shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this considered a "good deal"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Firstly, thanks to this forum, I have learned more than I could have imagined about this industry...

With that said, please share your opinions on this "deal".. I respect your opinion greatly. This diamond would cost me $8500.

Thanks all..

Signature Ideal Cut
E
VVS2
68% Depth
68% Table
VG Symmetry
Ex Polish
No Culet
No fluor
5.7x5.6x3.81
10.4% Crown
Medium to Slightly Thick Girdle

The girdle concerns me. Should it? I just want to stun my girlfriend, but not my bank account.. Im too young : /

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
is this a princess cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a Princess Cut stone?
If it is pretty looking, I would not be concerned about the girdle at all.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
This is a princess cut.

Sorry about that...

I am embaressed to say that I have not seen it yet. It''s on BlueNile, which in my experience, seems very well priced compared to the Diamond Distrtict in Philly.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yikes...don''t compare to the diamond district in philly!
34.gif

use this http://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx you can also use the regular search above (pricescope your diamond) that will include virtual options as well.

e/vvs could be considered ''overkill'' for color and clarity. you could very safely go down to f/g and vs/si clarity with a well cut diamond and not notice any difference.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
but don''t women talk about these things? is this something they brag about? i don''t want my girlfriend to feel inferior AT ALL...

thanks again

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s all about the sparkle. I''m sure most women would prefer a super sparkly F/G VS/clean SI over an E VVS. Believe me, it isn''t inferior at all. In fact, most mall stores sell J/K and I1 stones. Unless you are very colour sensitive and have eagle eyes, you can''t tell the difference when the stone is mounted.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Certainly, an E VVS would be more sparkly though, correct?

Here''s the thing.. My girlfriend and I looked at a 1.0 I VVS2 2b cut diamond which I thought was gorgeous. My girlfriend thought is was the most incredible thing she had ever seen. The woman at Robbins quoted me $4750..

I could have paid on the spot, but I knew that the diamond we looked at was incredible because we didn''t have anything more beautiful to compare it to, you know?

Also, that price was a bit high, but thats besides the point..

Luckily, my girlfriend has tiny fingers and doesn''t want anything bigger than a carat, so i might as well buy an incredible one carat diamond...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 11:28:54 AM
Author: mark0611

noooooooo no no no no no no nono
38.gif
no

color and clarity alone have very very little impact on ''sparkle'' it is the diamond CUT that makes the diamond perform well. a well cut diamond of lower color will out perform (sparkle) a poorly cut one of higher color.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
From what I''ve seen most people really don''t understand clarity so I wouldn''t buy a VVS2 just to say it is a VVS stone- To most people it is flawless or it isn''t. I would get a VS2 or SI1 stone that has no visible inclusions. No one can tell the difference without magnification. Color is a little more known, but still not a huge deal. I would go with an F or G to get the most bang for your buck if you are worried about color. I purchased my fiance and I color eyclean SI1 ACA from Whiteflash and the only thing people say is how sparkly it is. I have a friend who purchased an F color VS stone, paid way more, and the only difference on a passive side by side comparison that was really detectable was how sparkly the I color stone was. Don''t buy a stone to impress people with specs because that really isn''t gonna happen. Get what you are comfortable with...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here''s the thing.. My girlfriend and I looked at a 1.0 I VVS2 2b cut diamond which I thought was gorgeous. My girlfriend thought is was the most incredible thing she had ever seen. The woman at Robbins quoted me $4750..

I could have paid on the spot, but I knew that the diamond we looked at was incredible because we didn''t have anything more beautiful to compare it to, you know?

Also, that price was a bit high, but thats besides the point..

Luckily, my girlfriend has tiny fingers and doesn''t want anything bigger than a carat, so i might as well buy an incredible one carat diamond...
No, colour and clarity does not make the ring sparkle. The CUT does. This is why we like to analyze numbers here.
27.gif
A well cut H SI1 will certainly outperform a so-so cut E VVS diamond at any given time and day.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

i can agree with this too!

use the first seach i linked you to https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx and get the best CUT diamond you can and don''t put your focus on color/clarity. they should be ranked after cut.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I just had to emphasize what Belle previously mentioned. It is the cut that makes it sparkle, not color or clarity. If you want the most sparkly stone stick to ideal or signature ideal diamonds (AGS 000 or GIA excellent). The diamond angles (or cut) determine the light return and performance which causes the sparkle.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Color and Clarity have very very little to do with the "Sparkle" you are talking about...that''s all in the cut. Look in the pictures forum and take a look at the different diamonds people here have. After playing with master stones I can tell you anything in the F-I range look pretty close to each other when mounted. Granted, if you put an F next to an I of course you can tell...but an E VVS2 is overkill if you ask me. Some of my favorite rings on here are H/I SI1''s.

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Even if they are both "signature ideal" cut..

