shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond

whttiger25

Rough_Rock
Hey all, I purchased and received the following diamond for pretty much exactly $17k.

Cut: Round Brilliant Triple-Excellent
Carat: 1.50
Clarity: Flawless
Color: F
Flouresence: Medium Blue
Crown: 36 Degrees
Pavilion: 40.6 Degrees
Table: 57%
Depth: 62%

HCA: 1.8 (Near Firey Ideal)

I understand flawless clarity won't be visually noticable but I believe the recipient will be extra happy with a "mind-clean" diamond, as she loves gemstones and geology and I think knowing it is flawless will be special.

I received the diamond and to me it was beautiful. However, I took it to the local jewelry shop to talk about settings and get their opinion on the diamond, and while they said I got a good deal, they told me the flouresence was an issue. They said things like

"Are you stuck with it?"
"I've been in this business 30 years and I've never intentionally sold a medium flouresence diamond to a customer, especially in a high color stone like an F. I can just tell by looking at it, it's less brilliant than it could be."
"GIA doesn't have clear guidelines on what medium means, it could be much closer to strong than you realize"
"Cut doesnt' really matter, as long as it is triple excellent"

I then asked them to show me a similar color stone without flouresence and I couldn't really see a difference. I've also taken it outside in the sunlight and it looks sparkly and clear.

I'm no expert - it looks beautiful to me. Are they just trying to get me to buy a stone from them? How bad could "medium" flouresence possibly be? Was it a good price for a reason??

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like some folks were pissed that they didn't sell it to you. The competition is always the worst person to ask for a second opinion.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I think they just want to sell you a stone -- the "cut doesn't really matter" comment is especially concerning. I think you probably don't see a problem in the diamond from the fluorescence because there isn't one. My diamond, an E according to GIA, has medium blue fluorescence and it is as clear and brilliant as can be.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't listen to them. It sounds beautiful, and they sound jealous they didn't get your business!

whttiger25

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, you just confirmed my suspicions, I appreciate it!

I also thought it was funny, they said I would notice the flouresence more if the diamond got dirty

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They probably just wanted to get it all dirty and compare it to a nice clean one. "Look! See how less sparkly it is!" Well, no duh!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results