shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a Jelly opal?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What characteristics do I look for to confirm if this is a natural jelly opal?
IMG_0783.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 9

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0763.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0761.jpeg
    IMG_0761.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without examining it in person, no one can tell if it’s a natural opal. It could even be plastic. Does it have colorplay?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without examining it in person, no one can tell if it’s a natural opal. It could even be plastic. Does it have colorplay?

Very little

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like common opal. We had a half-pound one on the mantel for years (somebody found it hiking) that I can not seem to locate. That same creamsicle color -- but not the blue you see near the top of yours -- with just a hint of iridescence and a glass-like fracture. I thought it was totally beautiful but not the mm-scale color play that we associate with precious opal.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jelly Opal has a very characteristic look to it; it's kind of hard to explain but it's a very transparent body tone and the colour play is not usually overly bright. I used to have an excellent example of it which I wish I still had to provide photos here. @fredflintstone is correct that it's classified as a Crystal Opal.

@nala the stone you've provided photos of there is a white Opal as the body tone is quite opaque and white in it's tone.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jelly Opal has a very characteristic look to it; it's kind of hard to explain but it's a very transparent body tone and the colour play is not usually overly bright. I used to have an excellent example of it which I wish I still had to provide photos here. @fredflintstone is correct that it's classified as a Crystal Opal.

@nala the stone you've provided photos of there is a white Opal as the body tone is quite opaque and white in it's tone.

Thanks so much for clarifying! As an opal expert, what is a fair price for this type of opal? Per carat

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for clarifying! As an opal expert, what is a fair price for this type of opal? Per carat

As a trade member I'm not sure I'm permitted to comment on other vendor's wares as such, but what I believe I can say about it is that any price you would pay would most likely be based on what the cutter's fees would be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results