecularities of the UK market drive prices somewhat differently, but just as Neil mentions, having peeked at the databases provided here, it looks like yours is priced at the high side of what the available options are. Also, though many people seek florescence, and those in the know feel it adds, rather than detracts, value...more typically it will provide a modest discount.

Two main, and one minor suggestion:

a) read the turorial above under "knowledge."
b) if you can''t find stores offering either AGS certificates for their diamonds, or sarin for measuring them, get an ideal scope so you can establish some quality controls for looking at diamonds (though I must confess for having failed to gain any expertise yet in this endeavor...but good advice suggests it can help).
c) Consider if a vacation can bring you in the proximity of one of the more respected internet vendors here, (searching the forums here will help to give you a feel) and determine on your own the most appropriate way for getting the diamond back home.

Best wishes!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Red,

If you love the stone and the other parts of the deal, the price seems pretty fair. I''m not up on the British tax system but I think the import duty is about 5% plus the VAT (which you''ll have to pay anyway). It''s often convenient to buy from a dealer who is close to home and this may be worth a little extra as well. If you haven''t actually seen the stone, you should reserve your final judgement until you''ve had a chance to look it over in a variety of lighting conditions and perhaps show it to an independent expert if you''re still nervous about it.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results