shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this amber fake? Is it even possible for real amber to look like it?

GemstoneLiker

Rough_Rock
It looks like it but :
1 - both plastic and other ambers from same bag that this came out floated in salted water. So I don't consider salted water a test. Yes, I had the right solution.
2 - when I did hot needle test with others, it didn't smell like pine, but when I did the same to something plastic, it definitely wasn't plastic smell so maybe it is resin, but very heavy.
3 - when I rubbed (attached photo amber) by my palm, it did emit the same ,,heavy resin" smell. Whole bag smells like it, without rubbing or heating. Bought for, as right now, cheap, but 2 years ago I think I bought it (1.250kg + 50g of ~1-3g) for a normal price.
Is it possible that I bought a bag with real and fake ambers? I hope not cause I polished some of them (but it took many hours), and now I discovered this (I thought that they were real due to the tests above, but rn I'm not sure).
IMG_20240330_190512.jpg IMG_20240330_191111.jpg

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I cannot determine authenticity from the pictures, but even if it is real, it is not worth much. Valuable amber is highly transparent with rich color or with rare inclusions, such as large prehistoric animals.

Search up local labs in your area. Some places do basic testing and identification for under $50.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber is fossilised tree resin and there is reconstituted amber, simulated amber and a younger type of tree resin called Copal.
There are a few tests for Amber, the easiest being the salt water test.
In two cups of hot water dissolve one cup of salt. When all the salt has dissolved and cooled enough, drop your pieces in the solution. Natural Amber will float. Unfortunately so will plastic and reconstituted Amber.
If you have a UV light, natural amber will fluoresce blue / green.
The Amber that is most valuable is transparent, even better if there are fossilised plant or animal remains.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20240330_190512.jpg

This is why when you are making amber at home you need to use a non-stick pan

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results