shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond a good deal?

Radichan

Rough_Rock
I am choosing a diamond for my engagement ring and have a couple of contenders. Could you let me know your thoughts on whether they are "good" diamonds at a good price and if not, why not? Attaching the links and GIA certs, too. Many thanks!

cert (1).jpeg cert (2).jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These arent ones I would personally consider. The first one has "disorganized" looking arrows, and the second one is better but looks like it might have leakage under the table and the arrows look "splintery"

If you tell us your preferences for clarity/color/price we can help!

Radichan

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

Budget is 30k. Would love to find something something G or better, VS2 or higher (but basically eye clean, so would go to SI1 if it looks clear). If possible, between 2.1-2.5 carats.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy this one in a second if I were you.

Super ideal cut, amazing $1 upgrade policy, eye clean SI1 (email them to confirm but it looks clean to me), and G color within budget.

If you would prefer higher clarity, this is another excellent choice
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4264605.htm

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am choosing a diamond for my engagement ring and have a couple of contenders. Could you let me know your thoughts on whether they are "good" diamonds at a good price and if not, why not? Attaching the links and GIA certs, too. Many thanks!

cert (1).jpeg cert (2).jpeg

Both a giant no for me

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
High performance diamonds also has a few potential options. They are on the same level as whiteflash "a cut above " and have the same $1 upgrade policy.

This one is being cut now: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10946

Or this one, which is higher clarity but slightly smaller: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonds/diamonds-search

You can't go wrong with either WF or HPD.

Edit. I was looking at stones that get you at or under 30k with wire discount, but if you arent wiring $ then these are 900 over budget.

Radichan

Rough_Rock
High performance diamonds also has a few potential options. They are on the same level as whiteflash "a cut above " and have the same $1 upgrade policy.

This one is being cut now: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10946

Or this one, which is higher clarity but slightly smaller: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonds/diamonds-search

You can't go wrong with either WF or HPD.

Edit. I was looking at stones that get you at or under 30k with wire discount, but if you arent wiring $ then these are 900 over budget.

Great! Thank you, I will check those out. Are HP Diamonds and White Flash of a higher standard in general than James Allen or Blue Nile?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you in- could you please expand on your reasons a bit? TIA

Run any round brilliant through the HCA and throw out anything over 2. Under 2 is under consideration given images etc. so under 2 isn’t a guarantee but over 2 is a definite throw out.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gia excellent:

Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About Whiteflash, High Performance Diamonds, Brian Gavin, Victoria Canera

Yes, you don’t have to look anymore. Just pick one based on your budget. They are all in stock and have been vetted.

James Allen and Blue Nile are drop shippers. The do not have most of the diamonds in stock. Their upgrade policies are you have to spend double.

Most of my diamonds are from blue Nile. I did get caught with their upgrade policy in not having the ability to upgrade my asscher because I only wanted to spend about 6k more, not 18k more.

Meanwhile, I have just upgraded my HPD .64 to a 1.09 and they give you full amount back and you just have to spend 1$ more. Whiteflash also.

The super ideal vendors are just a lot easier to deal with.

Here is my HPD/CBI .64 I vs2 I traded in for a 1.09 K si1 (don’t have it yet).

Attachments

• F5AD24EA-6F3E-4D1B-98AC-EF19B654554C.jpeg
    F5AD24EA-6F3E-4D1B-98AC-EF19B654554C.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 28

Radichan

Rough_Rock

Run any round brilliant through the HCA and throw out anything over 2. Under 2 is under consideration given images etc. so under 2 isn’t a guarantee but over 2 is a definite throw out.

I did! They scored a 1.7 and 0.7 respectively. This is why I was surprised that they were so quickly dismissed. I am still learning and I guess under 2 is no guarantee, but I was wondering what I was missing otherwise.

Radichan

Rough_Rock

Yes, you don’t have to look anymore. Just pick one based on your budget. They are all in stock and have been vetted.

James Allen and Blue Nile are drop shippers. The do not have most of the diamonds in stock. Their upgrade policies are you have to spend double.

Most of my diamonds are from blue Nile. I did get caught with their upgrade policy in not having the ability to upgrade my asscher because I only wanted to spend about 6k more, not 18k more.

Meanwhile, I have just upgraded my HPD .64 to a 1.09 and they give you full amount back and you just have to spend 1$ more. Whiteflash also.

Thank you! I just had a look online about White Flash and its policies seem phenomenal! I will check the others out, too. It is nice to know you can't buy a "bad" diamond from them!

Radichan

Rough_Rock

That is a beautiful looking ring! Those policies sound much better. I will stop looking at JA and BN, I think! (Especially as a non-expert!)

Radichan

Rough_Rock
The older I get, I just want to make it easy and pick one lol. You can call whiteflash and they will tell you all about the diamond.

Yes, I know what you mean! I am one week into trying to choose a diamond and I am already over it, lol! It is such a big decision and one I don't want to mess it up.

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I’m going to have to agree with everyone else, neither of those diamonds are great, and you have a good budget! I second checking out HPD or WF. They have stones in the 2.5ct price range for $28,000ish that will be spectacular.....Plus an upgrade policy that cant be beat. Even BN will have amazing stones if you’re willing to check each diamonds angles/percentages individually and do some research. I personally wouldn’t settle for less than super ideal in your price range.

Radichan

Rough_Rock
I’m going to have to agree with everyone else, neither of those diamonds are great, and you have a good budget! I second checking out HPD or WF. They have stones in the 2.5ct price range for $28,000ish that will be spectacular.....Plus an upgrade policy that cant be beat. Even BN will have amazing stones if you’re willing to check each diamonds angles/percentages individually and do some research. I personally wouldn’t settle for less than super ideal in your price range.

Thank you! It is good to know it is the consensus. Both of those stones are now summarily thrown off of my list for consideration :lol-2:

A 2.5 for 28k would be great! I have been looking on blue nile as well, but as I discovered above, the Holloway Cut Advisor is far from foolproof and I guess you have to really know what you are looking for to find the good ones on Blue Nile (which I definitely don't yet!).

Thanks for all your advice, everyone! I am glad I came here to ask and didn't make an expensive mistake!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results