shape
carat
color
clarity

Is This An Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new poster posted this photograph in Jewelry Pieces and asked if it was an emerald. He was advised to post it here and to pose the question here. I checked and saw that he had not done so. His only other posting was in Pearls, where he had posed the same question that he had in Jewelry Pieces about this green stone. So I thought that I would post it for him here and put a link to this thread at the bottom of the thread in Jewelry Pieces in case he ever returns to that thread. In the meantime, I would be interested in whether it''s an emerald. I saw a lot of emeralds in Colombia. I don''t know if this is emerald!

AGBF
34.gif

IsThisAnEmerald.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Though you can''t tell for sure, I suspect this is not an emerald and, in fact, may just be a hunk of glass. Why?

1. It looks HUGE (fist sized) and very clean. If it was an emerald, it would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
2. If someone were to possess an emerald rough this large, they would almost certainly have some sort of providence and know what they had. You don''t usually stumble on something like this.

I may be completely off base here but that is my 2¢ worth...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how large it is (did he give the size?), but it does look like glass because of the way the planes look where something could have been broken off from it. This reminds me a great deal of glass. However, they should take it to a gemologist just to get an RI on it. An RI would easily distinguish it from emerald.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
When I worked at a pet shop we sold big chunks of glass that looked just like this for $20-60. People bought them to put in their aquariums - was it found under water?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/24/2010 12:07:25 AM
Author: HopeDream

When I worked at a pet shop we sold big chunks of glass that looked just like this for $20-60. People bought them to put in their aquariums - was it found under water?
I have absolutely no knowledge about this photograph and the original poster seems to have disappeared. Sorry!

AGBF
34.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t tell with a definite answer but my gut feel is it isn’t for several reasons:
1. It looks huge and emeralds don’t come that clean in those sizes.
2. Crystal structure doesn’t look right (emeralds usually come in pencil thin like shapes)
3. The way it looks (light bouncing off) makes me think it is glass

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/25/2010 8:29:19 AM
Author: Chrono
I can’t tell with a definite answer but my gut feel is it isn’t for several reasons:
1. It looks huge and emeralds don’t come that clean in those sizes.
2. Crystal structure doesn’t look right (emeralds usually come in pencil thin like shapes)
3. The way it looks (light bouncing off) makes me think it is glass
Ditto. It has a sheen to it that emerald rough I have seen never had. Ditto with the planes as well...looks like a hunk of glass.
And if someone had mined this, there would be a big stir about it and it wouldnt be sold on the street market or commercial market.

dzop

Shiny_Rock
I don''t see any cleavage, and beryl has cleavage, albeit imperfect. No cleavage + concoidal fracture means it''s most likely glass, though I guess it could be man-made quartz.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results