shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this actually Cartier Trinity?

Susangria

Rough_Rock
So I bought this ring in 1984 from a little gold shop/stall on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. At the time I was living in France and attending university, so my spending money was limited. I fell in love with the Cartier Trinity ring but it was out of my budget. When I saw this in a collection of antique and secondhand and estate rings, I couldn't pass it up at under $100 US. I didn't believe it was authentic Cartier at the time because of the unfamiliar hallmarks on the outside of the bands, but I wore and loved it for a few years before putting it away.

I recently found it and took a closer look at the hallmarks and maker's mark. Each band bears the eagle head that signifies 18kt gold of french origin. The rose gold band also has a diamond mark with a heart inside, and perhaps a letter on either side of the heart. I found one resource online that shows only a hand-drawn example of something similar that is antique Cartier. Could this ring actually be Cartier - but really really old? There are no markings - size or serial number - inside the bands.

B2BFB669-0D42-4B00-91F3-4E196BD21184_1_102_o.jpeg 1DD31ED5-C7E1-4272-AAD8-BB57D94F2B4F_1_201_a.jpeg EBCA8960-349F-4F34-B211-9F63AAC7B17B_1_102_o.jpeg B77ECE46-2254-4DB8-A52D-A3C8DEAA723F_1_201_a.jpeg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe cartier rings would have their name all over one of the rings with a serial number on the inside. And the ring size.

The eagle is a French hallmark designating a minimum fineness of 750 or 18K gold. I can’t find the heart in a diamond, but Cartier’s stamp is a C in a diamond shape.

for a hundred dollars, three connected 18K rings is an awesome situation. Cartier, or not!

Susangria

Rough_Rock
I believe cartier rings would have their name all over one of the rings with a serial number on the inside. And the ring size.

The eagle is a French hallmark designating a minimum fineness of 750 or 18K gold. I can’t find the heart in a diamond, but Cartier’s stamp is a C in a diamond shape.

for a hundred dollars, three connected 18K rings is an awesome situation. Cartier, or not!

The trinity rings were first made in 1924. I doubt they were stamping sizes and serial numbers into them then. They were, however, required to hallmark their items for content and place their maker's mark on them. This website shows a mark (hand drawn) very similar to the one of the ring. This is what made me so curious.

FD508A4D-33AB-4805-8C0E-5C93239FB4C9.png

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
The trinity rings were first made in 1924. I doubt they were stamping sizes and serial numbers into them then. They were, however, required to hallmark their items for content and place their maker's mark on them. This website shows a mark (hand drawn) very similar to the one of the ring. This is what made me so curious.

FD508A4D-33AB-4805-8C0E-5C93239FB4C9.png

That's very interesting! The hand drawn mark on Lang's website does look very much like the mark on yours. Can you see in real life, perhaps with the aid of a loupe or magnifier, that there are "L" and "C" (I suppose standing for Louis-François Cartier) on yours? I wish Lang's website gave when this particular lozenge mark was used. Or...I was just reviewing French hallmarks the other day and I'll have a look through my references to see if they give any clue.

I guess the important question would be when Cartier started stamping serial numbers. And since you bought it from an antique shop, it could have been way older than 1985. Gah I wish I knew more about these luxury brands!

Susangria

Rough_Rock
That's very interesting! The hand drawn mark on Lang's website does look very much like the mark on yours. Can you see in real life, perhaps with the aid of a loupe or magnifier, that there are "L" and "C" (I suppose standing for Louis-François Cartier) on yours? I wish Lang's website gave when this particular lozenge mark was used. Or...I was just reviewing French hallmarks the other day and I'll have a look through my references to see if they give any clue.

I guess the important question would be when Cartier started stamping serial numbers. And since you bought it from an antique shop, it could have been way older than 1985. Gah I wish I knew more about these luxury brands!

I need a more powerful magnifying glass, loupe or microscope. I took the pictures above with my cell phone and I'm too clumsy to make them any clearer. It might be time to see what Amazon has!

OEClover

Rough_Rock
If it helps, I have a 1927 Cartier 18k plain gold band that has the full Cartier name inside and the 18k mark but no serial number or size number.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Lang Antiques has an extensive information on trademarks/makers’ mark. See this article on Cartier and check the various versions of marks at the bottom. https://www.langantiques.com/university/cartier/

@Fabfashion I believe OP had gotten her info from the Lang Antiques page, and the marking on her ring (very possibly) matches one on Lang's list. It's very curious! Hopefully she can get a clearer reading/photo of the mark.

I need a more powerful magnifying glass, loupe or microscope. I took the pictures above with my cell phone and I'm too clumsy to make them any clearer. It might be time to see what Amazon has!

Definitely do get a loupe. I get my basic 10x loupe on eBay for a few pounds and it's been a great help. There are some fancier types, but any basic loupe is great for deciphering these finicky little markings. =)2

robertgsoliz

Rough_Rock
Trade
So I bought this ring in 1984 from a little gold shop/stall on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence. At the time I was living in France and attending university, so my spending money was limited. I fell in love with the Cartier Trinity ring but it was out of my budget. When I saw this in a collection of antique and secondhand and estate rings, I couldn't pass it up at under $100 US. I didn't believe it was authentic Cartier at the time because of the unfamiliar hallmarks on the outside of the bands, but I wore and loved it for a few years before putting it away.

I recently found it and took a closer look at the hallmarks and maker's mark. Each band bears the eagle head that signifies 18kt gold of french origin. The rose gold band also has a diamond mark with a heart inside, and perhaps a letter on either side of the heart. I found one resource online that shows only a hand-drawn example of something similar that is antique Cartier. Could this ring actually be Cartier - but really really old? There are no markings - size or serial number - inside the bands.

B2BFB669-0D42-4B00-91F3-4E196BD21184_1_102_o.jpeg 1DD31ED5-C7E1-4272-AAD8-BB57D94F2B4F_1_201_a.jpeg EBCA8960-349F-4F34-B211-9F63AAC7B17B_1_102_o.jpeg B77ECE46-2254-4DB8-A52D-A3C8DEAA723F_1_201_a.jpeg

Springing from the imagination of Louis Cartier in 1924, this unique, movable ring was made of three interlaced bands of yellow gold, white gold, and pink gold. A symbol of style and elegance, this signature ring won the hearts of both women and men, counting Gary Cooper and the famous poet Jean Cocteau among its fans. These three intertwined bands represent cherished moments, feats or relationships that will be remembered forever. A meaningful piece that is open to your own interpretation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results