shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a load of bullcrap?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I called a Canadian store in Vancouver just to ask about Asscher diamonds possibly in stock.

They had a few.

Quoted me a stone at 1.03ct VS1 F, they didnt give me the dimensions but will fax the to me. It is a CANADIAN DIAMOND and is HRD??? certfied. I now need to add, I just read about HRD and it sounds very reputable, but until than I had not heard of it.

They quoted me a price of 8,000 USD.

I said to her, that sounds very expensive(for that size etc..), she explained that Canadian diamonds are more expensive.(the most expensive diamond)

I think this is a load of crap but would love to hear different to know someone isnt a flat out liar.

Anyways let me know,
G

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I was quoted $13000 for a 1.00 carat diamond (plus setting) from Birks and yes, it was a Cdn diamond. However, with Birks, you're paying for the name.

If the stone you're getting isn't from Birks, which I assume as I don't think Birks has HRD cert. stones then try this. I got two prices from Spence diamonds for a .78 and .80 for $7000 and $7400 respectively. I happened to mention to them that that seems high IN COMPARISON to US internet prices. Here's a list of defences they had to my remark:
1) At Spence, you get to see the stone
2) You can always come back to Spence to have it cleaned or maintained for free
3) We have a guarantee that if the diamond is lost because of a setting problem, they'll replace it.
4) I believe they had some sort of trade in policy where they'll take the stone back at it's original price when you upgrade.

All in all, other than reason #1, I couldn't justify buying in Canada. Why? The prices are too damn high. It's not crap, it's just the way it is here.

-spencer

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Oops, forgot to mention that those prices are for rounds, not asschers. AND I also forgot to mention that Yes, there is a slight premium for Canadian stones.

-spencer

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
M hit the nail on the head. In order for Canadian jewelry stores to stock diamonds they must shell out some serious buckage in VAT.

I love Canada but I don't have any immediate plans on moving there.
1.gif

Peace,
Rhino

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
That's not the only reason....

Canadian diamonds (those mined and cut here) are pretty rare...
if you take the EKATI brand for example, there are only a few
jewellers allowed to buy and sell those to the public.. those diamonds
are AGS cert and often AGS-0. So these diamonds do contrast a lot
with the usual stuff you'll find everywhere in Canada...and the jewellers know it
so they charge a HUGE premium for these....since there are a lot of
new mines opening in Canada, I won't advocate buying a Canadian now..
Anyway, who''ll know it's canadian besides you?

However, even finding a non branded perfectly cut stone in Canada is
pretty difficult unless you want to go to Birks. I would suggest you to
go in the jeweler's district of you city... the place where all the gemologists,
jewelers, wholesalers, setters and goldsmiths are. Usually, it's in the same
building or 2. There, you'll find vey good quality stones plus you'll be able
to take the stone on memo for appraisal even before having to pay for it
since there's always an independant gemmologist in the building (because
members of the trade need him to certifiy their non cert stones).

Hope this helps,

Trichrome.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I had a tough time finding a 'diamond district' here in Vancouver. In fact, I looked in the yellow pages for gemologists and there were 3. I'm sure there are more that are listed under jewellers and not as a gemologist but I didn't have the time to sift through all the independent jewellers here.

I did find one that I have NO information about other than what's from their website called Davidson Designs. They do sell or at least have access to GIA and AGS certed stones which I'm sure most diamond brokers here have access to as well.

But without straying too far off topic, the list of diamonds on his site has the following similar diamond you listed:
1.02 VS2 F for $12058 cdn.
1.04 SI2 G for $9,291
1.01 VS1 H for $10,589
The above diamonds are listed as Canadian mined diamonds, ags000 H&A...oh, and they're rounds.

I don't know what kind of stones Birks sells BUT if I recall what the salesperson told me, they said they were Sirius branded diamonds...which are laser inscribed with a polar bear, come with a certificate of origin stating they are Canadian (but aren't GIA or AGS certed).

