shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price? GOOD VALUE????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HawaiianScotsman

Rough_Rock
$6.678

1.40 RB
Bluenile LD00529298
Diam 7.25 (7.23 –7.2
Total depth % 61.2 4.44mm
Crown angle ‘34.9 (34.7 – 35.0) 0
Crown height %15.6 (15.4 – 15.
Pavil angle 40.8 (40.7 – 41.0)
Pavil depth % 43.1 (43.0 –43.3) 0
Culet % 0.5 vsmall 0
Table size % 54.9 (54.7 – 55.2) 0
Girdle 1.1% (0.7 – 1.6) 0
Thin
Proportion 0

Melissa plugged the numbers into the good ole cut advisor, and the results were:
1.4, Ex Ex Ex Vg.

Any comments...please!

HawaiianScotsman

Rough_Rock
H SI2...how's the price look for this stone?

HawaiianScotsman

Rough_Rock
color is H
clarity is an SI2

The GIA report does show some crystals, feather and a knot. It will be impossible to determine if it's eye clean until we purchase it. We're using the 30 day money back guarantee as our insurance right now.

Thanks
wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds real nice!! About the SI 2... Just check that the inclusions are too visible to the naked eye. It's very likely that once you loupe it, you'll be able to pick the inclusions with your naked eye, but probably it won't be that easy to find them.
1.gif
You're gonna be the judge.
2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The price seems very fair. 1.40's are kinda cool, because you get that 1.50 look while escaping that 23% per carat price hike.

Being a GIA SI2, the chances are very good that it's an eyeclean stone as well. As long as it's a nice eyeclean stone, I'd say all the lights are green.

Your only risk is if the stone is an overgraded I1, which is pretty unlikely with a GIA stone. There's a 30% per carat price drop from a 1.40 H/SI2 to a 1.40 H/I1. As long as you have a savvy appraiser verify the grade, you've got nothing to lose.

Don't tell him the stone is GIA certified. Don't tell him anything. Then you'll get an honest opinion of what he thinks the stone is without being influenced by the GIA report. If he says he thinks it's an SI2, you're good to go. If he thinks it's an SI1, then you know that you've got a "high" SI2 at the least. If he says he thinks it's an I1, then you want to give it some thought. Maybe get a third opinion.

When you bring it in, don't use the folded diamond paper it came in. Stick it in ziplock or something. The paper often has clues on it. Sometimes even the presence of the paper is a clue in itself.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Rich, sounds like you're saying to appraise the appraiser!
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Elmo. Many appraiser's consider GIA the last word on grading, so if they're aware of a certificate, they're likely to agree with it.

There's also the "don't want to look stupid" factor, by grading the stone differently than the GIA graded it. Since many appraisers regard the GIA as the last word, when their grading differs, they feel that THEY have erred. Therefore they try and do everything they can to find out if the stone has been certified, and what the lab grade is, before they will render "their" opinion.

That really defeats the purpose of a consumer hiring an "independent" appraiser to give them his professional, unbiased, uninfluenced opinion of the stone's quality.

When a client hires me, I work for him. Not for the GIA, nor for the vendor selling the stone. I have agreed to use all my skills to give the client an honest opinion of the stone he's looking at. So during that time, I look at the stone as if I were the person considering purchasing the stone, or the person who wants to know everything about a stone they already own.

I tell the client both the positives and negatives about the stone, and if I happen to disagree with the GIA, so be it. That disagreement is extra information to help the client make an informed opinion.

For example, as a former volume diamond buyer, there were plenty of stones I rejected because I didn't agree with the certificate accompanying them. The seller would want a price commensurate with the certificate, and I wasn't willing to pay for it.

As an appraiser, I use that same judgement in advising my client as to how the stone ranks. I know if I were in their shoes, I would appreciate that kind of input.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/4/2003 1:31
6.gif
7 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:
The price seems very fair. 1.40's are kinda cool, because you get that 1.50 look while escaping that 23% per carat price hike.
----------------

Hey Richard, that's great advice. Kinda like the .90s w/o the magic "1 ct" huh? I'm going to remember this incase the word "upgrade" ever enters my DH's mind.
tongue.gif
Maybe another 12 years when we hit the big 25th??

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Rich, I think that's a great way for an appraiser to approach the task - call it like you see it, loud and clear. I also expect that not seeing the reports keeps you on your toes
1.gif
, the autopilot doesn't work too well for that.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I'm going to remember this incase the word "upgrade" ever enters my
DH's mind.
-----------

"DH"= "dear husband"?...."dumb husband"?...."dreamy husband"?...."dildo husband"?

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
HAHAHA...Hey Rich! I have, for the life of me, always wondered what that stands for too! I have no clue though...there are a vew abbreviations that I've never been able to guess. I never ask cause I like to see if I can decipher them.
1.gif

DH...Designated hitter? There was another...had an F in it...FH I think?

-spencer

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
There was another...had an F in it...FH I think?
-----------

I don't even want to guess on that one. Leonid would throw me off the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results