shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathristin

Rough_Rock
My fiancé and I have finally decided on a stone and setting. The ring came out beautiful. Now we have to go get it appraised. The store where we bought it from has 3 others stores in NJ. (it is a family owned store, not a chain, and they added locations) I know from this message board and numerous books and articles that I have read that the appraisal should be done by an independent appraiser that does not sell jewelry. Reason being, you want to get an unbiased opinion. Another jeweler might try to grade the diamond much lower to get you to return it and buy one of his.
I was thinking of going to one of the other locations of this store and get it appraised there, not telling them of course where I bought it. This way, if they try anything, they are only screwing themselves. If they tell me it is a horrible diamond in hopes of getting me to return it and buy there, I can just tell them, “Well I did buy it here.” I know it is a little sneaky, but they are the cheapest appraisers around and in case the diamond really isn’t up to par, there would be no arguments about the return because the appraisal came from someone in the very same store.
Is this a good idea?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
Is this a good idea?
----------------
In a word: No.

You're better off finding a good appraiser than trying to play games with the process. An accurate, reliable appraisal is very important for insurance purposes. You probably spent several thousand dollars or more on this ring--trying to save $50 on the appraisal is silly when that much is at stake.

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
"there would be no arguments about the return because the appraisal came from someone in the very same store."

There should not be any arguments anyway. Before you purchase, request a 2 week window to get the stone appraised, where you can return the stone for ANY reason.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results