shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this any good...newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dee1

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I''m total newbie and don''t really know anything about diamonds
33.gif
....except for what I have read about on the website. We went looking at the mall...just to start and quickly realized that we needed to find out more about diamonds. I found this on Blue Nile. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Price: $4,774

Bank wire price: $4,703

Carat weight: 0.74

Cut: Ideal

Color: F

Clarity: IF

Depth %: 61.6%

Table %: 54%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Medium to thick

Culet: Pointed

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.80 x 5.93 x 3.59 mm

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Hi and welcome!

I''m no expert, so I won''t comment on the overall quality of the diamond (although from my limited knowledge it looks good).

However, one question to consider- are you dead set on getting IF for clarity (IF is the absolute highest clarity grade)? If not, its kind of overkill and you can save a lot of money (or spend the same amount and get a larger stone) if you go lower in clarity. If you don''t want to see any inclusions when you look at the stone with the naked eye (which should be your goal), you can safely go down to a VS2 or even an SI1 if it is "eye-clean" (some SI1 inclusions are minor and not noticable, while others are noticable- you just have to shop around). Basically, a VS2 or a good SI1 will look pretty much the same as an IF under normal viewing conditions, so only "splurge" on the IF if it''s something you really want.

Good luck in your diamond search. It''s not easy, but if you take the time to learn I''m sure you''ll end up with a beautiful stone!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have crown and pavillion angles? Also, IF clarity is totally unnecessary unless you want a high clarity diamond for religious purity reasons or something. An eye-clean SI will look visually the same as an IF stone. If you don''t want a diamond for purity purposes you could save money or go larger with lower clarity, color too if you wanted too.

dee1

Rough_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00416147#grading_report

Hmmm........are those angles contained in the grading report. If not then I don''t know. I don''t have any religious reasons. Sadly I just don''t wear a lot of jewelry and don''t particularly want a bigger diamond, just a really nice one. Does that make sense? So I could down on the clarity and color and pay less...but still have something that will look pleasing? Thanks for the input.
d

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something nice, in a "I know I''m paying for stuff I can''t see and that makes me feel good" but don''t want to feel like you''re needlessly wasting money on stuff you . . . can''t see, then I''d go with F VS2.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 12:53:14 AM
Author:dee1
Hello everyone. I''m total newbie and don''t really know anything about diamonds
33.gif
....except for what I have read about on the website. We went looking at the mall...just to start and quickly realized that we needed to find out more about diamonds. I found this on Blue Nile. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Price: $4,774

Bank wire price: $4,703

Carat weight: 0.74

Cut: Ideal

Color: F

Clarity: IF

Depth %: 61.6%

Table %: 54%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Medium to thick

Culet: Pointed

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.80 x 5.93 x 3.59 mm

Welcome to PS
35.gif

I would check the measurements highlighted above, as if these are correct, this diamond is out of round which isn''t the sign of a great cut.

dee1

Rough_Rock
on that agsl certificate the measurement is listed as 5.80 - 5.93 X 3.59
should I be concerned? it''s so tricky because the cut on the certificate says ideal
33.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 11:23:41 AM
Author: dee1

should I be concerned? it's so tricky because the cut on the certificate says ideal
33.gif
it looks like you found a great diamond dee
36.gif
nothing to be concerened about at all. we are just used to seeing the numbers a little closer around here so the first thought might be that it is out of round since the difference is not so much what we are used to. it's perfectly fine though, really.
2.gif
enjoy your diamond!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2006 11:35:19 AM
Author: belle

Date: 12/19/2006 11:23:41 AM
Author: dee1

should I be concerned? it''s so tricky because the cut on the certificate says ideal
33.gif
it looks like you found a great diamond dee
36.gif
nothing to be concerened about at all. we are just used to seeing the numbers a little closer around here so the first thought might be that it is out of round since the difference is not so much what we are used to. it''s perfectly fine though, really.
2.gif
enjoy your diamond!
Sorry Dee- I didn''t realize you had already bought the diamond, Belle explained things beautifully - do enjoy your diamond and some pictures too would be great when you can
35.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Sounds wonderful!

My father bought my mother a D IF .5 carat diamond when he asked her to marry him and he said " A perfect diamond for a perfect love!" I always thought that was soo romantic!

WAY TO GO DEE1
35.gif
36.gif

dee1

Rough_Rock
It hasn''t been delivered and it''s still possible to cancel. I thought if I found out that it wasn''t a good choice before it comes I would keep looking. Thanks for all the replies. My boyfriend left the choosing up to me. I think so I can''t complain to him that he didn''t pick a nice ring. Can anyone recommend someone in the Southern California area that does appraisals?
Thanks,
dee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results