Again, it seems like Canadian diamonds do have a huge premium on them. Are you dead set on getting one?
-spencer

tessa

Shiny_Rock
I thought part of the thing about Canadian diamond is that you pay to know they aren't conflict diamonds.
confused.gif

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wouldnt mind paying 10% or even 15% more to help my home country, as well as know they are conflict free.

But when I get a quote for a 1.03 Asscher for 8000+, and a quote from Birks for a 1ct VS1 F asscher for 18,000!!! I kid you not. The guy mustve thought I was a moron. I will take my chances that my diamond is conflict free, and take my business and money elsewhere.

WalnutCrunch

Rough_Rock
Canadian RB diamonds are really not that rare here. You can find those at many stores in Canada. Some are branded, some aren't; some are AGS ideal-0, some aren't. But you don't have to look very hard to find them; even most mall stores have them for a HUGE premium (even on top of their already HUGE markups). Asschers on the other hand... I never shopped for one but they're definitely harder to find than rounds (especially if you want Canadian).

There's no doubt that there's a premium on Canadian diamonds; but I don't think it's *that* high (I'm talking about round brilliants here again). After a lot of shopping around and negotiating, I bought an unbranded AGS ideal-0 Canadian stone from a local store (Vancouver) that cost me about 10% more than similar stones found at PriceScope vendors at the time (I added a 10% excise tax on these prices to make a fair comparison). And since diamond prices in Canada are generally higher than prices in the States anyway, the 10% premium really isn't that bad when compared to non-Canadian stones available locally.

I agree with Moosejaw's sentiments about helping our country's economy. I have no regrets about going with a Canadian stone. As for the diamond being conflict-free, it really isn't a big issue anymore, as Furthermore mentioned.

As for nobody would know that it's a Cdn stone but you, I think that's no different than, for example, those who pay a premium for IF-VVS stones.

WC

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/21/2003 1:40:19 AM Furthermore wrote:
The Kimberley Process, recently introduced, ensures all stones sold are not conflict diamonds. At any rates, most of the conflicts behind the "conflict diamonds" dried up a long, long time ago. Basically, the idea that Canadian diamonds are non- conflict is just a marketing ploy. So are Australian ones, when you think about it .......

----------------

Not to mention that the Canadians are discovering that this "clean diamond" marketing ploy is attracting smugglers who want to sell their "dirty" diamonds in Canada as Canadian. The RCMP has already had to form a task force to counter the problem.

WalnutCrunch

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/20/2003 4:37:36 PM manhattan01 wrote:

I had a tough time finding a 'diamond district' here in Vancouver. In fact, I looked in the yellow pages for gemologists and there were 3. I'm sure there are more that are listed under jewellers and not as a gemologist but I didn't have the time to sift through all the independent jewellers here.

I did find one that I have NO information about other than what's from their website called Davidson Designs. They do sell or at least have access to GIA and AGS certed stones which I'm sure most diamond brokers here have access to as well.

But without straying too far off topic, the list of diamonds on his site has the following similar diamond you listed:

1.02 VS2 F for $12058 cdn.

1.04 SI2 G for $9,291

1.01 VS1 H for $10,589

The above diamonds are listed as Canadian mined diamonds, ags000 H&A...oh, and they're rounds.

I don't know what kind of stones Birks sells BUT if I recall what the salesperson told me, they said they were Sirius branded diamonds...which are laser inscribed with a polar bear, come with a certificate of origin stating they are Canadian (but aren't GIA or AGS certed).

Again, it seems like Canadian diamonds do have a huge premium on them. Are you dead set on getting one?

-spencer
----------------

Davidson Designs' website prices are only "samples". They haven't updated them since I talked to them 5 months ago. I find that the prices are quite negotiable, and the people there are very nice and helpful (it's really just Ron Davidson and a salesman).

Birks diamonds have a maple leaf and the Birks logo on them. They do not have a polar bear on them, AFAIK. They do come with a cert of origin.

Also, when comparing Canadian and US prices, make sure you add 10% to the US price for the excise tax that you have to pay when it crosses the border. Diamonds sold in Canada (even Canadian diamonds) already have this included in their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results