shape
carat
color
clarity

Is This A Modern Repo? Sapphire Diamond Ring

PearlyGates

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have been watching the antique jewelry auctions and I am coming across a lot of pieces I feel are antique repo's. I am sure that the casting bubbles all over this ring and especially the shank make me positive it's a modern repo. All the antique rings I've seen, the shanks are always finished perfectly and have "wear" whereas this ring looks like it was popped out of a mold and old diamonds put in to make it look like a 19c ring. What does everyone here think?

I should note that this wasn't advertised as 19c but I can see how someone may buy this thinking its 19C from face value as the auction house was very vague in its description, which in itself is kind of a deception IMHO.
ring 1.jpg ring 1b.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, looks poorly cast and with terrible diamonds that are either fractured or are set at varying heights. I think there is zero elegance to the design and the YG is not a match. If it were old and decent, it would be more elegant and harmonious and better made of higher-quality elements.

I can't tell what all the hair is on the inside or if the pitting on the shank reflects poor casting or some natural process.

I'm not an expert but dubious of the millions of things like this online with little information.

PearlyGates

Rough_Rock
Yeah, looks poorly cast and with terrible diamonds that are either fractured or are set at varying heights. I think there is zero elegance to the design and the YG is not a match. If it were old and decent, it would be more elegant and harmonious and better made of higher-quality elements.

I can't tell what all the hair is on the inside or if the pitting on the shank reflects poor casting or some natural process.

I'm not an expert but dubious of the millions of things like this online with little information.

I think the diamonds were made to LOOK like "antique" diamonds but no antique diamond I have seen (rose cut, OMC etc) look anything like these. These diamonds look like those diamonds you see in a lot of modern Indian jewelry. It is becoming harder and harder buying anything at auction that isn't some modern Asian knock off, especially if they actually put some effort into making it look genuinely old.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yea the bubbles from casting (and what in the world is that underneath, glue??) point toward repro. Just because small melee may not have been uniformly cut back then doesn’t mean they were all cloudy, included, and lacking sparkle. Some of the prongs don’t even look like they are holding or touching the center blue gem.

PearlyGates

Rough_Rock
Yea the bubbles from casting (and what in the world is that underneath, glue??) point toward repro. Just because small melee may not have been uniformly cut back then doesn’t mean they were all cloudy, included, and lacking sparkle. Some of the prongs don’t even look like they are holding or touching the center blue gem.

Someone was a little trigger happy with the jewelers glue...I think the stones are literally glued in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results