shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good idea and is this a good stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
I like the size and colouring of this stone!
Pink Tourmaline
If I was to buy this and then send it jeff white to be re-cut would this be a good idea.
What I am trying to say is. I like this stone for its large weight and colouring, the cut I am not crazy about, but I am crazy about the way Jeff White cuts.
But the reason I buy this stone and then get it re cut is because I believe Jeff white would charge a lot more if he sourced the stone (or rough) and cut it from scratch due to the carat weight. He might also find a stone with different colouring.

So (through all that jibberish) Is this a dumb idea or a good way about getting what I want?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff would be the best judge of how a re-cut of this stone would turn out. Alternatively, you could show him a picture of the stone and ask him to source the rough. Jeff is great to work with and has fair prices.

Proteus

Shiny_Rock
It''s a Portuguese style cut, so it''s bound to be a bit bulgy in the pavilion. It also appears to window around the culet area, which means that lowest pavilion tier of facets is too shallow. That will increase the weight losses to recut it to proper proportions. My guess is that to spruce up the optics and symmetry, you''d lose as much as 2 carats off that thing (worse case scenario.) Best case, maybe 1 carat of weight loss. It''s quite hard to tell with only 1 picture.

I have to agree that asking the cutter to source rough is probably the better option. Rough tourmaline that would cut a 5-6 carat stone is not terribly uncommon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really like the stone a lot, you can ask AJS to "spruce up" the stone with a touch of polishing here and there to close the window without losing much carat weight (maybe 0.02 to 0.05 cts thereabouts). The cutting doesn''t look bad at all, and appears better than most native cuts. I do have to agree with Proteus though that pink tourmalines are plentiful in large sizes so don''t feel pressured to get this one.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Ok cool! I am prepared to lose 2cts of this stone! 4cts is nice size. Ok I best be getting a quote off Jeff White.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results