shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an asscher or an emerald cut?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm considering buying this step cut diamond with a ratio of 1.11. It has more of the chunky flashes of light I have seen in asscher cuts, and I think it has the "windmill" effect from the broad corner facets. On the GIA cert its just called emerald cut but I am wondering if it would be considered to be an elongated asscher cut?

It has table = 67% and depth = 65.1% so according to what I have read here on PS it shouldnt have a lot of fire. But in the video I have been sent it looks to have plenty of colored light return throughout the diamond. So I am wondering whether that is because it has been cut with more of an asscherish look derived from the large corner facets on the pavillion, or could it be that it has a decent crown angle in spite of the larger table?

_35516.jpg

_35517.jpg

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I think GIA lists asschers as emeralds perhaps because they are really just a square emerald cut.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Ratio of over 1.05 makes it am emerald but that's not the only reason I'd call it an emerald. Emeralds have a keel, asschers the windmills meet at a single point at the culet. So even though it's squat and the keel is small, I'd call it an emerald. It looks absolutely gorgeous to me. I have a similar stone at 1:12, although my windmills meet like an asscher. I'm posting a pic to show the difference.

_35520.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a similar stone at 1:12, although my windmills meet like an asscher. I'm posting a pic to show the difference.[/quote]

Kelpie that is beautiful! Does your stone show lots of fire? It looks like it has a smaller table than mine and I have read that smaller tables can result in lots of fire. I can see how the windmills in your stone meet in the middle (apart from a culet) and mine dont quite meet. But there is some similarity to the look with the larger windmills. You have great taste! Did it take you a long time to find that stone?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliment! It really shows tons of fire. The depth is 69.1% and the table is 54%. My own preference is for a small table and high crown but I have another emerald that is shallower with a wider table, and it's beautiful too and still shows color flashes, especially blue. Both my emeralds are just ones I stumbled upon by chance on ebay for far under retail. I actually have one in my watch list now that is very similar to my antique asschery emerald but I am afraid to post and have someone snatch it up. You are welcome to message me on loupetroop and I'll send you the link.

**no links to personal information**

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondhoarder|1449588901|3958975 said:
I'm considering buying this step cut diamond with a ratio of 1.11. It has more of the chunky flashes of light I have seen in asscher cuts, and I think it has the "windmill" effect from the broad corner facets. On the GIA cert its just called emerald cut but I am wondering if it would be considered to be an elongated asscher cut?

It has table = 67% and depth = 65.1% so according to what I have read here on PS it shouldnt have a lot of fire. But in the video I have been sent it looks to have plenty of colored light return throughout the diamond. So I am wondering whether that is because it has been cut with more of an asscherish look derived from the large corner facets on the pavillion, or could it be that it has a decent crown angle in spite of the larger table?

Hi - that is a very square emerald cut - but not quite an asscher - it's a bit of a unique shape...which is why I love fancy shapes!...personal aesthetic preference is what really matters when choosing.
GIA calls asschers 'square emerald' because 'asscher' technically is a brand...even though it is now a commonly used term to describe a square emerald shape with the pavilion coming to a point rather than a keel. There are standard asscher cuts and royal asscher cuts, both created by the Royal Asscher Company. The standard 58 facet asscher isn't patented, and is the one you are likely to see in the market. You may also see asschers called other names like 'modified square step cut' / 'square step cut' / etc...the terms are all interchangeable nowadays.
Within the industry, emerald cuts with measurements similar to this would likely be heavily discounted - so...hypothetically speaking since i can't comment on individual stones...anyone purchasing a diamond with similar measurements should get it for a good price.
Hope this helps.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has a keel. Emerald

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm new to ECs and they're my new obsession. Gypsy and/or Kelpie, do you mind doing a 101 on what on earth a keel or kite is? I'm so confused.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The facets at the base of the pavilion-- the culet-- do not come to a point (look at the culet on the stone Kelpie posted). They come to a line, like the keel of a boat. If the stone has a keel it is an EC, if it comes to a point it is an asscher.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love PS. I just clicked on the thread for the eye candy and wound up learning something!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1449631121|3959211 said:
Thanks for the compliment! It really shows tons of fire. The depth is 69.1% and the table is 54%. My own preference is for a small table and high crown but I have another emerald that is shallower with a wider table, and it's beautiful too and still shows color flashes, especially blue. Both my emeralds are just ones I stumbled upon by chance on ebay for far under retail. I actually have one in my watch list now that is very similar to my antique asschery emerald but I am afraid to post and have someone snatch it up. You are welcome to message me on loupetroop and I'll send you the link.

**no links to personal information**

Hey Kelpie, I would looooove to see that antique asschery emerald you found but I can't figure out how to find you on LT to message you. Could you post a link to one of your LT listings or how can I find you? thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results