shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a good diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elitelight

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I recently found one diamond that I really liked from a local jewelry shop. I have used the HCA, which gave me a score of 1.1 based on the AGS and GIA reports. Is this a good diamond? Do you think the crown angle may be too big?

GIA
6.64x6.66x4.10
Cut: round
Clarity VS2
Color E
Weight 1.09
total depth 61.6%
Table 55%
polish, symmetry both are excellent
Girdle medium
Culet None
Fluorescence None

AGS report

Cut AGS ideal 0

Crown depth 15.8%
Crown angle 34.9
Pavilion depth 62.9%
Pavilion angle 40.7
Girdle 0.9%-1.5%
table 55%

What else should I check with this diamond?

The GIA certificate date was dated Jan of 2002. Do you recommend to get a new certificate for this diamond?

thanks for any help

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a great choice!

Crown and pavilion angles work in tandem: so the combination is what matters (this is what HCA evaluates) rather than each measure separately. Therefore I would not worry about that angle given the high HCA score.

And the cert is fresh enough: I would probablt start questioning them after three times this age, but I have yet to hear that two years are too much. While there is a good reason to have diamond re-appraised (given the long-term price trend affecting replaceent value), lab reports are much more enduring.

What else? In terms of number you have not left any stone untirned. it would be great to see a LightSchope picture of it: but the chances that this stone looks dead are very low indeed. A good return policy is probably all you may still want from the provider of this diamond, I would say...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it should be a great stone. Have a trusted appraiser examine it to verify that it performs as you should and you've found a winner.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a nice one on paper, and it's great that you've had a chance to look it over in the store. The only points I'd add are:

Did you compare the price with what the "usual suspects" here on pscope would sell this for? A bit of a premium for a local purchase is understandable, but thousands of dollars is not.

Did you get to see it in varying lighting conditions, not just the jewelry store spotlights?

If this stone is part of their inventory, I understand why it might not have turned over in two years.

Did you get a clear explanation of and a look at the inclusions?

Choon

Rough_Rock
i would say you have choosen a good stone. With GIA and AGS certification and with that stats... you are in the right path. If you are in the US the i would think price difference do matter but if you are from another country, then i would say its ok to pay more to get it locally then overseas cause you will have your jewellery store to fall back on.

just my 2 cents

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a very nice selection! Bonus is that you've seen it locally and it must really pop. I would second the suggestion that you be sure you are not paying huge markups. B&M should be more pricey, but there may be a limit to what you'd like to pay. E.g. 10% may be acceptable by 40% is not. It's your decision, just be sure you cover all the bases, and as AL suggested, double check your purchase with an independent appraisal to make sure all the numbers check out.

Congratulations!
2.gif

Choon

Rough_Rock
oh yes not 40%......i will be a rich men by now if i can charge such high premium
2.gif

Good luck

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If the pavilion is 42.9% and not 62.9% it's indeed a great stone on the paper!
2.gif
9.gif

Congrats!
appl.gif

elitelight

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all who replied. I bought it since they have a 30days unconditional return policy. and they are also willing to do another GIA cert for free. I asked them to do another one, and am now waiting for the stone to return.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results