shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this considered padparadscha?

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Hi all.

I was reading about pads on this forum. I know the definition of "pad" is equal mixture of pink and orange in a pale-light-medium tone. However, when I search for pads, many are claiming pretty saturated colours as pads.

Just wanted to get your opinions on this one:
Is this a pad?
Thanks!

il_570xN.1146401485_bj12.jpg

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert, but it looks like it would qualify to me. I think it's beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something to consider, a padpatadcha can only be one with the lack of diffusion or other forms of invasive color enhancing treatment. Based on the color above, I would say that's an orange sapphire. I don't see pink in that photo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I presume you purchased it without paperwork? Put it this way, if the vendor didn't charge you padparadscha prices, most likely it isn't classified as one. Trust me, vendors are more than happy to charge padparadshca prices if it even remotely looks like one.:D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should never spend a great deal of money on any sapphire labeled "padparadcha" by a vendor without a REPUTABLE lab report from that deems it so. That means labs like AGL, GIA, GRS, Gueblin or SSEF. I wouldn't trust a gemologist with standard gemological equipment either. In many cases these gems require testing with highly specialized and expensive equipment. This is because the color can be easily enhanced by diffusion which cannot always be detected with standard equipment.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the report says there is evidence of heat treatment but I don't know if UGS tests for diffusion, and this is a fairly common color for diffused sapphires. I have never bought from this seller because a lot of his stuff doesn't have reports and the reports they do have often don't meet my standards for the prices they are charging and colors they have.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heat can also mean diffusion. Most smaller labs don't specify the details. For example, I have an AGL lab report on a blue sapphire, and although it cost an extra amount of money to get it tested with an expensive spectrometer device, my lab report says "heat only, no other treatment." I did have to specify that I wanted it tested for diffusion. Sometimes they can verify diffusion with standard gemological equipment, but in my case, they had to get the expensive device to do so.

Last edited:

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your advice. Since I'm still a newbie in gemstone buying, I probably won't take the risk!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pads can indeed be a similar sort of colour but you need a lab to confirm on a certificate that it has enough pink in it to qualify for the label. There is no point paying extra pricing for something that should be cheaper with out those words on the certificate.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if you're paying a premium price would want to be getting what you're paying for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results