shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an ALEXANDRITE?

Paperheartz

Rough_Rock
Hello! I found this ring at a pawn shop. It was next to a synthetic Alexandrite ring, but it was listed as a “Mystic Topaz”. It definitely wasn’t as clean or vibrant as the synthetic and actually has more of a “muddy” grayish / green / blue / purple color in daylight. It definitely changes green in sunlight / fluorescent light, but it is super hard to get the right picture. I was able to capture a little bit of the color hue if I turned the ring at an angle and took the picture, otherwise the picture ends up like picture #1. The purple is easier to take a picture of. The stone it’s self is about 1ct. I bought it because I know it is not a mystic topaz and it was really cheap. Even if it isn’t a real Alexandrite, the ring is worth its weight in gold. There is a small dot like inclusion that I can see without a loupe and the stone has a very very faint red fluorescence under a uv flashlight. I don’t have any professional equipment, I just used what I had on hand. Any input would be appreciated:) 2F1EEA1D-99CD-40B4-9266-ACDD79252AD5.jpeg C9A42DC1-9EA0-45A4-ADB2-9F6271391649.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chances of finding a natural Alexandrite in a Trillin cut in a pawnshop are next to none.
not only are natural Alexandrites rare, they are rarely
cut in any other shape than a mixed oval cut, this cut is to preserve as much carat weight from the rough as possible.
while pawnshops generally don’t have a resident gemologist they always make use of a Presidium gem tester, mostly to sort out CZ from diamonds, blue topaz from aquamarine and any coloured/ treated quartz or glass gems from anything else.
mystic topaz is either quartz or topaz with a chemical vapour deposition to create the colours on the surface, very pretty.
Alexandrite will not test as either quartz or topaz on a Presidium, it is in the low spinel range, above quartz and below Topaz.
Alexandrite also glows a strong orange red under UV.
so I don’t think your gem is Alexandrite, i think it is a “mystic topaz”
but if you want clarification or proof, you could send it to a lab, like AGL and get a gem brief done. They will assess while set. I think it’s about $75 plus shipping.

Paperheartz

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply:) I took it to a gemologist to get a quick love over and I guess I lucked out..it actually is a real Alexandrite! I just knew something was off about the mystic topaz and the fake alexandrite looked too good to be real. The pictures don't show off the beautiful colors of this stone. I also lucked out once before too. I found what I thought was a dirty white sapphire pendant at a Salvation Army Thrift store. It turned out to be beautiful white diamond pendant. I paid $60.00 for it and sold it for $500.00

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would send it to a lab for a gem brief just to be sure. It could be synthetic.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Can we see the inside and sides of the ring? Is there a hallmark? What is the carat of gold?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would send it to a lab for a gem brief just to be sure. It could be synthetic.

I totally agree with TL on this. I once bought an Alex that looked just how it should and it even had inclusions. However, as I've seen tons of them there was something about this one that was a bit "off". I couldn't put my finger on it. I took it to an appraiser who said she thought it was real but I just couldn't shake the feeling off. I sent it to a lab and sure enough it was a synthetic Alex. It was amazingly good. So, if I were you, I'd definitely get it chemically analysed.

I'd also like to see the makers mark etc as that could help

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results