shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this cutting too bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Pls provide comment on the following round shape:

1.53 carats
E color
SI2
Depth 59.4%
Table 63%
Culet - none
Fluo - none

I realise that the table and depth proportion is not good at all, but i''ve seen the stone myself and it looks ok to me. I''ve also researched a number of sites on the web and compared prices, which are about 20% lower than what I''ve been quoted.

I''m confused
confused.gif
confused.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
As you noted, the cut is far from ideal, but if the proportions are okay this stone could be very bright... I've found that nicely proportioned stones with 61-65% table usually have quite a lot of white light... Can you give us additional details, as girdle thickness(stated on GIA) crown height and angle, pavilion height and angle (both via Sarin or OGI)??

BTW, is this stone eye-clean??

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the quick response !

The girdle is thin - thick, fluorescence - none, culet - none, symm - VG,
polish - VG

But I don't have other details cos the dealer only has a GIA cert.

Will I make foolish decisions if I only rely on GIA certs?

Incidently, is the price for diamonds generally lower in the States ? Because I travel a lot and I may make purchase overseas.

rolleyes.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's eye-clean and under the magnifier the more obvious inclusion is a cloud
twirl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Could you ask your vendor for a Sarin report??

new new

Rough_Rock
...I've found that nicely proportioned stones with 61-65% table usually have quite a lot of white light...

what "white light means"? more reflection?

Yupi

Rough_Rock
I've asked but that will add to the price and besides I've not decided whether to buy it or not. So according to your experience relying solely on GIA reports will lead to stupid decisions?
15.gif
cry.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The vendor is a LIER!! A sarin costs about 0 to $10... If you have to pay shipping, maybe $50, but not more!!!

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
It's very hard to judge the quality of the cut with the information provided in the GIA cert alone. Is there any way you can negotiate with your dealer to try to 'arm-twist' him into providing the Sarin numbers?

Otherwise, a really good alternative is to get your hands on an Idealscope - you can order one from Garry Holloway; click 'ideal-scope' in the toolbar at the top of this page. He can get one to you in a matter of days. I ordered one from him to use when I was buying a diamond and it really is an easy way to guage the cut of the stone, light leakage, etc.

Also, I notice that you mentioned that the price you were quoted is about 20% more than the prices available on the internet. Do consider this avenue as a possible alternative to buying from a B&M store. One advantage of buying online (besides being, by your analysis, 20% cheaper
1.gif
) is that a good number of sites provide very detailed information on the diamonds they sell. So you needn't worry about not having information like the Sarin report numbers to hand. Something to think about maybe?
1.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone but I'm working outside the States right now and I've been already lucky enough to find this link, otherwise I'd be like thousands of diamond semi- informed consumers out there.

I regard to say that I'm the good-old traditional consumer and not an internet-buying person at all. I appreciate all your opinions and knows that the GIA cert alone tells me very little, so that's why I seek help from this link.

I'll surely check out the equipment. I've checked the recommended chart for the cutting and it's an International fine trade cut. Not having an obssession about H&A cut (yet), should I go for it ? I think I will try and twist the dealer's arm for a price cut !

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
That's a good idea. One idea is to show your dealer the internet prices of comparative stones and use these to bargain for a more competitive price. I think Mara is always advocating this as an option.

Have you seen any stones you're interested in with AGS certificates? AGS gives more information on the cut.

By the way, where are you based Yupiland? I'm not in the US either.

Yupi

Rough_Rock
I'm based in the Asia Pacific region - where every dealer seems to know only about GIA cert. It's really funny because I know a lot of small dealers may offer the same kind of stone to me (if I can wait for them to find one and if I can trust them) cheaper than the larger, more trust-worthy (therefore demand a higher price) dealers.

See the thing is this large dealer offer special refunds scheme - you can cash back 90% of the selling price within 365 days of purchase. Of course they accept trade in of their own stock with conditions.

I know very little about the relevant norms in the States.
confused.gif

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
I see. Well if I can't tempt you into even considering buying off the internet (as a fellow consumer who lives in Asia but bought online), then at least consider getting the Idealscope. It will help loads!
10.gif

Since you're in Hong Kong, you might want to check out this store:
Carrera Jewellery
Shop 208, The Galleria
9 Queen's Road, Central
Tel: (852) 2317 1606

I've never been there, but I've been to the Singapore branch and they had some good stuff. A lot of my friends buy from the Singapore shop and have been very satisfied with their purchases. From what I understand, the Hong Kong shop is owned by the brother of the owner of the Singapore branch, and the Hong Kong branch has a much larger variety of stones from which to choose.

However, you're probably not going to find Sarin capabilities there either, but that's where your Idealscope comes in!

Stay SARS-free and best of luck!
wavey.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Thanks !
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results