shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a real natural Alexandrite?

vonn

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I recently read a fantastic thread on this board about identifying real Alexandrites, and wanted to get some outside opinions on my own.

My great-great grandmother's family (Chinese) were wealthy jewellery merchants who dealt with Russian traders. Although much of their stock was stolen and/or forced to be sold in the Chinese Civil Wars, this particular gemstone has been passed down for around 7 generations now. My mother got this stone re-set, so the white gold ring/plating is relatively new. I am not sure if the stone was re-cut then too, but I believe it has been by one of my ancestors to be more 'modern'.

Of course, at the time it was believed this was a natural, real, Russian alexandrite, however with modern technology, I've never cared to look further into it (for it's sentimental value is enormous too.) I don't believe this is synthetic given how old this ring is, and at that time China did not partake in foreign trade. However I am interested in some outside opinions as I could be wrong.

I could not for the life of me take a photo of this ring when it was 'green' in daylight. It is a little murky green if I'm in the sun for a few seconds, and then a few minutes later it will be a bright green. When I tried to take a photo of the green stage the camera (iPhone 6S) captured it as purple! Talk about driving me insane :wall: :doh:

In artificial lighting, or even when I'm in a shadow, the stone turns darker and is a mixture of very very deep purple with streaks of red/light purple. If I stay in that lighting for long enough (more in the Shadows than in artificial lighting), it will be a bright red-dish purple.

For some reason, every time I try and photograph it in different lightings it always comes out the same purple, even if it looks different to the naked eye, so I will post the photos in different lighting even though they look the same. Very frustrating.

**edited by moderator, please upload photos to forum directly per our policies**

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that the stone has been recut and you are unable to take good pictures of it, I would have a professional handle the stone in person and evaluate it.

Witos

Rough_Rock
The ural mountains are very far from China, commerce between China and Russia . I doubt it is a Russian Alexandrite. These were discovered in 1830 and the first Sino-Russain trade trade relations, (starting in 1858) only allowed trade between in Ghulja and Tacheng (both modern Yili Kazakh prefecture). In any case, your great grat --- parents had to be Manchurian speaking, not Chinese.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results