shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a nice sapphire and is it worth the price?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Link. I think they’d accept $875. Is that a fair price for the stone only? I don’t like the setting and would redo it.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I find the price to be highly suspicious.

Good thing I asked. I have no clue how sapphire pricing works and cannot tell if something is super cheap or the overpriced.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m suspicious it’s a cobalt blue spinel.

Why would they sell a 1.17 heated cornflower blue IF sapphire below wholesale?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

Is that a good deal for a spinel? Cause I like the color, I don’t care if it’s sapphire or spinel.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is very pretty. I’m not an expert so maybe wait for @arkieb1 or @AV_ to reply

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
If anyone has suggestions as to what else I could get in this color I’m all ears too.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If you're serious about the ring, you could try asking for the purchase to be conditioned on an AGL brief - which you would pay for, assuming the stone really is heat-only. Without a report, I agree that this ring and some of the others listed are highly suspicious.

voce

Ideal_Rock

A naturally occurring cobalt spinel is priced around what an unheated top color blue sapphire is these days, perhaps more depending on the size, considering true cobalt spinels are rare.

My suspicion is that it's synthetic. It's suspicious that the listing says retail price is $11k, yet the seller is willing to let it go for under wholesale price. Why would they do something like that?

I would only buy that if they can produce a GIA or AGL certificate to prove that they are selling what they are claiming it is. To go through the process of getting a refund once a lab tests it to be synthetic is honestly not worth the hassle.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@pokerface @voce I’ve asked for a lab report. Thanks for the feedback! It didn’t even dawn on me to inquire about that.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm. Fishier than a mermaid's brassiere. It's probably a synthetic sapphire.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see some colour zoning in the stone, typical of natural sapphire. Might explain the lower price.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
No lab report but they’re willing to send it at my expense.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color, personally, reminds me of fine Tanzanite. I'm not saying that it is, but if you like this color a really top quality Tanzanite might be an option for you. If not the correct color then I need to adjust the color balance on my monitor.

voce

Ideal_Rock
No lab report but they’re willing to send it at my expense.

Only a lab report from GIA, GRS, or AGL would be acceptable. If the lab report says anything other than heat only or H(a), then they need to issue a full refund. I believe they're saying what they're saying to convince you to buy it. But what happens if it tests otherwise (i.e. as synthetic)? You need to get them to lay down those terms very clearly, so they can't squirrel their way out of not giving you a refund if it's synthetic and/or irradiated.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Only a lab report from GIA, GRS, or AGL would be acceptable. If the lab report says anything other than heat only or H(a), then they need to issue a full refund. I believe they're saying what they're saying to convince you to buy it. But what happens if it tests otherwise (i.e. as synthetic)? You need to get them to lay down those terms very clearly, so they can't squirrel their way out of not giving you a refund if it's synthetic and/or irradiated.

That’s my concern! You all made such valid points that I’m leaning toward too good to be true so don’t bother with the headache of having to fight to get my money back.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It would be worth many more times the price of a sapphire if it was a cobalt spinel that colour, the real Luc Yen cobalts not the darker ones from Africa are many many times per carat the price of cornflower sapphires....

I think the price is great for what it is, usually the colour in many listings has been photoshopped so I'd make sure it is FULLY returnable, so that when you get it, you can decide if you are happy with the colour and it matches your expectations based upon that listing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be worth many more times the price of a sapphire if it was a cobalt spinel that colour, the real Luc Yen cobalts not the darker ones from Africa are many many times per carat the price of cornflower sapphires....

I think the price is great for what it is, usually the colour in many listings has been photoshopped so I'd make sure it is FULLY returnable, so that when you get it, you can decide if you are happy with the colour and it matches your expectations based upon that listing.

Either the color is heavily photoshopped or the stone is synthetic. If the stone was actually that color, the price would be exponentially higher. And it's very telling that they don't have a lab report.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had a really good look at the listing they don't accept returns. So the big issue is how different the stone might look in person to their listing, I don't think it is synthetic and I'm not even sure it's heavily photoshopped (look at their other blue sapphire listings) the stone might simply be in lighting that enhances it in a way that makes a camera pick up that colour. My Iphone makes slightly darker blues that colour under shop or professional lighting, it's not something I do intentionally my camera just does that. I disclose that in anything I sell where it occurs. These guys don't, so if there is any variation in the colour and the purchaser doesn't like it, it should be returnable..... nor do they take pics in different lighting situations, which I also always try and do.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
It doesn't sound legit, either it's synthetic or something else, cheaper substitute.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting.
My number 1 concern would be its colour in normal lighting conditions. They are using strong white lighting and that enhances colour. You’ll be wearing it under office lighting or in daylight or normal household lighting and the colour might be quite different.
Especially seeing as it’s the colour you’re loving.
The do have a 14 day return policy, get them to confirm that in an email through eBay to you. That gives you proof if they say “no” after purchase.
The sapphire itself, it could be High Heat, high pressure treated and or Beryllium diffused. Both these require specific testing to identify.
If you can get the ring for $900 odd dollars, the setting if you don’t want it is probably worth $400 or so to resell. So $500 isn’t too much a price to pay if you’re buying the gem for its colour and intend to keep it and love it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No reputable lab report ruling out chemical enhancement, no deal. That stone looks very suspicious.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahahahaha! That's a "classic" eBay link. And every word of that lengthy description is pure garbage. Run! Run away! It will not look anything like that. Or if it does, it's not unadulterated sapphire. All of their $1000 sapphires are vivid royal blue. Even they say it's less than half the price of anything on eBay. (Why would anyone do that?!?)

I bet they also sell silver dollars for a nickel.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m dying to see it in person though, but the thought of having to send one back and actually get money returned is stopping me.

They have got to be dogs in real life, or synthetic, etc.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker ask them for a video of it outside.

I decided against it. Too much risk, IMO given that everyone said too good to be true.

Btw is there a guide to buying sapphire or spinels so I can stop harassing everyone?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I decided against it. Too much risk, IMO given that everyone said too good to be true.

Btw is there a guide to buying sapphire or spinels so I can stop harassing everyone?

Keep harassing because we all learn!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....obviously someone liked it enough to take a bet.

Sometimes, albeit very very rarely you can find a unicorn in certain places but I doubt it. My bet is that it has some invasive treatment. The color shown in the photos was pretty though. :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results