shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this custom quote too expensive?

penelope194

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I are going with a local jeweler for a custom ring. We are providing a .58 carat round center stone set in a 14k white gold band as a solitaire. The jeweler is going to melt down the white gold and add more (since it is a thin band), then re-set the center stone in a custom design. Basically like this, but with sapphires on the band instead of diamonds:

Green-on-the-Insidecopy_zps2caa2eb4.jpeg

The jeweler has quoted us $1,800 plus tax for the custom ring, using our center stone and our gold. They have great online reviews across the board, salespeople have been helpful and haven't tried to up-sell us, and we've been impressed with their work so far, but I have zero context for how much this should cost. They're requiring a deposit of half the total cost before they make the wax ring. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS - We are in Southern California, if it matters.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
The majority of customs designs start at around 2k to $2500. I rarely see anything as low as $1800 for a ring.

However, some thoughts. Why are you going custom? Most jewelers will have a ring similar to the one you posted. IDJ has one that I believe is under $1800, but it doesn't have anything on the shank (diamonds or sapphires). Are you using sapphires to keep the costs down? I'm concerned becasue most jewelers will use darky, inky sapphires as that is what is cheap and I'm not sure how that would look in this ring. If you are trying to keep the costs down I would just have the plain shank. Many of PS have done this and I'm a big fan of the look.

Check out the Gabriel and Co settings at IDJ.

penelope194

Rough_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362488560|3396718 said:
The majority of customs designs start at around 2k to $2500. I rarely see anything as low as $1800 for a ring.

However, some thoughts. Why are you going custom? Most jewelers will have a ring similar to the one you posted. IDJ has one that I believe is under $1800, but it doesn't have anything on the shank (diamonds or sapphires). Are you using sapphires to keep the costs down? I'm concerned becasue most jewelers will use darky, inky sapphires as that is what is cheap and I'm not sure how that would look in this ring. If you are trying to keep the costs down I would just have the plain shank. Many of PS have done this and I'm a big fan of the look.

Thank you for your reply! I'm actually using sapphires because I want them, not to keep costs down. Do you think it would be a better idea to go with a pre-existing setting and have them change out the stones on the band for sapphires?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
penelope194|1362499802|3396832 said:
Sarahbear621|1362488560|3396718 said:

Thank you for your reply! I'm actually using sapphires because I want them, not to keep costs down. Do you think it would be a better idea to go with a pre-existing setting and have them change out the stones on the band for sapphires?

My recommendation would do a plain shank and then get a wedding band with sapphires. Just my .02 but if you put sapphires on the shank they will look more black then blue. Here is my set that I wear with a sapphire band.

Also the most expensive part is usually labor so I don't think it will save you anything by getting a diamond set and then switching it out. Now you are putting more stipulations on your jeweler to find a certain size etc.

_4236.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results