carat
color
clarity

Is this an emerald or something else?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,
A few months ago when browsing in a secondhand jewellers window I spotted this because of its colour and fell in love with it, tried it on and...it fitted!
It was sold as a 0.75ct (5.5cms X 5.5cms depth unknown) Emerald with a total of 0.10ct diamonds, colour unknown but they do appear white in the 18ct gold setting.
I love it and the Emerald colour is SO vibrant and amazing that I wonder if it is an emerald, although looking in quality jewellers shop windows it certainly looks like it could be. What do you think, could it be something else and if it was...what could it be? Thanks

_733.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but no one can ID it by pictures alone. It could be a beryl or tourmaline or garnet or YAG or glass or something else. It looks pretty though!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono, that makes sense.
It is a very pretty ring and the colour is great, so I'll just enjoy it.
Thanks.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on your photo, if I had to guess, I'd say that was an Emerald. However, as Chrono has already said there's no way to be sure. It does look very typical of the Emerald ring you see on shopping channels (The Jewellery Channel in the UK in case you want to look on their website).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it is an emerald, it could be a doublet, or triplet, so have it checked out.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty and if the stone is cut a little deep the size sounds about right for that carat weight in emerald. Nice find!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi LD, thanks for the info. With you mentioning a Shopping Channel I decided to look at the hallmarks in detail. However it gets more confusing as the ring has two different sets of hallmarks!
On one side of the internal shank it says CEI 18K (which is why I thought it was 18ct) and these marks look much older than the other set. Then further along on the internal surface of shank it says BCJ, crown 585, leopard and 'P'. So if you take the more detailed hallmarks I believe it could be a 14ct yellow gold ring (1975-1989), being hallmarked in London in 1989. What I don't understand is why it has two different sets of hallmarks! Could it be an older ring, altered and re hallmarked differently?

Also do you know when Jewellery Channels on TV or online started, just wondering if it's pre or post 1989?

Hi TL, thank you, I might do it just out of curiosity, though as it wasn't an expensive ring I don't want to spend much.

Hi part gypsy, thank you, that's good to know. Im really pleased I saw it, it just twinkled at me from the back of the jewellers window, I love the colour.

Hi Jajabis, thank you, that could come in very handy now.

Thanks everyone.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It's very pretty! Great find! :wavey:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rockinruby.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The hallmark CEI is for Colombian Emeralds International. I know because because we bought my mother an emerald ring years ago when we were on vacation. All their jewelry has that stamp. They are a chain of stores that cater to tourists visiting the Caribbean. I don't know what the other hallmark is. It's very possible the person who previously owned the ring had it re-shanked and this is the hallmark of the jeweller who did the work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results