shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
Here is the diamond in question:

It is GIA certified.

Weight: 1.52
Color: E
Clarity SI1
Table: 58 %
Depth: 59.2%
Crown: 33.5 degrees
Pavillion: 40.6 degrees
Cut: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

Price is around 12K.

Thanks for the help.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
59.2% depth, 58% table, 33.5° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle, HCA 0.7

From the numbers it looks good, maybe a little shallow. Do you have an IS image of it? Price is slightly high given that it is cut graded VG.

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
I do not currently have an IS image of the diamond. It is at a "brick and mortar" store. I do think the diamond is slightly expensive. I think it is due to the fact I am getting a great deal on the setting. At least I think I am getting a great deal. This diamond would be set in a Jack Kelege Imperial Crown Halo setting. They are qouting me 6500 for the setting.

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
I also put the numbers into the HCA here on pricescope and it scored a .7

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
too shallow for my taste.

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
Another one they are showing me is as follows

GIA certified

Weight: 1.55
Color: H
Clarity SI1
Table: 57 %
Depth: 62.7%
Crown: 34.5 degrees
Pavillion: 41.6 degrees
Cut: Excellent

Price is around 10K.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pavilion angle is too deep on the second one.

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
I have a question. Why do you guys not like a shallow diamond? What does this take away from the stone?

Also why did it rate so high in the HCA?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shallower stones have a tendency to look dark, especially if viewed closely. This one is outside the GIA and AGS parameters for their top grade.

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
so what would you recommend for depth?

GemologistK

Rough_Rock
Good diamond (1.52ct), Usually GIA wiil not give it excellent grade if it was too shallow !
What is the girdle thickness ?

The price is not too bad either, maybe better around 10,000.00

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 6:38:55 PM
Author: GemologistK
Good diamond (1.52ct), Usually GIA wiil not give it excellent grade if it was too shallow !

What is the girdle thickness ?

The price is not too bad either, maybe better around 10,000.00
It got Very Good from GIA.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can go higher in depth, like 63%, and still have a good stone if the angles work together. A top grade from GIA or AGS, combined with <2 on the HCA, should be your target.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everyone!
THEWOOD- neither the GIA or most in the trade would say that 59.2% is "shallow"
Generally speaking, when a diamond is cut too shallow, there is a "fish eye effect"- which is a ring that shows inside the table.
If a diamond is too deep, it will have a dark center.

It''s important to remember that if two stones are well cut, one being 60% depth, the other being 62%, in many cases the shallower stone will appear to be larger- so going deeper does have down sides as well.

Generally folks around here like "Ideal" cut diamonds- which tend to be slightly deeper than other well cut diamonds.
But that does not mean that other combinations of depth table are not beautiful. Many people choose slightly larger, 60%+- depth stones after looking at both.,
Neither is "wrong" it''s personal preference.
You''re in a great position to look at both stones since you''re shopping B&M.
Have a look for yourself and see which you love better.
IN terms of the GIA grade, "Excellent" is the top grade- but there are MANY awesome stones getting"only" Very Good" on the cut grade-

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 6:52:43 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
HI Everyone!

THEWOOD- neither the GIA or most in the trade would say that 59.2% is 'shallow'

Generally speaking, when a diamond is cut too shallow, there is a 'fish eye effect'- which is a ring that shows inside the table.

If a diamond is too deep, it will have a dark center.

It's important to remember that if two stones are well cut, one being 60% depth, the other being 62%, in many cases the shallower stone will appear to be larger- so going deeper does have down sides as well.

Generally folks around here like 'Ideal' cut diamonds- which tend to be slightly deeper than other well cut diamonds.

But that does not mean that other combinations of depth table are not beautiful. Many people choose slightly larger, 60%+- depth stones after looking at both.,

Neither is 'wrong' it's personal preference.

You're in a great position to look at both stones since you're shopping B&M.

Have a look for yourself and see which you love better.

IN terms of the GIA grade, 'Excellent' is the top grade- but there are MANY awesome stones getting'only' Very Good' on the cut grade-
You forgot darkness due to obstruction.

Anyway, THEWOOD, as long as you think it looks good, that is what matters.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 5:43:53 PM
Author:THEWOOD

It is GIA certified.

Clarity SI1

Price is around 12K.

Thanks for the help.
If the lgf% aka lower halfs are on the long side it can be a very good combo.
It would tend to favor brightness over fire which some people like.
I would say that the GIA grade is a little harsh if the lgf% is on the long side and about right if they are around 75%.
Trust your eyes, if it speaks to you after viewing it in multiple lighting conditions and comparing it to a more traditional ideal cut then go for it.
Price is high for internet pricing but b&m prices run higher.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
OP should just go a take a look again at the 1.52c diamond in question, since it is at a B&M store and not online, and try to see if the obstruction is significant to him. If not noticeable, then it should be good to go. Maybe OP should try and get an idealscope?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 8:06:44 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/9/2009 5:43:53 PM
Author:THEWOOD

It is GIA certified.

Clarity SI1

Price is around 12K.

Thanks for the help.
If the lgf% aka lower halfs are on the long side it can be a very good combo.
It would tend to favor brightness over fire which some people like.
I would say that the GIA grade is a little harsh if the lgf% is on the long side and about right if they are around 75%.
Trust your eyes, if it speaks to you after viewing it in multiple lighting conditions and comparing it to a more traditional ideal cut then go for it.
Price is high for internet pricing but b&m prices run higher.
Ditto!

THEWOOD

Rough_Rock
What is lgf%?

I am trying to get an idealscope from the store. I have already seen this diamond in person and really liked it. I was comparing it against a a 1.52 G VS2 vg ex ex...dont have the specs on that one right now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 10:32:53 AM
Author: THEWOOD
What is lgf%?

I am trying to get an idealscope from the store. I have already seen this diamond in person and really liked it. I was comparing it against a a 1.52 G VS2 vg ex ex...dont have the specs on that one right now.
Lower girdle facets - lgf. You can read more here -

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/articles.aspx?articleid=154&zoneid=14

If you have seen it and compared it to others and really liked it, then it sounds as if it is a potential purchase candidate.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All!
THEWOOD- it's not likely that your jeweler will be willing/ able to provide an idealscope image.
ALthough such images are very common here, they are not all that common out in "the real world"
If you can get one, that's great- people here will do a great job of anilyzing it.
BUt the lack of IS images, if you are comfortable with the seller, is no concern at all.
You are looking at diamonds graded by GIA ( extremely important) and nothing you have posted from the GIA reports indicates any problem whatsover to me.

GemologistK

Rough_Rock
Hi David,

I agree with what you said 100%, Excellent Advice. The diamond in question has an excellent
symmetry which has a good impact on the critical angles hence a good return of brilliance and scintillations.

Joe
RGA, NAJA

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 10:32:53 AM
Author: THEWOOD
What is lgf%?

I wanted to add also I doubt you will be able to get one from a jewellery store, it doesn''t seem as if they are commonly available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results