shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a reasonable price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newcomer

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am currently looking at a pair of stones for earrings -
* VS1, 0.78-0.80ct each, AGS Ideal cut, Ideal/Excellent Polish&Symmetry

Do not have the specific #''s like Table and Depth but please assume that the stones will fall into the triple-ideal AGS category.

I am hoping to get both the stones at approx $6500 including mounting, appraisal, laser inscribe, certs etc..

Its my first attempt into buying diamonds and would like any opinions if the price is reasonable. Please make the assumption that the Table and Depth will fall in the Ideal range and the Polish/Symmetry "might" fall into the Premium level. Finally, the fluorescence will be None.

Thank you for any helpful feedback.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What color are the stones? Also, VS1 is overkill on e.r. Is that a preference?

Without knowing the color, I can not comment. But, you could look on Pricescope & see what .60 stones are trading for. $6500 sound like a lot.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
What color are the stones? Also, VS1 is overkill on e.r. Is that a preference?

Without knowing the color, I can not comment. But, you could look on Pricescope & see what .60 stones are trading for. $6500 sound like a lot.

newcomer

Rough_Rock
Sorry I did not mention it in the initial post.

The color is F.

Thanks again for any insights. Again, looking at $6500 for the pair.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I have to agree with fire&ice. A diference in just a few color grades can mean a difference of several hundred dollars for each stone. Also, while clarity is dependent on your comfort level, You could drop a grade or two in clarity and get a better value with no difference at all in visual appearance.

As far as daimond earings, I haven't bought any for my fiancee' yet, so I don't know how much it costs for the mountings. As far as the stones goes, depending on the color and assuming a couple hundred dollars for the mountings, $6500 for everything could be reasonable.

As far as the color and clarity, for earings even if someone does ask for a really close look, they're still only going to see the top of the diamonds so the important thing is that the stone is "eye-clean" (no visible inclusions to the naked eye) and that the stone "faces up" white (diamond's color is graded by looking at the bottomn of the stone, and it is much harded to see any color looking at the top of the stone).

Keeping all this in mind, in an ideal cut stone:

--MOST H color stones, SOME I color stones, and even a few J color stones face up very white

--Almost ALL VS2 clarity stones, a good number of SI1 clarity stones, and some SI2 clarity stones are eye-clean in the size stone you're looking at.

This is assuming an ideal cut round stone, since the excellent light return makes the stone appear whiter "face up" and makes it harder to see inclusions.

One last thing to think about: there's a couple hundred dollar per carat price increase when you go over .75 carats, so .7 - .74 carats might be a better value, and if it's ideal cut, it'l probably have the diameter of a lot of poorly cut 1 carat mall stones.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your earings.
1.gif

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
OOPS! Sorry, I didn't notice that you had posted about the color when I submitted my post. If you're set on F VS1, there's a .7 F VS1 on the cut quality search from NiceIce that costs $3285. Running just a regular pricescope search for AGS0 stones, the price for a .78-.80 F VS1 is between $3000 and $3700, but this search only lists table and depth percentages, and I don't think gurantess an AGS0 stone. At a minimum it's nice to have crown and pavilion angles to run on the HCA and then for the vendor to provide idealscope images to help determine light return and heart and arrows pictures to help determine internal optical symmetry.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
the price you of 6500.00 total for the pair should be just fine for the color and clarity you are looking for,
Most stones that are under a carat ,have an inscription on the girdle if the stone has a G.I.A Dossier.
Those will be a beautiful pair of earrings in white metal.
I think that you are making a wise choice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First diamond buying attempt? He he... Your choice seems very well thought to me
1.gif
While SI2 clarity would be good for a pair of earrings meant to 'impress' (inlcusions would remain invisible and the stones would get bigger for the same budget), I can surely immagine a dozen reasons for getting high quality diamonds in a pair of earrings. Also, it is common to match the stones more 'loosely' when they are meant for earrings and not side stones. I would get a weal-matched pair: who knows where these would end up?

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

That is an excellent price, almost too good
confused.gif

Do the stones have a AGS report or GIA with a sarin ?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The price is really fair for F/VS quality. But I do have to agree, it's overkill for earrings... If you like quality, a good combo is G-H/SI. The inclusions won't be visible with the naked eye at this size point and the look (as well as the savings) would be really impressive.
1.gif

newcomer

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

I hope to get the reports mid-week. GIA for sure. Not sure about the Sarin report. Will plug in the #'s once I get them.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results