shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a pretty mali garnet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there can I know what do you think of this mali garnet? it is describe as medium light greenish yellow? Is it well-cut? It seem great to me:) Just wondering if the color is of a good grade? tks!

b_xma152cg.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d be interested to see a real-life photo, cause it might be quite different than this one.

If this is the color you love there''s no reason why you shouldn''t get it, but if you''d like the most desirable color I''d try to find something that looks closer to peridot or chrysoberyl and that is a bit less olive. The cut looks OK.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Good question chictomato. I too have wondered what colours in a Mali Garnet are considered more desirable. Now I really don''t know but I would have thought that since Malis have a high dispersion, you would avoid stones with a dark colour that might overpower that effect.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks ma re!:) the first one is described as medium light yellowish green with moderately strong saturation. This 2nd one is described as medium yellowish green with vivid saturation. Does it makes it a better choice? closer to the chrysoberyl color that you mentioned? tks!

b_yma126bt.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/1/2009 4:07:06 AM
Author: klewis
Good question chictomato. I too have wondered what colours in a Mali Garnet are considered more desirable. Now I really don''t know but I would have thought that since Malis have a high dispersion, you would avoid stones with a dark colour that might overpower that effect.

Thanks klewis
21.gif
I tried looking up the older post and the website, but there isn''t much info on Mali garnet, hopefully some more can chime in:)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe one of the more colour sensitive PSers can chime in, but both seem to have a brownish or olive cast to them. I am not enamoured of either, actually.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2009 4:34:45 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Maybe one of the more colour sensitive PSers can chime in, but both seem to have a brownish or olive cast to them. I am not enamoured of either, actually.
Ditto. I don''t find either color to be particularly eye-catching. They both look pretty well cut though. As for Mali''s, I''ve always kind of felt like they should be primarily yellow, since demantoid and tsavorite have the greens kind of covered...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
How about one of these:

#1 - it''s a weird shape, but I think color doesen''t come much better than this

#2 - not a great cut, but another example of a nice color

Generally, if you''d like to know what colors are desirable for a given material, go to some vendor websites, choose a variety and sort the stones from the most expensive to the least expensive. It won''t show you only the most desirable colors, as you''ll also see some stones among the most expensive simply due to them being a rare size for the variety, but it''ll give you a general idea about which colors are the most sought after. You can also jump to the last few pages while you''re at it and see which colors are not as desirable (those will mostly be the least expensive). Sorting features can be useful when you''re not sure about what shade of color to get (and you like many
9.gif
).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2009 5:40:37 AM
Author: ma re
How about one of these:

#1 - it''s a weird shape, but I think color doesen''t come much better than this

#2 - not a great cut, but another example of a nice color

Generally, if you''d like to know what colors are desirable for a given material, go to some vendor websites, choose a variety and sort the stones from the most expensive to the least expensive. It won''t show you only the most desirable colors, as you''ll also see some stones among the most expensive simply due to them being a rare size for the variety, but it''ll give you a general idea about which colors are the most sought after. You can also jump to the last few pages while you''re at it and see which colors are not as desirable (those will mostly be the least expensive). Sorting features can be useful when you''re not sure about what shade of color to get (and you like many
9.gif
).
I purchased a Mali from MC.com that had a vendor photo similar to those you posted, and when I got it, it was pretty brown. However, my stone was less expensive per carat than the ones you posted, so I would encourage the OP to ask David Weinberg (the owner of MC.com) if those have any brown in them. With MC.com, in my experience, you get what you pay for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2009 7:58:30 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Ditto.
A third here with the same opinion. Both are "okay" looking but nothing with what the vendor claims to be vivid or moderately strong saturation. Or maybe he's not a good photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results