( i cant believe how responsive and helpful you all are)

.. I wish i could just pay you guys to pick out a diamond for me :)

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
As others have said, cut is KING! If that one element is superb, then everything else (sparkliness, etc..) will fall into place.

Make this easy on yourself- head on over to whiteflash and check out their ACA princesses. You cannot go wrong with those picks!

Oh yeah, I have a 1.4 G/SI1 princess (from whiteflash)- and no one has ever made a comment on the clarity of my stone. And why would they- it''s totally eye-clean!

mark0611

Rough_Rock
But if the cut of the diamond I have choosen is the best possible cut, then this thing should be gorgeous, right?

Signature ideal cut, e, vvs2

If I understand correctly, you are explaining that the e and vvs2 are not necessary?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 11:39:37 AM

Even if they are both ''signature ideal'' cut..
what does that mean? anyone can call their diamonds ''ideal'' or ''signature ideal'' or ''prettiest diamond'' or whatever they want but the real proof in the pudding (hmmmm...i think i''m hungry!) is in the performance. ags and gia (two most widely known grading labs) now grade by cut because they realize the importance of cut in relationship to performance. so, don''t just go by the vendor ''buzzword'' tags, make sure you are getting a diamond that actually proves it is a winner. if you can''t see it in person, the grading report becomes that much more important.
as does a good return policy.
2.gif

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Thanks Belle..

I suppose I need to read a bit more about Bluenile''s ideal signature cut. I thought that was the best..

Still have alot to learn :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 12:02:57 PM
Thanks Belle..

I suppose I need to read a bit more about Bluenile''s ideal signature cut. I thought that was the best..

you''re welcome.

i think bn''s ''ideal signature cut'' is THEIR best but i just don''t know what the exact criteria are. they carry some great diamonds but without knowing what makes a diamond ''signature ideal'' i wonder if some duds might accidentally get through. that''s where it pays to know what you are getting.
2.gif

best of luck mark, i hope you find the perfect diamond!
36.gif

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Me too.

Before I leave this forum.. Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction with the following:

Very Good or Excellent Symmetry- GIA
Very Good or Excellent Polish- GIA
NO Culet
NO Fluoresence
Preferred LxW ratio = 1
Depth % 64-75
Table % 59-72
Crown Height 8.5%-11%
Thin, Medium or Slightly Thick Girdle

Would these stats be considered a beautiful, sparkly cut? ; )

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 12:02:57 PM
Thanks Belle..

I personally would get an AGS 0 diamond VS2 of any color you feel comfortable with . . . if there isn''t a strict budget and you don''t want something more than a carat anyway . . . I would choose in this order . . . CUT first and most important, clarity no "better" than VS2 and a color that fits your needs. If you think you or your GF are color sensitive, get an E color diamond, nothing wrong with that because you can see a difference between an E and an H for instance but noone I know, not even my BF and I with our eagle eyes can see the difference between a VS2 and a VVS2 . . . I can see inclusions in many SI1 diamonds so if you want to stay on the "safe" side get a AGS0 ensuring great cut and a VS2 where you can be almost certain you won''t ever see anything, and the E color you seem to want. Good Luck . . . and post pictures when you are done.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 12:21:25 PM

Before I leave this forum.. Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction with the following:
leaving already!?
34.gif

Date: 3/20/2007 12:21:25 PM

Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction with the following:

Very Good or Excellent Symmetry- GIA don''t exclude ''excellent'' and ''ideal'' from ags
Very Good or Excellent Polish- GIA don''t exclude ''excellent'' and ''ideal'' from ags
NO Culet or v. small or small
NO Fluoresence blue fluorescence will not generally effect the stone negatively. i wouldn''t limit your search based on fluoro.
Preferred LxW ratio = 1 that will be verrrry square!
Depth % 64-75 sure...good enough
Table % 59-72 sure...good enough
Crown Height 8.5%-11% i''d probably stay above 10% with the crown and don''t stop at 11% 14% might be a better high
Thin, Medium or Slightly Thick Girdle sure...good enough
be sure to look for princess cuts graded by ags because they grade for LIGHT performance
30.gif

that way you KNOW you are getting a sparkly diamond.
2.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 11:39:37 AM

.. I wish i could just pay you guys to pick out a diamond for me :)

You don''t have to pay-- people here will do it for free (
37.gif
)... if you say what you are looking for and your budget, I guarantee you that a few people will find several beautiful princesses that will be as "sparkly" as any of your future fiance''s friends'' stones!

mark0611

Rough_Rock
Thanks boston...

I hope you are right. I''d be happy to send you a bottle of your fav for some help.

I don''t want to spend more than 10k, and preferably less than 8k.

I want a gorgeous diamond, at least as sparkly as the 2b IVVS2 that my girlfriend fell in love with..

And thanks other jake- I will be sure to check those links.
And thanks Belle for the guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results