shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a reasonable price for platinum setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoraCharm

Rough_Rock
I currently have a 1.38 carat marquise that I would like to reset in a platnium setting. I found this solitare setting that I liked at a B&M store. They are quoting me $2,450 and that sounds high to me. Also, do you think a marquise would look okay with this setting?

Thanks everyone for the input.

BAK Setting.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a marquise would look good in that setting. Is it a name brand designer? That price seems pretty high for a plain platinum mounting.

DoraCharm

Rough_Rock
They said it was a Birks/Mayors "exclusive" setting, whatever that means.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For designer: Perfectly reasonable.

For a non-designer plain platinum casting: Pretty high.

tbedna1

Rough_Rock
Getting away with murder.

The question that really needs to be asked is "How much does the ring weigh in grams?" I say this because the current cost of platinum is approx. $1305/Ounce. There are approx. 28.34grams in an ounce. Take $1305/28.34 grams = $46.05/gram. That ring looks pretty thick so I''ll be generous and say it weighs about 6 grams. 6 grams x $46.05 = $276. Mathematically, depending on the cost of platinum when they made the ring, it cost around $276 in materials. So, you''re telling me that that ring has over $2000 in labor? I don''t think so!!! It doesn''t even have any sidestones that requires extra labor!

I say present this little equation to them and make them explain why there''s over 2k in labor! That ought to make them think!

Personally, I think it''s WAY overpriced. Lovely, but overpriced.

---Someone who hates being taken advantage of!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results