shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good pear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone.. i was thinking about doing a pear halo, and was looking for a pear in the 1.5-2 carat range.. i''d like it to have a large spread (is that something that''s typical with pears?) here are the specs of one i found at goodoldgold..

Shape: Pear
Carat Weight: 1.51ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: 3.47%
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 15692383
In House: Yes
Width: 6.52mm
Length: 9.85mm
Depth: 3.76mm
Table Percentage: 78.75%
Depth Percentage: 57.72%
Crown Depth: 14.24%
Pavilion Depth: 38.92%
Policy: Limited Guarantee

is this a good stone? thanks for your help.

--C

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2008 4:28:05 PM
Author:diamondgirl5k
Hi everyone.. i was thinking about doing a pear halo, and was looking for a pear in the 1.5-2 carat range.. i''d like it to have a large spread (is that something that''s typical with pears?) here are the specs of one i found at goodoldgold..

Shape: Pear
Carat Weight: 1.51ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: 3.47%
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 15692383
In House: Yes
Width: 6.52mm
Length: 9.85mm
Depth: 3.76mm
Table Percentage: 78.75%
Depth Percentage: 57.72%
Crown Depth: 14.24%
Pavilion Depth: 38.92%
Policy: Limited Guarantee

is this a good stone? thanks for your help.

--C
I went to the Good Old Gold website and took at look at that stone because I couldn''t imagine that it had a 78% table. It has a 58% table, if I read the cert right. It''s a little on the shallow side for a ring. The optimum is finding a pear with a 60% depth (60/61/62, more than that is wasted carat weight). It has a good length to width ratio at 1.51. It will appear full at the top. It''s not the best stone nor is it the best deal in my humble opinion.

I also visited Blue Nile, James Allen and Whiteflash. Whiteflash has quite a few. How much did you really want to spend? There''s a big price difference between a carat and a half and two carats. And would you do an H VS2? That will open up more possibilities. We need info from you to help you look.

Shopping for diamonds is one of my favorite things
9.gif

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
thanks gemgirl for the reply.. im not really sure what is good quality with pears.. im open to going down in color, as i have a K color round right now and love it.. the cut really takes away from the color..but i dont want it to look yellow, especially in a halo bc sometimes if the color is low in a halo it really shows.. but what im looking for is something that looks substantial on my finger.. (has a good spread?) do pears typically have that? what type of stone has the largest spread? im willing to go up in price.. probably to 15k or so.. thanks for the help :)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondgirl! I don''t have an answer to your question--sorry for the small threadjack! I have a question for you--what color is your 5+carat?

Your collection is so stunning--I think a pear would get along quite nicely with your other beauties!

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
thank you coatimundi!! my 5ct is a K color, it''s Solasfera, so the cut really hides it.. and when i wear it with my wedding ring which has g & h color diamonds you cant tell at all that it''s a K, its amazing. i got it from David S. in NYC.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I love Ks!! My ering is a K too! Whatup K twinkie?
9.gif

I''m planning on upgrading in a year or so, and I''d do another K in a heartbeat.
My current is a 1.85--I''m hoping to jump to 3+ and be done
31.gif

I''ve already shown hubby your 5+ heh heh -such a beauty on you!

Thanks for answering my question!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Whiteflash-

2.08 ct H SI1 Pear
$13,870.00 Call for Availability

Item Code: 14278750
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Pear
. Carat: 2.08
. Depth %: 60.8
. Table %: 55
. Girdle: STK-TK
. Measurements: 11.35-7.12X4.33
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

This one has a 1.59 ratio, but I like my pears a little longer than 1.50. You would need to see the cert to make a good judgement on the nature of the inclusions, and unfortunately- the only way to really know if you''d like the stone (because it''s a fancy and we don''t have the benefit of all the parameters we use to judge rounds) is to see it for yourself.

Check out the Whiteflash site, they have plenty.

Does anyone know if WF can take magnified photos?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Does Whiteflash have Pears in their inventory or do they need to call them in?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle, right now they have seven stones listed between 2.50 and 3.00, G & H, VS2 and SI 1. Give them a call tomorrow. You may have caught a break! One''s a VG/VG/N/N.

Sorry, I''m not threadjacking. We have a few ladies looking for pears at the same time. Fortunately, in different sizes, so no one''s competing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2008 5:04:10 PM
Author: diamondgirl5k
thanks gemgirl for the reply.. im not really sure what is good quality with pears.. im open to going down in color, as i have a K color round right now and love it.. the cut really takes away from the color..but i dont want it to look yellow, especially in a halo bc sometimes if the color is low in a halo it really shows.. but what im looking for is something that looks substantial on my finger.. (has a good spread?) do pears typically have that? what type of stone has the largest spread? im willing to go up in price.. probably to 15k or so.. thanks for the help :)
I would be cautious with an L in a larger pear, it may look tinted in some lights - fine if you don't mind, but just wanted to point that out. Pears also can have a good spread for the weight, as do marquise and ovals.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 7:58:47 AM
Author: gemgirl
elle, right now they have seven stones listed between 2.50 and 3.00, G & H, VS2 and SI 1. Give them a call tomorrow. You may have caught a break! One''s a VG/VG/N/N.

Sorry, I''m not threadjacking. We have a few ladies looking for pears at the same time. Fortunately, in different sizes, so no one''s competing.
I apologize. After I hit the send button I remembered it was satelite who was looking for a 3 ct. pear for a pendant. Maybe she''ll read this thread.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 7:58:47 AM
Author: gemgirl

Thanks. For some reason I thought they only had rounds and princess cuts in house.

diamondgirl5k

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone for your help.. im gonna check the one from WF out.. i would like it to take up as much finger space as possible,but would rather it be on the thicker side than long and skinny. what does it mean by table slightly thick to thick? is that good? also, isn''t it good to have a little florescence so that it looks whiter?

thanks,

C

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 11:01:10 AM
Author: diamondgirl5k
thanks everyone for your help.. im gonna check the one from WF out.. i would like it to take up as much finger space as possible,but would rather it be on the thicker side than long and skinny. what does it mean by table slightly thick to thick? is that good? also, isn''t it good to have a little florescence so that it looks whiter?

thanks,

C
I think you will probably find that slightly thin to thick means the girdle measurement, not the table. Regarding pear shape, here is a shape selector tool you can use.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/shapePickerNew.asp

Also some do consider some fluorescence desirable, as it is said it can help a diamond face up whiter. Med blue and above is thought to be best for this, if you find a diamond with strong blue, just check it doesn''t make the diamond look cloudy in some lights. But with in house inventory diamonds, this would have been checked anyway, presumably.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results