shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good stone?

ucmikesb

Rough_Rock
I have purchased this stone from since1910 but can still change it in the next few weeks if I really wanted to since the setting takes 4 weeks to get. Price is just over $4400 for the stone. I have been reading about the variations between the GIA and other grading systems and am worried that this "very good" GIA rated cut may not be as good as they are saying. Is the low crown height and angle something I should be concerned about? Am I overpaying? If it is still going to be a beautiful stone and I am not getting ripped off then Ill be happy. Thanks for your help!
Diamond_0.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will be bright & have lots of white light return, will not show coloured light in some lighting types where other stones of different proportions do.

Depends on what you're looking for.

ucmikesb

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a stone that meets the specs that it claims and is worth the price I pay for it. This is for a diamond engagement ring. I did like that the top dimensions are slightly large making it appear bigger, but I wouldn't want to sacrafice much in the way of brilliance. Is it truly a very good cut? Would this in any way be considered a bad diamond?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well - there's only so much we can tell you from the numbers - they don't tell the full story. Do you have any pics, by any chance?

More importantly - can you see it in-person? If so, definitely compare it to other stones of similar size of various proportions, see which "types" most appeal to your eyes in various types of lighting.

A shallow crown/steeper pav stone is, generally speaking, not "bad", or "worse" than a steeper crown/shallower pav type. It's *different* - likely visibly so, to someone who knows the stone well and cares to look. If your eyes like the results of that shallow crown type, then great! If not, then it's not a good fit regardless of price or size. So, at any given moment, would you like to see your diamond emit white or coloured light? In some lights all stones will show only white, in some lights all stones will show only colour, in most lights all stones will show a mix of the two - and some proportion types err one way over the other, and some people can note the differences.

ucmikesb

Rough_Rock
That is some good insight. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures and cannot see it in person. Such are the joys of buying online I suppose. I mostly just wanted to make sure I'm not paying up for a "very good" GIA cut rating when it should only be rated "good" or something like that. My goal is to get the most for my money and end up with a "very good" looking engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend with.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results