shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price- PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ekoehle

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a diamond from a local brick and mortar, is this a good price??

Round Brilliant
1.01 carats
63% Depth
57% Table
Gridle- Medium to thick, faceted
Cullet- None
Polish- Very Good
Symmetry Good
Clarity- SI1
Color- I
Flurescene- None

Price- $4075.00

Please let me know your thoughts.. Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
We need a bit more info:
* Lab report (GIA, EGL, etc)
* Measurements

I checked the internet prices for similar GIA graded diamonds and they are some $500 less. But if you are buying from B&M guy you can expect a bit higher price.

Question: have you seen the stone and compared it to others? Do you like it?

Aside from the price, the stone can be a little deep and look smaller for it's weight.

ekoehle

Rough_Rock
It is a GIA report. Its measurements are: 6.28-6.33X3.97 mm.

I looked at it and liked it. But was wondering if the cut was good enough. What makes a cut good, besides the table and depth. B/c I looked at the % for both of those on this stone and they seem to be in the excellent to very good. I also compared this stone to this one:

Round Brilliant
6.45-6.48x4.05 mm
1.04 carat
62.8% Depth
58% Table
Very thin to slightly thick, faceted
Culet None
Polish Very good
Symmetry Good
Clarity SI1
Color I
Fluorescene None

Price: $4,500

They said the cut is better is that true? Is this worth the difference in price? Or would you go for something a little smaller with like a H color? Or is that not worth it, cause the color difference is so small?

I really appreciate your help!!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ekoehle, I don't want to discourage you especially when you like the stone.

You might want to look though at the following pages of the tutorial on this site:

and other cut related pages.

To make the long story short, table and total depth are not enough to evaluate the cut. You need at least to know crown and pavilion angles (not shown in GIA report). Your jeweler should be able to provide you with this info upon your request.

Another thing with this diamond is that its diameter is a bit small for its weight (well cut 1 carat diamond has 6.45 mm in diameter). However, if combination of crown and pavilion angles is ok, the diamond can still look great though.

Disclaimer: all above remarks cannot substitute professional examination of the stone by accredited appraiser.

:)) [/u][/u][/u][/u]

ekoehle

Rough_Rock
No please be honest. Is the cut on the second one $500 better? I see that it has a diameter of 6.45. What is an cut for a .95 to 1 carat stone. Once again thank you for all the hel!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/19/2001 2:38:49 PM

Is the cut on the second one $500 better? I see that it has a diameter of 6.45.
----------------

I wouldn't say so. First of all it has 1.04 crt weight and, if cut well (close to Tolkowski proportions), should have 6.58mm in dia. Secondly, it has very thin girdle that can result in chipping.

However, again, without crown and pavilion angles it is very difficult to tell more. At certain combination of these angles it still can be a lovely stone just a little less spready.

What is an cut for a .95 to 1 carat stone. Once again thank you for all the hel!

Did you mean diameter? For the same carat weight, diameter can vary because of the proportions.

For close to Tolkowski proportions 0.95 carat stone should have 6.39 mm in dia. 1.0 carat - 6.50mm.

I want to underline once more that there are other than Tolkowski combinations of proportions that give nice diamond.

To make sure that this is your case you have to get crown and pavilion angles (from Sarin or Ogi measurements) or consult professional appraiser/gemologist.

for $20 and be your own expert. :)

Last but not least: do not rush with purchasing. Educate yourself, see more diamonds there are plenty of them out there.[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results