shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this aqua priced fairly?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I''m new here but I''ve been lurking a bit...could use some advice.

My SO and I have been looking around for an unusual, non-diamond e-ring, and FINALLY found one we both LOVE (amazing) from topazery.com. So I have two questions, really:

1) Does this price fairly reflect the quality of the stones/setting?

2) Does anyone know about the reputation of the vendor?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The aqua picture and description don''t match. The description states it is very light and greenish blue. The picture seems darker and more blue to me. It is making me wonder if they enhanced it. For that price, I would want something a little darker. The color choice is up to you on what color you want, but a bluer aqua will demand a higher price point. I have also have no experience with the company.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Welcome to Pricescope. The ring is very pretty but in my humble opinion I do think the price is a bit high for a light aqua (based on their description) so I would worry about it being a pale blue stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could probably get all the materials for that ring off of ebay, and pay about $150 tops. The aqua is too light, the white sapphires are cheap, and the setting is very lightweight. In other words, it's overpriced.

Be really careful where you buy aquas. I find that so many online sellers use enhanced photos to make the aqua darker than it is. For an e-ring, I would want a fine blue aqua. It will cost you more though. I was lucky and able to get a finely cut medium blue aqua of a carat in size for $30 on ebay. It's harder and harder to come by nice aqua though, and the prices for fine aqua are getting so high. Be careful of ebay as well, like I said, I was lucky.

Aqua is my birthstone, and I have several. The problem with very light aqua is that they tend to get hazy with the slightest bit of dirt, or even after washing your hands. They lose their sparkle and life quite easily IMHO. Darker blue ones are really beautiful, especially if you can find the rare blue color without a lot of grey in it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 11:57:46 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Be really careful where you buy aquas. I find that so many online sellers use enhanced photos to make the aqua darker than it is. For an e-ring, I would want a fine blue aqua. It will cost you more though. I was lucky and able to get a finely cut medium blue aqua of a carat in size for $30 on ebay. It''s harder and harder to come by nice aqua though, and the prices for fine aqua are getting so high. Be careful of ebay as well, like I said, I was lucky.

Aqua is my birthstone, and I have several. The problem with very light aqua is that they tend to get hazy with the slightest bit of dirt, or even after washing your hands. They lose their sparkle and life quite easily IMHO. Darker blue ones are really beautiful, especially if you can find the rare blue color without a lot of grey in it.
I couldn''t agree more. I have bought, returned and sold more aquas than any other gemstone. Most of them are disappointing and it is hard to find ones with good color. I would email some of the vendors mentioned and favored by gemstone lovers / collectors on Pricescope and tell them what you are looking for.

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
Wow, I guess that ring doesn''t look quite as pretty now.
7.gif
Maybe aquamarine isn''t the best way to go. I keep seeing posts about how soft it is, and how it might not make a great e-ring. Maybe a light-colored sapphire? Hmm. I think I''ve still got a lot of research to go...but at least I have a starting point.

Thanks for the info you guys!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At any gemshow, an aqua like that could be picked up for $15 or less. It''s light, grey, and poorly cut. I can''t comment on the ring, since I don''t get involved with that end, but listen to the advice here, as these PS''s are experts at getting stones sets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a light colored sapphire would make a much better engagement ring.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I would avoid aqua as an e-ring stone - although I know some people have them and have been fine.

My cousin has one and in the 10 years since she was given it, she has had one complete recut and two repolishes and now only wears it on special occasions.

You''d be better off looking for a paler blue sapphire IMHO.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree a sapphire will hold up much better in an ering than an Aqua. Have fun searching for what you want.

ShalaJ

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all the great advice I''ve been getting. I''m a total noob at this, so any input is helpful.

I''ve been checking out the vendors on the list that someone posted and saw a lot of great possibilities. Also I heard Greenlake Jewelers does some great custom work. Convenient, as I live in the Seattle area
36.gif

Oh and Gene (PrecisionGem) I checked out your website and I LOVE your star cut gems! They are absolutely stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results