shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good emerald cut?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im not at my desk to check the crystal but the cut looks good, if the crystal is good its worth looking at in person.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whats the comment section of the report say about the material and the color and clarity?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ping @Kim N @DejaWiz can you check the crystal on this one in case I dont get back tonight?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Crystal quality looks fine in the video, although I'm not able to zoom in to try and identify any red flags.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very good to my eyes.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
@Karl_K @DejaWiz @Kim N
It’s here! Looks eye clean with no odd tints or fluorescence/phosphorescence. The facets near the center appear to reflect the girdle facets, so I assume this is only suitable for an open setting? Thoughts? There’s a third video in the link.

Is it eye clean? I feel like I can very easily see some inclusions but not sure if they’re just dirt? D013F472-84B7-47F8-B324-67E8CC6048EF.jpeg 2F3B6331-5EE9-47D4-86DD-163F3C1F9A47.jpeg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
That’s just lint/sweat. The inclusions are only in the corners and can be seen in the vendor video.

It’s hard to align the ASET to take a good image.
IMG_1603.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you love it?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
That’s just lint/sweat. The inclusions are only in the corners and can be seen in the vendor video.

It’s hard to align the ASET to take a good image.
IMG_1603.jpeg

Oh thank goodness! I swear emeralds pick up everything but they are so beautiful!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Do you love it?

I think I would love it more if the 2 long green steps next to the center steps gather light from a higher angle. I like the rest of it a lot. I don’t know if that’s being a bit too picky.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I would love it more if the 2 long green steps next to the center steps gather light from a higher angle. I like the rest of it a lot. I don’t know if that’s being a bit too picky.

some do, some don't like it.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Yes

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I’m looking for a pair of 1 carat emerald cuts as sides and would appreciate extra sets of eyes to take a look at these options. Which are your favorites?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
These are the emerald cuts I ended up with. All are HPHT grown with no visible fluorescence or blue nuance. The 1.02 D has light yellow phosphorescence.

Carat1.024.201.05
ColorDFE
Measurements6.86 x 4.75 x 3.17 mm11.15 x 7.68 x 5.13 mm6.94 x 4.81 x 3.21 mm
Ratio1.441.451.44
Depth66.7%66.8%66.7%
Table64%63.5%63%
Crown Angle3435.334.6
Crown Height14%14%14.5%
Pavilion Angle39.841.440
Pavilion Depth49%50%49%
Vendor videos

Pardon the lint in my videos, the diamonds are all eye clean.

It’s much harder to find good matching emerald cuts than expected. Almost tempted to go with branded/custom cuts, but didn’t want to pay the premium for a fun project.

Search was based on checking for attractive facet patterning and minimal tilt windows in the vendor videos, and then checking out the diamonds in person. It just turned out that the most attractive ones have similar proportions.

I returned a F with blue nuance that looked great by itself, but really odd next to others with no blue nuance. The blue nuance in the 1 carat F color emerald cut was much more visible than the blue nuance in the bigger E/F/G rounds I have.

Hope this is helpful for others shopping for emerald cuts. I’ll be checking out 3 stone ring settings next. If you see anything with interesting gallery details, please share!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Those look spectacular. May I ask where they're coming from?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Egads! How do they do it? Yours look really well-cut.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Mind if I ask how much they were? And how long did you search and how many do you think you looked at? Emeralds enchant me but also intimidate me. But maybe education and patience are the key?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
@Ibrakeforpossums :oops2: After checking my records the bigger one was actually from dreamstone. I think pricing was similar so I went with dreamstone for more secure packaging based on my experience with both vendors at the time. The 1 ct pair was from loosegrowndiamond and was priced lower than other vendors. The latest packaging from loosegrowndiamond is now as secure as other vendors.

@0515vision The bigger one was a lucky find. I was shopping for a 4 ct+ HPHT H&A round and was curious what a comparable 4 ct+ HPHT well cut EC would cost. It showed up in my search and I tracked it. When the price dropped below 3k I was finally tempted to take a look in person.

The search for the 1 ct pair took around 3 months. I browsed through hundreds of thumbnails and looked at dozens of vendor videos. It sounds intimidating, but it took an hour at most twice a month to browse through thumbnails and look at videos. It was more frustrating to keep finding potential options that don’t match up in size or facet patterning. I only returned one order because the blue nuance was more visible than expected based on the vendor video.

I limited my search to 0.8 to 1.1 ct, D/E/F, VVS/VS, 1.44 to 1.46 ratio for what I consider a good pairing for the bigger EC. Doing the search today on adiamor for stones under 1000/ct (rough branded cut pricing at 1 ct) gives 1100 results. With a quick browse of the first 100 lowest priced ones, I ignore roughly half the thumbnails showing stock images or horizontal stones. I find the rotating videos of vertical ECs much more helpful in assessing cut. Out of the remaining half, only a few have attractive facet patterns and clean looking material to call for a closer look at videos. Only 1 stands out to me with attractive patterning and minimal tilt windows for a potential look in person out of the first 100 lowest priced ones.

Repeat the same process for the next 1000 and there may be 10 more that are worth a potential look in person. The frustrating part is that these potential options may not match up within 0.1 mm in size and the facet patterning may differ too much to be a good pair. Subsequent searches are easier as only a limited number of stones are added a few times a month to the updated listings. It would be a much easier time if you are shopping for an individual EC and not too picky with the exact ratio or facet patterning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results