shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price for this blue topaz bracelet?

LeAnn

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new and I don't really know anything about gemstones! I love colored gems (tanzanite is my favorite) and I buy jewelry that I really love and that's sparkly. The most expensive piece of jewelry I own is a tanzanite ring from the Bradford Exchange ($120) and I'm 99% the booklet said it was genuine tanzanite. However, looking at the ring on their website the word "genuine" is never used so I'm not entirely sure what I have lol. It's very pretty though and I love it! I've never bought an expensive piece of jewelry for myself (the ring was a gift) so I'm unsure of what to look for exactly. I've read about what I'm supposed to look for but it is all a little confusing to me since I'm so new at this. So I do have a question. I fell in love with this blue topaz bracelet from Belk and I'm just wondering if it's worth paying $320 for it (it says it was originally $800 but I'm thinking that's WAY too much for blue topaz and sterling silver) I love the different shades of blue and different sizes of the stones and bracelets are my favorite jewelry pieces :) $320 is a huge leap from the $20-$40 Avon bracelets I buy! I do really love the bracelet but I would hate to pay so much for it if it's only worth like $50 or something. Any opinions, advice, and information would be appreciated :)
Here is the info:
Sterling silver bangle bracelet features 7.9 ct. t.w. blue topaz in 3 different shades with a side hinge for an easy but secure fit. This bracelet measures 7-in. in length, 0.48-in. in width, and 2.31-in. across the opening. Almost all gemstones have been treated to enhance their beauty and require special care.
Prong setting
42 Blue Topaz
Clean with a soft bristle brush and warm soapy water. Use silver polishing cloth on silver items.
Imported
Am I allowed to provide a link? (if not, please delete the link)
http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~5400146B3986MUL/Belk+++Co++Sterling+Silver+Blue+Topaz+Bangle+Bracelet.jsp?navPath=Jewelry_And_Watches%2FShop%2FFineJewelry%2FAllFineJewelry&cm_mmc=Display-Dynamic-_-TellAPart-_-P3-_-P4

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Given a jewler would have to individually prong set 42 different stones to make something equivalent; I don't feel $320 is too expensive. (there might be a valid question here about how much it is worthwhile paying for workmanship and labour on a mass produced piece. But I feel like that would be over thinking things a little - the important thing is it's pretty, and it makes you happy.)

Things to keep in mind: the jewler is honest about the topaz being heavily treated (irradiated) and therefore a little brittle. Do you want to wear this everyday? Are you prepared to baby it? As it will not be that durable (i would expect errosion and chips to develop if it was an everyday wear item). Also 42 individually prong set stones means a lot of prongs that can potentially catch on your clothes/scarfs. This will loosen the prongs and may destroy expensive silk scarfs (umm this may be totally irrelevant depending on what type of clothes you like to wear). Also you will spend quite some time cleaning that bracelt with a toothbrush if you want all 42 stones to remain sparkly.

Otherwise I think it is really cute -- it made me smile when I opened your post.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
qubitasaurus|1465976638|4044218 said:
Given a jewler would have to individually prong set 42 different stones to make something equivalent; I don't feel $320 is too expensive. (there might be a valid question here about how much it is worthwhile paying for workmanship and labour on a mass produced piece. But I feel like that would be over thinking things a little - the important thing is it's pretty, and it makes you happy.)

Things to keep in mind: the jewler is honest about the topaz being heavily treated (irradiated) and therefore a little brittle. Do you want to wear this everyday? Are you prepared to baby it? As it will not be that durable (i would expect errosion and chips to develop if it was an everyday wear item). Also 42 individually prong set stones means a lot of prongs that can potentially catch on your clothes/scarfs. This will loosen the prongs and may destroy expensive silk scarfs (umm this may be totally irrelevant depending on what type of clothes you like to wear). Also you will spend quite some time cleaning that bracelt with a toothbrush if you want all 42 stones to remain sparkly.

Otherwise I think it is really cute -- it made me smile when I opened your post.

Great advice here IMO - I agree with everything!! I also think it's a very fun, cute piece. Is it really "worth" $320? Probably not in materials alone, no. But taking into account the things that qubitsaurus mentioned, if you like it and think it would work for you, I would go for it.

LeAnn

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your responses and insight :D I would not wear it every day and I would treasure it and take good care of it :) I like to wear bracelets at work because when I'm sitting at the desk doing paperwork I can look down and see my pretty bracelets and it makes me smile so much :D The bracelet catching on scarves is no problem since I don't wear scarves lol. If I have to do anything at work that I think might damage the bracelet I will take it off so it will be nice and safe :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
LeAnn|1466025990|4044480 said:
Thank you so much for your responses and insight :D I would not wear it every day and I would treasure it and take good care of it :) I like to wear bracelets at work because when I'm sitting at the desk doing paperwork I can look down and see my pretty bracelets and it makes me smile so much :D The bracelet catching on scarves is no problem since I don't wear scarves lol. If I have to do anything at work that I think might damage the bracelet I will take it off so it will be nice and safe :)

Yes!! That's why bracelets and rings are so great. I prefer super long chains on my pendants for the same reason. Otherwise I can't see them and that makes me sad, lol.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LeAnn|1466025990|4044480 said:

In this case I hope it brings you many years of happiness :) .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results